This mod is everything but diablo.

Threads that no longer serve a purpose. Read-only.
darkstorm
Core Lord
384 | 0
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Mmeee wrote:Honestly I was very sceptical when I saw the tailer, but the positive feedback got better of me so I gave it a try.

Now Im quite confused what exactly is this mod trying to be, because sometimes it implies its "median xl", but other times it almost claims to be diablo game. So if the median xl is indeed supposed to be its own game, but just ripping off diablo series flame and premade game, to use as base for their own... Well then I will just say that its a pathetic way to "make" games. If this however is supposed to be some kind of diablo game... Then I got lot more to say!

First few minutes spent with the game (menus included) already make it pretty clear that modders are just modders, not game developers. We can already see that the atmosphere is completely ruined pretty much everywhere we look. Tons of changes that has no meaning or reason, adding nothing of value, just destroying polished professional game design.

First is the mainmenu, out of nowhere we have next generation animation playing in the menus and the textures of everything has changed to much worse, what purpose does this have? Diablo 2 had literally perfect menu already, more so if compared to this random mix of 2 generations of visuals.

Second big thing... Rogue encampment, why did you change this too? It didint add anything of value again, only broke one of most nostalgic scenes in gaming history.

This list just grows everywhere we look, every carefully builded environment is ruined with completely random enemies that has no business being there, they are literally just as easy as the regular enemies of zones, making no differences to gameplay, only destroying the graphical balance of game, I mean wtf... We even have some horrible new models (random mushrooms and ugly ass parody pope cultists etc). And why does everything have to come with colors of rainbow and lighting effects that are like new years eve.

But lets move on from the once amazing athmosphere. Lets talk about the class remakes. Again, all good things, poof, gone. Not improved and expanded upon, just removed and replaced with what looks like 15years old kids idea of adding every random thing that they can even remotely link to the class and which they think to be cool, leaving us with necromancer sharpshootter scytheninja tribe shaman whatever bullshit that class is supposed to be... Again, only good thing in this is that it has the model of necro and can still somewhat be the zooafker that I always loved, except I dont rise skeletons but purple gorillas and midgets led by skeleton king who summons wierd as rapist thingies. So yeah, pretty speechless.

Lets talk about items. My character gains like 50hp per level or something crazy, but the new rare ring I just looted adds +6 hp, what a joy of discovery. Also 5 minutes in the game, wild unique armor appears with 2000 defence. Also everyone and their mother drops blue #blueisthenewwhite. So after giving my unique armor of godlikehack to merc (who surprisingly was not turned to dwarf who farts, but was the original except this time it was nicely imoroved and expanded unlike everything else), I realised that I walked to act2 with lvl1 shop gear without losing any of my 1500hp (+6 from my rare ring). Idk what was protecting me from the invasion of black knights and whatnot, but it sure as hell wasnt anything itemrelated. I mean who wants to optimize gear in arpg right? Also, the cool context of discovering runewords was changed to 1 rune gives demigodpowers so not really runewords anymore, also heres a list of all the runes #fuckcommunitydiscovering. Aaand your best item now sells for 3 gold. Aaaand dungeon gold chests drop normal diablo 2 rarities aka 2 magic items. Just like every monster.

And the ui. Why just why. Again, 90% of textures replaced with trashtier art, including your characters face.

I obviously didint play long enough to truly enjoy the amazing promised lategame content (Im sure its just as good as everything in this masterpiece that is so much better than diablo 3), but thats because I came to play diablo, not this, whatever the hell this is.

mxl is a mod changing gameplay with implementing new skills, balancing mechanics and adding new enemies( esp. uberquests as they used to be called last ladder) .

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/62677/live-action-bestiary-preserving-monsters-for-posterity
here u got most of mxl implemented to d2lod reality monsters, they r based mostly on icewind dale / baldur's gate / planescape: torment saga( generaly d&d games) . those sprites were merely fitting to the game - rn im working on my own sprite and i can tell u it's not easy at all to make one :arrow: http://www.kevinbertel.com/diablo2/?char=AI&type=2HS&anim=A1&hd=LIT&tr=LIT&lg=LIT&ra=LIT&la=LIT&s1=LIT&s2=LIT&rh=CLM&lh=0&sh=0&&submit=Build

surroundings havn't changed a lot, it's improved with a new areas and already existing d2lod used and unused models
:arrow: http://paul.siramy.free.fr/_divers/ds1/dl_ds1edit.html
also map editing is not so easy.

i cannot say if the balance of items is so shitty rn, it wasn't last week...
however i think the game was great and switched diablo farming based game style into the challange way one. have u tried any uberquest already?
Prime_Evil
Kraken Guard
2331 | 213
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
gg

/thread
Mmeee
Imp
5 | 0
you could add gameplay and improve classes without the need to destroy everything that is d2lod. Im not saying that the ideas of endgame imorovements is bad, Im saying ruining everything else is. I was hoping this mod was about imoroving and expanding d2lod, not about making shitshow called median xl with stolen graphics, code and music from d2lod.
robinro
Azure Drake
162 | 4
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Mmeee wrote:you could add gameplay and improve classes without the need to destroy everything that is d2lod. Im not saying that the ideas of endgame imorovements is bad, Im saying ruining everything else is. I was hoping this mod was about imoroving and expanding d2lod, not about making shitshow called median xl with stolen graphics, code and music from d2lod.

just play d2lod then?
all you wrote is just your subjective opinion. there is a community which really likes and enjoys the mod.
also this -> "stolen graphics, code and music from d2lod" shows that you have no idea what the word "mod" means.
ofc they use this stuff. its a mod.
titan015
Stone Warrior
33 | 4
You sound just like that lame Mr.Llama (or whatever his name is) youtuber seriously. I remembered when he first tried playing median xl and at the very first five minutes he was already full of whine. He and you got so used to vanilla d2 that you refused to any change to it. If thats the case then why in the hell did you even try a mod. Go back to your classic d2.
HechtHeftig
I paid 10$ for this.
2452 | 190
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Lol best troll thread ever!

On one hand you complain about the visuals changing so much. On the other hand you call it a rip-off of old nostalgic stuff. LOL!!! Make up your mind ;)
Splift
Dark Huntress
14 | 0
if we wanted diablo we'd play diablo

if we wanted a tweaked rebalanced diablo there are dozens of mods that do that as well

this mod uses the beloved d2 catalyst to make something new
tranvanhieu
Grubber
310 | 2
Nah, this guy is just a troll.

Don't feed the troll.
Prime_Evil
Kraken Guard
2331 | 213
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Prime_Evil wrote:gg

/thread
RinusDiablo
Fallen
1 | 0
I do feel the same as OP.

This is not D2. It's MedianXL sigma. I hoped Sigma would be the D2 sequel I wanted, but it's a MedianXl game. Flashy skills, whole screen covered in spells and such. I cannot see what I am doing as an example. I mean I was doing lovely with a PSN necro, then in act 2 I hired a shapeshifter, which fires whirlwinds, etc. At the same time I faced new enemies and I just couldn't see what I was doing or if I was in danger. (playing HC). I understand why people like this and I understand why people play this.

On the otherside I hope this new engine can help other modders to enhance and improve D2: LOD, by expaning the game with a new act, new maps, rifts and much more. Keeping the same spells/skill, adding new 'realistic' runewords, adding a few new spells, but not too crazy. Just keeping the boots on the ground, and giving the game quality of life stuff, like auto goldpick up, improved stashsize, etc. This new engine has potential for MedianXL staff, and for people who wants D2 and D2 lore.

Yours,

Ivy.