Windows 10 and Piracy?!?

Have something to say or share? Everything else comes here!
Taem
Necrobot
2474 | 151
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
So a few days ago, some of you may have noticed that GS8 went down temporarily. Well, the night before I had torrented The Walking Dead latest episode, but hadn't removed the prior four episodes from my uTorrent and was still seeding. So the morning of, I wake up, check my emails on my phone and see a notice that GS8 is down and am like, wtf. So I check my server computer and its up and running but the server is down so now I'm like, super wtf?!? So here I am trying to log into the forums to see if anybody knows whats up when a Millennial Copyright Protection Act pops up on my browser. At first, I ignore it and try another browser, but same shit. Then I go log into my other computer, and another (I have 5-computers in my house) and all three say the same thing when a browser is opened. So now I know the issue it with my isp. There is a link to remove the block at the bottom of the webpage assuming all "offending" materials have been removed, in this case not the last two episodes, but the three episodes back. So I click on the link to remove the block on my server computer... nothing happens. Okay, so I change browsers and again, nothing. I try it on my sons computer, nothing. I try it on my computer that I downloaded the torrent from, nothing. Hum, strange. I delete my .tor files in appdata, rename the video file, and rename the folder it's in then click on the link and what do you know, my internet returns... How in the holy fuck did my isp know I had "removed" the offending materials? So now I know without any doubt that there is some sort of tracker on my computer, but I never downloaded anything like that - I'm super meticulous and paranoid about what goes on my computers, so it dawns on me about Windows 10 TOS, and it hits me, fucking Windows 10 tracks the data on your computer... I guess I've always known this since the story hit the news, but never took it seriously until now. I mean honestly, I'm still a little shocked and quite appalled that the data on everyone's own home computers is being watched! This is not only scary, but doesn't seem legal to me! I've received copyright infringement notices from my isp in the past due to torrenting which asked me to remove the offending material, and I just deleted the email and ignored the threat, but this was different, and the message was clear that this was due to a new law signed by Obama. My isp was definitely receiving intel from my Windows 10 about the data on my computer. The threat is real, and I guess my hesitancy of switching to a Linux based system has to be overcome if I want any form of privacy, that and I need to start downloading my torrents through TOR.

TL;DR VERSION: ISP taken down for piracy and would only come back up after removing torrented files from computer. No tracking software on computer, so had to be Windows 10 tracking it.
Edited by Taem 8 years.
shnurr214
Ice Clan
597 | 47
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
pirate a version of windows 7 and go back to a real mans operating system ;D thats what all the kids these days are doing
Taem
Necrobot
2474 | 151
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
shnurr214 wrote:pirate a version of windows 7 and go back to a real mans operating system ;D thats what all the kids these days are doing

Not a terrible idea either, however I've been wanting to try out Linux for ages, not just a sandboxed VM version, and this may just finally be the perfect excuse. Although, I do love W7, lol!
shnurr214
Ice Clan
597 | 47
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
yeah my computer was giving me constant notifications to update to windows 10 but i just reformatted and installed windows 7. i have seen w10 and its okay but problems like this and other things i have seen make me hesitant to upgrade. w7 still works fine and i will likely continue using it until microsoft stops supporting it.
suchbalance
Team Member
1756 | 513
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Skill Badge
Experienced Player
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Great Mind Badge
A Median XL guru... a true book of knowledge
In all honesty it was most likely the client that got you into trouble. uTorrent sold out a long time ago, and apart from being bloated with adware (as is really obvious from the installer) is on nearly all ISP's watchlist as it is the most popular client.

I would suggest you to switch to qBittorrent. It has much better functionality and the user interface is super intuitive so you won't have any new software issues. Also it has great security tools - I would suggest that you go to the options, bittorrent tab and under encryption select "Require encryption".
Spiff
Destroyer
7 | 0
Taem wrote:that and I need to start downloading my torrents through TOR.

Heads up, don't do this. Not only is your IP leaked anyways like that, it completely fucks up the network. best off just paying for a VPN.
Taem
Necrobot
2474 | 151
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
suchbalance wrote:In all honesty it was most likely the client that got you into trouble. uTorrent sold out a long time ago, and apart from being bloated with adware (as is really obvious from the installer) is on nearly all ISP's watchlist as it is the most popular client.

I would suggest you to switch to qBittorrent. It has much better functionality and the user interface is super intuitive so you won't have any new software issues. Also it has great security tools - I would suggest that you go to the options, bittorrent tab and under encryption select "Require encryption".

Thx, I'll definitely give that client a shot! It may be uTorrent that gave me up, but the program does not start with windows, and I had just turned my computer on, so unless uTorrent is a Trojan that hides itself from the process list, it had to be Windows 10 communicating with my isp telling it the files were still on my computer. Only once I deleted the torrents and renamed the file did my Internet return.
Taem
Necrobot
2474 | 151
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Spiff wrote:
Taem wrote:that and I need to start downloading my torrents through TOR.

Heads up, don't do this. Not only is your IP leaked anyways like that, it completely fucks up the network. best off just paying for a VPN.

Any recommendations?
Fumbles
Tantrum changes fan
1412 | 183
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Why not stream the episodes instead of download them? Putlocker does ok staying current with tv shows.
Taem
Necrobot
2474 | 151
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
I watch them on my 75" 1020p tv and surround sound system via hdmi from my computer to my television, and those online streaming site quality leaves much to be desired.