Insomnia

Have something to say or share? Everything else comes here!
mahitovec
twitch.tv/mahitovec
1799 | 190
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Showcase Badge
Bored at work? Come watch my stream!
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
:cry:
im working at night last 2 years and all that time im having periodical sleeplessness. anyone has experience how to deal with it? hard to fall asleep, and even when i do i barely sleep 5-6 hours in a row. im using some melatonin pills, but since you can get them w/o recipe, they obviously not working. also im smoking some before going to bed, but that crap doesnt help either

help
Diabloel
Vampiress
38 | 1
efedron
mahitovec
twitch.tv/mahitovec
1799 | 190
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Showcase Badge
Common Guide Badge
lol
and something besides drugs?
Segolia
Djinn
541 | 38
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Insomnia hit me hard about 2 years ago. Basically made me nocturnal, and a lot of it was of course caused by me spending my free time doing non-productive things. I don't know of a fine and effective way of coping with it, other than medication really. Hell, my anti-depressant meds make me drowsy, and I take it after supper. That more or less fixed my sleep schedule and insomnia, even thought it wasn't part of what it was designed to do :P
Gekko64
Shadowgate Totem
1728 | 102
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Quirinus
Team Member
1510 | 184
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
yep, was gonna suggest flux as well.

I didn't really have insomnia, but I did become nocturnal for a long time, and had bad sleep

here's a bunch of things that help (most of them are obvious):
- turning off all or most lights in the evening/night helps a lot, not watching any screens (that light qq), as well. no loud things or noise
- I usually find I fall asleep pretty quickly when I lie down in the bed and read a book (or even watch something, but that's less ideal) with just little light.
- don't do anything like gaming and things that make you excited for a few hours before you plan to sleep
- eating helps to make me feel drowsy and sleepy, but don't think it's very good to do it before sleeping
- have a rough pre-planned time of going to sleep, and try to keep it close to that time every day (+-60 mintues at most, unless some special circumstances happen).
- no naps during the day. go to sleep when you feel sleepy (I don't mean naps), don't delay by reading shit on the internet
- sports and physical activity help a lot, not just because they exhaust you, but because they make you more healthy (same with food)
- I hope you shutter the windows well, during the day while you're sleeping. try to get some light while awake during day.
- the room you sleep in should be slightly cold, and definitely colder than the living room. you can open the window for a short time to get it colder if needed.
- weighty covers and comfortable bed make for better sleep
- sleep just in your underware
- never sleep with lights on
- try not to use alarms, or if you have to, use light ones
- obviously stress and other illneses are detrimental
- meditation helps a bunch
- sex
"but if it's simple it's not that hard" - Quirinus 2017
"small things like this are not a big deal" - Quirinus 2017
mahitovec
twitch.tv/mahitovec
1799 | 190
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Showcase Badge
Common Guide Badge
my window is shuttered 24/7 :D whats with alarms?
Crowned
Lava Lord
98 | 2
adding to what quirinus said:
- Add bluelight filters to your devices, which are available as smartphone apps and computer programs. Some do even have a timer, so they dim the light when it gets late. It helps your eyes relax.
- No more interaction with displays at least 1 hour before you go to bed!
- Temperature is one thing, but you should "ventilate" (if thats the correct word) your room often, maybe even leave a window half-open during nights, if you can.
- Also, socialize IRL. Other people make you laugh and feel feelings and shit (true poet). Be around happy people and their mude is reflecting on you. If your Insomnia is caused by depression.
- Get a hobby besides gaming, I for myself started playing magic again and it's a ton of fun, meeting new people every 2nd week.
Taem
Necrobot
2471 | 150
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
I had and have terrible sleep issues. These are the main culprits, but not always so; sometimes my mind is just like, "fuck u stay awake sucka," so I'll tell you next what I do for that.

-Lack of exercise: every body has x amount of energy, and as we get older, we generally use less and less of it throughout the day causing our metabolism to burn these excess carbs in the night and thus extra energy and lack of sleep. Do some cardio everyday if possible.

-Caffeine: do I even have to say anything about this one? My metobalism is especially susceptible to this drug and a cup of Joe at 10am will mean I don't sleep till 3am. I should mention that alcohol will NOT help! It metabolizes into glucose which turns to sugar in your body keeping you awake!

-Chicken and Egg: thinking about not sleeping will cause your mind to try and "solve" this issue by figuring out a way to sleep, which ironically will wake your mind up. Stress does the same thing. Try to meditate right before bed, clearing your mind of all thoughts, sounds, and distractions. I use an eye mask when I go to sleep and with it pressing on my eyes, it makes me feel naturally tired and block out the light. I also put a fan on my body which is very soothing and drowns out any outside noise.

Medication: When I follow the steps above, I don't have as many problems, but sometimes, especially if I have to work a graveyard shift, the next night my mind is all "fuck u sucka, no sleep bitch! !!" In this special case, I take Unisom. It helps me sleep and I don't feel groggy in the morning so long as I take it by 9pm, bed by 9.30 to 10pm, and up by 6am.