What games are you playing atm? V2

Have something to say or share? Everything else comes here!
Supersalmas2
Prowler
15 | 0
I'm a blogger, game enthusiast, and a game writer. I've bought the newest Resident Evil 2 Remake, and it's awesome to say the least. Had an amazing experience with Leon, and today seems like an evening with Claire haha!

I've struggled during my first hours, as the game is really intense, and thrilling, however, my skills have increased tremendously heading towards the mid-game.

Anyway, I'm writing this because I've noticed a couple of neat tricks that have helped me to hone my skills and thus increase my experience. I've written a guide about the new game, in hopes that it'll be helpful at least to someone! Check out my https://www.eneba.com/blog/resident-evil-2-guide-and-tips-to-crush-the-game/
Thank you, and have a pleasant experience! With or without my tips, the game is sick, and if anyone is still wondering whether it's worth it, it totally is!
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
I have been dropped from playing other game and finishing opus magnum and the surge.

Opus Magnum
If not type of person of having fun on tweaking puzzle to get most optimize way to complete the task, this game doesnt offer much. As good as the game, I dont think i could recommend this. Watching youtuber figuring out solution probably more fun than doing urself. Basically the puzzle is too open without constraint and parts given are pretty much versatile and you can solve it with just basic stuff.

The Surge
Finally I finished the game and more experienced than previous. Finally it is clicked that I required to rerun earlier level to get parts for armor. I got majority of my armor set. I really started with single rigged, but since i pretty hard to slow clunky animation you cant cancel, I switched to twin rigged instead. Then the game become more bearable for me. At the end, I almost having invincible build that have unlimited healing, assuming I can land some attack on the enemy.

There are way too many stuff I hate about the game, using fast weapon, the combat is good. But doesnt mean that enemy design and AI is good. Too many stuff where AI suddenly reset, able to attack immediately after landing an attack on the ground (and i count that it is final attack) then suddenly doing full combo on you. Another aspect I freaking hate is the how "homing" or tracking enemy on you, I have seen so many ridiculous 360 swing enemy that still hit you despite you dodged them. Charging attack is one of i hate, especially when it feel like 50% of enemy placement is designed to be in blind spot and charge at you immediately.

Do I like surge? Not really. Might sound weird but everything felt so shallow. I do feel like that I enjoyed LotF way more despite the issue. Of course I dont plan to play on NG+ on both games. Of course, with more polish, the surge couldve been much better.
Prime_Evil
Kraken Guard
2331 | 213
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Not much time to play lately, when i do have time i normally just boot up RE2 and speedrun it while adding challenges to make it not get old fast, like pacifist no damage taken no saves hardcore runs where i only kill necessary bosses to advance the story. Blowing off zombie legs to make it easier to traverse is ok though as long as they dont die, if a single normal enemy dies thats a run ender. That kind of self imposed challenges keeps me playing single player games over and over again after i 100% them.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Finished Abzu, which HLTB said only 2 hours to finish.

This is probably the least favourite of "walking simulator" games that I played. All those environment and beautiful soundtrack are totally lost when you left it unexplained on what happening in whole games and what is the player goal. I could piece the idea here and there, but when they gameplay are pretty much swimming around and pressing switch? It is seem like questionable choice to me.

This is simply NO recommendation from me. You probably could get the same feeling from watching youtuber playing this, or maybe watch a movie. It is just lack of mechanic for a game and no matter how good the environment and surrounding, it is useless as a game.

Other recommendation : Subnautica probably better, with some grindy gameplay although i havent play it yet. Another underwater game i played is Song of the Deep, which have metroidvania element. Or maybe it is better just to play walking simulator that have story assuming you look around the surrounding carefully. I really highly recommend Soma, but that one is more like horror with several underwater scene.
Prime_Evil
Kraken Guard
2331 | 213
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Funny that you mentioned Soma as i was reading your post.

iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Playing : Rime

After disappointed Abzu, Rime seem able to answer all my question and make it right. This game is 3rd person puzzle platformer, thus you able to see the reaction and quirk through animation. 75% of the game are still walking around like walking simulator, but it is clear enough on where you need to go and what you need to do. Environment is breathtaking and how they play the music seem able to make the game look more grand without unnecessary add with angelic choir sound. Game again, just a simple without story, dialogue or wording, but you will still able to find solution and proceed forward effortlessly.

This is kinda remind of relaxing puzzle game, but without much complexity. Im enjoying the game, and probably will try to finish it by tomorrow. It is only 5 hours based from HLTB. If you like 3rd persoon puzzle platformer, give the game a try. Although dont expect something wow factor, it just ... felt immersive.

