SIGMA Hurry

Threads that no longer serve a purpose. Read-only.
Helzopro
Ice Clan
577 | 48
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
What the fuck is this sigma everyone keeps crying about? Can I give eth warp blade for alpha access?
suchbalance
Team Member
1756 | 513
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Skill Badge
Experienced Player
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Great Mind Badge
A Median XL guru... a true book of knowledge
Use glide wrapper, you can set a static window size of up to 1600x1200, and it doesn't look as pixelated as a stretched direct video window.
Marco
Team Member
1952 | 1347
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Multiplayer Badge
Has won a multiplayer contest
Median XL Team Member
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
RandomOnions wrote:Sigma is life half life 3 at this point. Might as well kept it a secret until 1-2 years before release. Hyping something for like 100 years only makes it worse due to the rising expectations. But let's see

The only reason why it was announced was because I genuinely trusted the core would be finished by aug 2016 which is what I was told. Of course, a year later, the core still remains at it's "90% ready" and some of the main tasks (i.e. GUI completion) still don't seem to be fully prioritized. If you want a honest opinion, I don't think a core release will be there in less than 2 years and probably add an extra year before it's stable and realm-playable. That's implying it ever sees a release. But I'm not counting on it, so going all in on m17 patch and it's def not doing bad. Only regret is a lot of dev time wasted in 2016 for sigma that now we have to spend time porting to 1.1 - but at least you guys are getting years worth of content in as little as a couple months.
whist
Team Member
634 | 557
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Median XL Team Member
:roll:

It took years to make Diablo II. With a team of more or less 24 persons, probably more in the end of the project. With a big company backing them. And even then they didn't manage to finish all of it in time. If you look into classic Diablo II code, you can find quite a few bits that indicate the expansion was already in work. Chances are they were too short in their deadlines and decided to cut it out to later release it as an expansion.

I'm alone. A one dev team. And I'm working on this within my free time. Sure I'm not rewriting the whoooole game, but I'm not writing source code from scratch either, I'm reversing & rewriting it, so in the end my work is doubled and so it doesn't really make a difference if I'm writing the whole game at this point, it becomes more or less equivalent.

A realistic ETA is nearly impossible to give, because every time I work on something, I stumble upon blizzard's dumbfuckery and the task ends up taking ten times the time it should have taken. There's also a very few cases where it turned out to be easier than accounted for. Sure I did give out some estimated ETA, but don't blame me if I couldn't meet them, it is what it is, this cannot possibly be planned precisely.

I'm not sure what you expected really. It takes you months making the content on the softcoded side for a new patch and it's just editing freaking excel tables. It's not really hard to figure out that the code side of things takes much more time.

It's the price to pay to push the engine beyond it's limits and allow us to do about just anything we want with it. It's an investment.
And I'm getting really tired to be the jackass everyone blames for it not being released. It's even funnier when I'm the only one currently working on it. I never stopped working on it, and stopping working on it like you did really is going backwards and is what may really lead to a "no release". I've wasted hours working out the code for MXL2017, I spend hours investigating bugs that are caused by half-done softcoded content in the MXLS build, etc. As if I hadn't already enough work as it is.
Marco
Team Member
1952 | 1347
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Multiplayer Badge
Has won a multiplayer contest
Median XL Team Member
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
I wasn't making a blame post for you to defend yourself. At the time of the MXLS announcement (march '16) the core was 90% done and expected to be released in june '16 - that's a 3 month deadline, which is usually the timeframe we use to make announcement topics. That's what I was told, whether you want to take responsibility or not idc. Yes I am responsible for announcing it but not the reason it's still not out.

And I'm pretty sure I'm the idiot taking blame for it (such as any MXL related problem) but who the hell cares about the blame game? There is no point in attacking each other and if you felt like I did I'm sorry - I am just stating the facts. The only thing that really matters here is the product (not us as e-gods), and that is reason for my clarification, because aside from the sigma memes, there are tons of people still sitting there thinking it will be released in a matter of weeks.
Nitz
Harpylisk
1476 | 57
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
whist wrote:And I'm getting really tired to be the jackass everyone blames for it not being released. It's even funnier when I'm the only one currently working on it. I never stopped working on it, and stopping working on it like you did really is going backwards and is what may really lead to a "no release". I've wasted hours working out the code for MXL2017, I spend hours investigating bugs that are caused by half-done softcoded content in the MXLS build, etc. As if I hadn't already enough work as it is.

MX2017 was awesome and 1.1 sounds great. We get so much from you guys. Thanks.
HechtHeftig
I paid 10$ for this.
2452 | 190
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Whist, we all can guess how much work you're putting into it. It's more than 99% of us would be willing to spend. Imho I'd prefer a final product over a bug infested unstable engine, so please take all the time you need.

We're happy either way because this mod still receives love from you guys. We're counting on you all, so please keep up the good work!

Thank you for all the love you're willing to put into the game!
Orr
Monkey King
285 | 7
:lurk:
RandomOnions
Sand Maggot
1148 | 50
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Marco wrote:
RandomOnions wrote:Sigma is life half life 3 at this point. Might as well kept it a secret until 1-2 years before release. Hyping something for like 100 years only makes it worse due to the rising expectations. But let's see

Important text

Well I wasn't directly complaining about the content, and i'm happy sigma is moving forward in development. But it's easy for something to get overhyped. Not blaming you or whist just to clarify
Helzopro
Ice Clan
577 | 48
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
I feel as if most of the loyal player base don't really care when sigma gets released, we just want to have fun and enjoy the time we have with MedianXL, looking forward to every patch you put out!