What anime do you watch?

Have something to say or share? Everything else comes here!
Prime_Evil
Kraken Guard
2340 | 216
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Finished Ajin, and i have to say for my tastes its o-KEI (badum tss)

Its a Tokyo Ghoul, but if Tokyo Ghoul was good at what it tries to be. My only jarring big critique of it is 3D CGI. Im not a fan of this. Call it Fate/Stay Night trauma if you want. Also the story kind doesnt end well enough, im guessing to set up for the next season so thats fine.

The overcomplexities of it is probably what makes this very polarizing. For me its a 6.5/10 which is pretty decent, but i can see for others who find it really overbearing at times to be a 4/10 at most. Regardless one thing i can definitely say about those 2 different types of viewers is that theres never dull moments in the anime. Its better than Tokyo Ghoul imo, but fails to be on the same level as Kiseijuu. I quite enjoyed the pacing though, it kept moving the story forwards without too much filler or stupid ass mood breaks.

So yeah, i recommend it if you liked Tokyo Ghoul and Kiseijuu, but curb your expectations if youre expecting the next Kiseijuu because it is not.

And since we're talking about Kiseijuu here, season 2 premiers on the 11th October. Much hype.
Prime_Evil
Kraken Guard
2340 | 216
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
bump.

started overlord 2 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand dropped it. just not feeling it.
Jaedong
Detonator
792 | 56
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
the lizard arc is sooooooo lame
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Rushed to finish Ajin 2nd second

What a let down to me for me. All the interesting part of thriller is gone for me in 2nd season. Yes the villain killed more people, and yes he is way more brutal, but because you already know most of the characters in this series (they introduced several extra supporter character), it is feel that whole 2nd season was unnecessary and went back to status quo.

No more super hyper action scene from 1st season, bombastic and crazy plans came together, but instead the series feel like cat and mouse in between plot points (I got you, no you didnt, i got you now, oh you didnt, i got you, just kidding!). MC best friend was briefly reintroduced a bit, only to be useless 90% of the episodes, may we wonder if the plot shouldve switched around between this and 1st season to have a proper flow.

This remind me of same issue of another similar OP villain which the series couldnt wrapped up the story and ended in such a bullshit way (RE:Creator)

EDITED
Was told that OVA is important component to the Villain backstory, so off i go to it.
Solfege
Harpylisk
1461 | 209
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Only thing I've been watching regularly is Rising of the Shield Hero. Not bad, but a bit overhyped.

Oh, and I did binge the first season of Mob Psycho 100. Almost dropped it, but it ended up being better than I thought it would be. Can definitely tell it's by the same guy who did OPM (for better and worse).
Jaedong
Detonator
792 | 56
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Started with hajime no ippo
Had high hopes at first but mc seems to be talented and roo much instant success so its already a letdown
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Finished Uma Musume Pretty Derby

By character designs, i know people will ridicule about this anime. Considering there are already of animal-girls anime out there, this probably not exactly something. Btw this was kinda a promo anime for a mobile game. So the reason im stumbled on this is because I was searching for sports tag, so rather having a boy sports, i tried to go for girl sports (other option was keijo lol). So i gave this anime a go.

From a get go, tagging this anime as sports will not tell you full story about the anime. While the topic of horse racing is a sports, this anime is very close to an idol anime rather than sports. So if you cant handle "rainbow shiny sparkle", you wont enjoy this. Additional, it is also focused more on slice of life in general, with super intense race in every couple of every episode. There are tons of variety character which are trying to be best and beat other rivals. My only gripe it is, despite how intense the race is, it rarely focused on technical part of horse racing (got some, not much) so pretty much each races are about the girl's inner thought and guts. There arent much suspense like typical sports anime, although the standard format of training, losing, getting depressed, getting back up and works together with friends and rivals is there.

Give this anime a try if you are ok with moe / fluffy (not much, but it still pretty girlish slice of life) that about horse racing (more like track & field running sports). But do take notes that probably there arent anything new here (animation, sound, plots) and there arent many dramatic moment, so you decide yourself.

Alternative : For girls sports anime that I felt similar would Saki (mahjong), Girls & Panzer (tank war) and Bamboo Blade (Kendo). As for Idol similarity that I feel, there are a lot to choose from Love Live series, Idolmaster (not xenoglossia) and the closest one i feel was AKB0048

EDITED

Finished Suka suka (you have to google this super long anime name...sorry)

I start searching around for romance tag, and totally forgot about this which i watched 1st episode long time ago. Based from MAL tag and score, this should be a decent anime my guess. But watching the whole season, it will be hard to say if Im not wishing for much better execution of this story. Based from other people's it seem like it based from a very source material (light novel) but anime adaptation failed to fully utilized the strength of it.

