What are the rules for voting rights?

Threads that no longer serve a purpose. Read-only.
Shade
|
This discussion started in the SP Miniguides thread (Guides forum) but it was suggested that it should be taken outside since it's not about guides as such. So...

TL;DR: What are the rules about voting? Why is it that some people can vote and others can't (even some people with positive cookie counts can't vote)?

LONGER VERSION: Including relevant posts from the Miniguides thread:

ChuckNoRis wrote:
Solfege wrote:What I'm curious about is why some people aren't allowed to vote at all, and what triggers the suspension of one's voting privilege.
me too . i can't vote since more than a year ago . but w/e i can live without that just as fine

+1 to that. Having thought about it for a while I'm curious about that too.

This made me wonder:
Fumbles wrote:Of the 19 votes that chuck cast before he mysteriously couldn't vote anymore, 11 of them were negs. Did he really find that many many posts worthy of a down vote? Was he downvoting people who disagree with him? I think a person would really have to go out of their way to find that many posts to neg in the time they cookie 8 posts. He lost his privilege to vote because he was clearly abusing the system himself.

So... if you use down-vote too much then your voting rights are revoked? Is it done by software or is someone making a subjective judgement?

It would be a bit worrying if someone is making these decisions behind the scenes without publishing the rules so that people know where they stand. Whichever way it's done, people don't seem to be informed that it's happened, or given a reason (which would be normal).
HechtHeftig
I paid 10$ for this.
2452 | 190
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
It's been a long time since I read something as irrelevant as this.

Seriously: who cares about the voting system? If someone's right to vote was denied, there must've been a reason. That's something that the mods are worrying about. No need to worry about it yourself.

If someone is desperate to be able to vote, he just needs to create a new account, create a thread saying "I ve played this mod since forever, I love it. Thanks for all the hard work!". Fill that with positive words to get that basic message to 8 lines, talk about how great the community is in another 4 lines and see the upvotes coming in.
Aspirine101
Lesbimale™
374 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
kek voting system is almost same thing as reddit karma, caring about it is quite autistic
Goodkidscc
Core Lord
369 | 0
I got my voting privileges revoked when someone cried about me neg voting stupid shit they posted.

Why even have a voting system if you aren't allowed to neg vote?
Jammy
Mangler
480 | 126
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Goodkidscc wrote:Why even have a voting system if you aren't allowed to neg vote?

You're allowed to give negative votes. What you're not allowed to do is basically harass someone by following them around and neg voting all of their posts.
Anonymous:
Memelistas
2974 | 437
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
memberlist.php needs an option to sort by +/- cookie given. Would give so much about amazing community.
Goodkidscc
Core Lord
369 | 0
Jammy wrote:
Goodkidscc wrote:Why even have a voting system if you aren't allowed to neg vote?

You're allowed to give negative votes. What you're not allowed to do is basically harass someone by following them around and neg voting all of their posts.

I dislike this post.

You see what I had to do there? Don't you see how limited I am?
Solfege
Harpylisk
1461 | 209
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
The forum isn't a democracy, it's a Marcocracy(TM). :) And caring about cookies is no different than ppl caring about forum badges, TG, first to 121, top of the ladder, first Void Charm, etc. It's all irrelevant in the grand scheme, but they still serve as an indicator of a person's standing on the forum.

As I said before, the cookie system is nothing more than a high-school popularity contest. It's meant to highlight good posts and discourage bad posts, but it often just devolves into ppl upvoting/downvoting the person rather than the post.

To quote MLK, "I have a dream that one day people will not be judged by the color of their character but by the content of their posts."
Jammy
Mangler
480 | 126
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Median XL Team Member
Goodkidscc wrote:
Jammy wrote:
Goodkidscc wrote:You see what I had to do there? Don't you see how limited I am?

Then I guess you shouldn't have abused the system...
Jammy
Mangler
480 | 126
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Median XL Team Member
Solfege wrote:As I said before, the cookie system is nothing more than a high-school popularity contest. It's meant to highlight good posts and discourage bad posts, but it often just devolves into ppl upvoting/downvoting the person rather than the post.

Exactly this. Also everyone can earn voting rights. Earn one positive cookie and have at least 10 posts. But ofc if you abuse it, it's going to get taken away. Don't cry, just follow the rules. Simple.