Grim Dawn: AoM

Threads that no longer serve a purpose. Read-only.
GregMXL
Team Member
10590 | 180
Legendary Posting Badge
Posted over 10.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Great Special Badge
Legend.
Looks good. I might download Ashes. Definitely going to start a new character. Not sure which one though.
I don't mean to dwell...but I can't help myself.
Frytas
Onyx Knight
614 | 97
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Got to lvl 44 with a vitality caster(shaman/occultist). Didn't finish the main story yet, still got the cult/demonic areas to get to, and then probably expansion stuff. The game is alright and is a large improvement over Titan Quest, but many flaws from that game have been ported over to this one, for example the retarded idea of having to level up your skill tree in order to unlock abilities - it's boring and it's such a huge skillpoint sink that you end up with only 1-2 active abilities and a few buffs. Also there are so many worthless affixes that make drops feel unrewarding; I've been running with the same shit for over 20 levels now, lvl 40+ items somehow manage to have less +%vitality damage than level 20 items...
suchbalance
Team Member
1756 | 513
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Skill Badge
Experienced Player
Median XL Team Member
Great Mind Badge
A Median XL guru... a true book of knowledge
Got some free time this weekend so planning to try this. Anyone know where the full expansion patch notes are? Nothing on their site and their forums only show notes for post xpac hotfixes, very weird.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
question: does base Grim dawn is good enough for me to go through 1 time just for storyline.
if not, does it have 3 difficulty like TQ.

what is the class u guys recommended if i wanted a vastly different experience from TQ:A edition.

currently base TQ is kinda like 4 USD for me which is.... i could get multiple games in a bundle elsewhere (witcher 3 goty is 15 USD here lol)
so if it is not worth it yet, im probably will wait until winter sales once AoM get discounted as well.
suchbalance
Team Member
1756 | 513
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Skill Badge
Experienced Player
Median XL Team Member
Great Mind Badge
A Median XL guru... a true book of knowledge
So I just finished everything there is to do on Veteran difficulty in the expansion (lvl 66/100), here's my mini review:

- I'm enjoying playing the game a lot more than last time because I'm playing an Arcanist + Occultist caster who has 7 active non-buff skills and the gameplay is a lot more engaging. My previous dude was some ranged auto attack build that got boring very quickly, some masteries are overall more interesting to play with than others.

- What the expansion adds that I find noteworthy: 2 new acts (total of 6 now), 1 new special endgame dungeon, 1 new secret quest on the final difficulty, a few more endgame "Super bosses", new items, 2 new masteries, higher level cap so more points for your build, story makes more sense now if you care about such stuff.

- What I didn't like: act 6 takes place in a huge city which causes you to often have poor line of sight and makes you spin the camera non-stop, there is no pathing at all in grim dawn meaning that in act 6 you can very often get stuck on doorways or on stairways and your character hitches all over the place which starts to get annoying after the n-th time. 95% of enemies don't bring anything new to the experience being just reskins of old mob types, there is only 1 non-boss enemy type which I found brought something new. Campaign has expanded to a big length where 3 difficulties start feeling tedious, I wish they would reformat the game to cut them down to 2.

- Overall: game is enjoyable and I can now say I definitely prefer it to Titan Quest, a lot of it is because I randomly made a build that interests me this time around however. Expansion costs about 75% of the price of the base game and adds about ~50% more content by my estimate so it's not a horrible deal although not great either. If you liked the base game it's worth picking it up, if you haven't played GD at all then buy the base game only first since the expansion doesn't change the act1-act4 gameplay at all.