From the 1st and 2nd OP of this series, it give a scene about an action anime, but I think this one is focused more on the relationship of the MC and the girl rather action. If I put the transition of tag of the series is probably fantasy -> slice of life -> romance -> drama -> action. It have interesting world about end of the world (more like post apocalypse with looming dangerous enemy) and characters was interesting at the start of the series. But my biggest issue is probably many of concept are not explained well thus there are many scene that required additional reading for you to understand. I do like if the series focused on symbolism, but in this anime it just feel not enough explanation.

If you ever planned to watch this, just think this anime more like romance drama with full of "feel" rather than fantasy action. Probably i watched it with wrong mindset and felt betrayed when the series end. I kinda dislike anime when changing focus too much if it just a short 1 season anime without focus.

Alternative : The inevitable demise probably like Black Bullet and Madoka. For more romance with tragic background, Romeo x Juliet and Plastic Memories came to my mind.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Finished Darling in the Franxx

I watched this series long time ago and totally forgot about it. Until I search specifically for mecha tag and found this again. Think team of teenagers, with ability to control some mecha and fighting some sort of unknown OP monster. Sound cliche, but i guess that the standard for current anime. I already watched way too many similar anime that feel like only the story and execution will matter the most to me.

Since I cant remember much first half of the series, I only remember there are a lot of emphasize of character interaction between the team and challenge they faced when fighting the enemy. As usual, this is a seed that bring typical melodramatic stuff as teenager always known to be ridiculous with their judgement. Anyway, I could say that animation for battle is top notch and there are a lot of visual overloaded explosion.

However, the story took the strange turn around midway (i was told there was a hiatus during production) that made the story shift tremendously after that point. While generally it doesnt mean the story will be worse, but I do feel like it look jarring. Instead of a simply destroying the enemy just to protect their own, suddenly we have some sort world bending plots that doesnt explain anything much, because enemy dont need reason for it. I wonder if I should just drop the series when it finished that mid part with a bang.

This anime is a mixed feeling, if you dont teen melodramatic stuff, you will hate this. As for mecha combat, I do think it look nice. It is just the package is completed but with many flawed.

Alternative titles : For better package, obviously TTGL and NGE (just google it). My personal recommendation is Van dread series. As for more similar type anime I think Bokurano kinda fit.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Finished To Aru Majutsu Index 3

It have been a while since the previous entry and spin off (railgun) which kinda made me anticipated more about the whole world of Science vs Magic in this series. It was never been the best, but it feel like a good world where you want to live in and be part of any team in it. Lets just i forget most of the previous stuff, but i hope at least third season could explain some of the back story and expand the characters even more.

WRONG! I was confused, even more confused by how fast the plot was going forward. New enemy, characters and faction was introduce left and right without proper giving chance to view to understand their motivation. Even I have to read some comments that explain a lot of stuff that anime cut from the source material. Base from my understanding of the story, this could simply be a good 1 whole year anime or even 3 cour (1 year and half) but it all compressed to just 26 episodes making everything was moving to fast.

If you fan of old Index or Railgun i suggest you skip this unless you want to get disappointed. The story / characters are good, because it adapted from good source material, but as anime, this is beyond atrocious.

No alternative, im still salty.

EDITED

Finished Goblin Slayer

Main reason why i searched for this anime was the OP randomly played on my spotify. I heard about how gory and rapey the series when it was released. Thus I will put that this anime is pretty serious and dark focus on fantasy elements. It not my favourite type of genre, unless you really dialed up on psychological aspect of dark.

Goblin Slayer is about a guy who went around completing quests that related to slaying goblins. We learnt that this because of his tragic backstory and hatred toward goblin, that made him kinda specialized killed. Goblin was seen as weak enemy in open, but once you hunt them in their territory they will swarm you. Story wise, I there are something more grand about the whole season since this anime is short with 12 only episode, would be neat if there are some sort of overarching narrative. As for characters, he was joined with several members of other races (elf / dwarf / lizardmen and main girl) which I feel like I didnt connect much with any of them.

If i want to say something, probably they series is more low key than i expected. It is just rapey goblins that triggered the whole internet culture that I felt nothing to be honest. The final arc although end with a big battle, it still small scale than what i expected

Alternative : For dark serious tones, this remind of Grimgar and Drifters. But you want more lighter tones, i think overlord and danmachi fit the fantasy trope more.
Jaedong
Detonator
792 | 56
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
I dont understand the anime culture, they are so desperate to call everything the greatest shit ever
The one that annoys me the most is aot