Median XL 2017 1.3.1, PlugY and D2SE Install Guide

Threads that no longer serve a purpose. Read-only.
cairenn12
Skeleton
3 | 0
Stahri wrote:Does Median XL load up without PlugY? I had a problem where I had extracted some files to the wrong location but the whole game would not load. Not just when trying to use PlugY.

Since you dont even touch PlugY during the install I dont see why there would be a problem with it.

Sorry if im not much help! Im kinda new to troubleshooting these things.

Yeah Median XL loads up without Plugy, even with the checkbox inside D2SE ticked. I don't get it either why it is not working, especially since like you said Plugy comes with D2SE.

Thanks for your help, I'm going to try a fresh install and see if that fixes my problem.

Edit: I tried it just now without changing anything and it works now.. wtf! Truly strange but I'm not gonna question it. Thanks for your help and guide!
Stahri
Cultist
22 | 3
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
cairenn12 wrote:
Stahri wrote:Does Median XL load up without PlugY? I had a problem where I had extracted some files to the wrong location but the whole game would not load. Not just when trying to use PlugY.

Since you dont even touch PlugY during the install I dont see why there would be a problem with it.

Sorry if im not much help! Im kinda new to troubleshooting these things.

Yeah Median XL loads up without Plugy, even with the checkbox inside D2SE ticked. I don't get it either why it is not working, especially since like you said Plugy comes with D2SE.

Thanks for your help, I'm going to try a fresh install and see if that fixes my problem.

Edit: I tried it just now without changing anything and it works now.. wtf! Truly strange but I'm not gonna question it. Thanks for your help and guide!

Haha, that is great. Have fun!
wallacethefmh
Fallen
1 | 0
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
I followed the guide exactly as stated and it didn't work for me on Windows 10. I tried re-installing 3 times to different paths before I realized that something else was wrong.

The problem I had was that D2SE program must be set to Windows XP (service pack 3) compatibility mode. (as well as running as admin, but this was set automatically on install for me)

You should be able to double click the Median XL icon in the D2SE program to launch the game. If when you click on the Median XL icon, D2SE closes, and then nothing else happens, you need to set the compatibility mode.

Once I did this, I have PlugY, MedianXL, and Glide working fine. I have no problem with Glide and Full Screen mode.
Locke31
Fallen
1 | 0
Herds and herds of THANKS... following this I got it to work perfectly. E-Plugy and all :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Suss
Imp
4 | 0
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
wallacethefmh wrote:I followed the guide exactly as stated and it didn't work for me on Windows 10. I tried re-installing 3 times to different paths before I realized that something else was wrong.

The problem I had was that D2SE program must be set to Windows XP (service pack 3) compatibility mode. (as well as running as admin, but this was set automatically on install for me)

You should be able to double click the Median XL icon in the D2SE program to launch the game. If when you click on the Median XL icon, D2SE closes, and then nothing else happens, you need to set the compatibility mode.

Once I did this, I have PlugY, MedianXL, and Glide working fine. I have no problem with Glide and Full Screen mode.

I have the same problem...everything installed according to the guide, but nothing happens.
If I tried clear D2 (not Median), D2SE worked properly
Can anybody help me? :)

Thank you
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
check plugy.ini, that problem sound like you havent include MXL.dll yet.
Suss
Imp
4 | 0
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
iwansquall wrote:check plugy.ini, that problem sound like you havent include MXL.dll yet.

Still nothing...I used also some video guide...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEK05sHalOQ
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
try disable antivirus?

there is couple of extra step you need to take, i believe it is mentioned in patch thread.
TROUBLESHOOTING ERROR #2239
The core was not loaded:
- Make sure dll files are in Diablo II folder and not blocked by windows/antivirus (right click -> properties -> unblock).
- If using PlugY or D2SE, make sure PlugY.ini has this set DllToLoad=MXL.dll
- Run the game as administrator

TROUBLESHOOTING ERROR c000005
- Only PlugY from D2SE Modmanager is supported
- If it happens as you click Multiplayer, you need to add Diablo II to the Windows DEP exception:
Open Explorer, right-click Computer, Advanced System Settings, Advanced tab, Settings in Performance section, Data Execution Prevention tab.
Choose Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select, Add, find Diablo II.exe and game.exe, add them, and press Apply after each.

TROUBLESHOOTING ERROR "Failed to retrieve process"
- Set game.exe and Diablo II.exe to run as administrator.
thedyze
Dark Huntress
13 | 1
i have a similar status here.
explained here : https://forum.median-xl.com/viewtopic.p ... 55#p108755
basicly what i've discovered is that d2se doesnt properly load files from the mods folder. the game starts but hangs on the loading screen.
once i installed also using the installer, which installs the mod in the root of the d2 folder, then starting using d2se "works". i.e it can start and load the game, but plugy is not loaded.
if i remove mxl.dll from the root of the game folder, the error (in the linked post above) is back. time stamp and file size on dll and mpq is exactly the same in the mods folder and game dir.

just tried editing the "ActiveFolder" in d2se.ini and d2se simply doesnt seem to care what i put there, it loads the mod from root folder..
Information window on the d2se startscreen says Folder: MODS\D2SE - Median XL however.
Stahri
Cultist
22 | 3
Suss wrote:
wallacethefmh wrote:I followed the guide exactly as stated and it didn't work for me on Windows 10. I tried re-installing 3 times to different paths before I realized that something else was wrong.

I have the same problem...everything installed according to the guide, but nothing happens.
If I tried clear D2 (not Median), D2SE worked properly
Can anybody help me? :)

Thank you

This is something i overlooked when writing this guide since I mainly use Windows 7. When using Windows 10 you may need to have D2SE.exe and Game.exe running in compatability mode with windows 7. (XP can be done if you would like but my instance on windows 10 did not require I go all the way down to XP)

If you installed D2SE on your C: drive directly there is no need to 'run as administrator' since any program ran directly from the C: drive will always ask for the admin password to run, if you are not an administrator, otherwise you are an admin and do no need to do this anyway since the User Account Control dialogue box appears and you give it admin access by clicking Yes.

The only problems I ran into that had this type of reaction were if I

1) Installed D2 from Blizzard and downgraded to 1.13.
2) I needed to redownload patch_d2.mpq from the m2017-003.1.zip download and replace the one in the C:\Diablo II\MODS\D2SE - Median XL directory.

Make sure you are upgrading to 1.13 and not downgrading from a more current version and also try redownloading and replacing the patch file. It may help.