Other recommendation : Talos Principle, straight forward puzzle gamer with tons of levels. The witness is another one, although I dislike the game for not hand holding much (especially if u forgot the puzzle solution that you already completed). AS for 3rd person, apparently i dont have any good suggestion on steam...most of the are first person.
Prime_Evil
Kraken Guard
2331 | 213
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Finished Soma. Its pretty good, though at one point after a certain cutscene the twist involving the protagonist was very predictable. Overall though i enjoyed it, very mindfucky with its consciousness underlying theme.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Finished Rime

When I think about it, this game is more toward walking simulator than puzzle in general. Basically it tried to tell the story throughout the level world & design with deep meaning in each chapter. If you try to watch from face value, there are nothing there. This is exactly what you called "2deep4u" type of game where you can decide whatever the meaning of the game to you. The ending kinda explaining what happening in whole game, except... not really.

I cant say if I enjoyed Rime or not. It was pleasant to go around and solving puzzle in each area. But the story arent told directly to you making you lost and cant understand what exactly happened in world / to main character. So final outcome probably, play it if you can tolerate walking simulator with immersive world story telling. There arent much dialogue, no story directly you can get. Only you as main character moving through the world.

Next upcoming : Finishing Unravel, Hyper Light Drifter, Fe, Inside, Dead Space 3, Ghost of a Tale.

I think i already got the worth of my money, manage to finished several grand indie game, which i have no plan to revisit ever again.
about 2 weeks until i finished my subscription
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
ARGH another freaking 2deep4u game, I just finished Inside.

From developer of Limbo, I can kinda can expect what type of the game this will be. If i do a comparison, this are more toward atmospheric storytelling while you moving forward, and lesser on puzzle (it is easy, but easy as usual). Thankfully there game arent that long, because earlier part of the game was kinda very slow and it not really create the world. Visual and sound design are simply superb.

Short way to explain this game : Bizarre. As you get deeper and deeper into Inside, you will able to see more disturbing scenery. Gameplay mechanic, there are some complex mechanic in each chapters of the game which made it slightly more fun than other game in same genre.

At the end : I recommend to play this blind. You should experience this one blindly and only search for answer after you finish the game. Game is pretty short and you can finish it in just 4 hours.

Other recommendation : Braid, classic old brain teaser platformer. Pony island, another bizarre puzzle game (not platformer though). Deadlight, same platforming puzzle package (some precision control required)
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Playing:
1. Dead Space 3
Oh gosh, this is straight action packed game that i dont remember much. I didnt finished it last time because of the save game glitch (during pirate day) so I was kinda skeptical about finishing this game without hiccup. Turn out, that I must finish whole side mission in order for the game to trigger the save file properly. Some people might said that DS3 killed the franchise because of it trying to focus on action set pieces with a lot of in game cut scenes. I would say that the dumbed down system killed it. Oh my gosh, I feel like that the game are not fun when i play it on hard difficulty. It is either too difficult because enemy appear from behind you, or simply too easy if the AI combination is too weak to kiting playstyle.

One of main reason is because they simplify all ammunition into just 1 clip type. Basically if your ammo run out, u are screwed. Next, you can only carry 2 weapons, so you really need to craft weapon for specific encounter. I enter mid-chapter without fast weapon, and i struggled because the game suddenly introduced horde skinny enemy that super fast and come in group. Weapon design also are limited with your crafting materials, making it only available / usable about 1/3 of playthrough in. By end of mid section, you pretty much will get maxed 2 weapons with all upgrades. However, u still will lack of materials to experiment with new weapon type (unless u want to pay money for DLC stuff).

On final note, I would say that I dont enjoy this game much. I will put at mediocre if I could, although the game could be much more fun to play in Coop, which I have no plan to. It is just kinda too boring without anything new.

Another recommendation : RE 4 pretty much, Lost Planet 3, not perfect but feel similar with icy alien planet.

2. Fe
Finally play this game although I installed it for 2 weeks already. Imagine a forest where you have flora and fauna that live in harmony. Then a giant alien robot came in to capture all creatures. So you as the hero, pretty much work together with other creatures in order to free those from the enemy. You will unlock new skill / ability ala metroidvania, which give some traverse ability across the forest. Judging for the map, it seem that it is not big as HLTB only say that you can finish the game within 5 hours.

Best part of the game is you have ability to sing! Which kinda a communication tool to talk / use certain ability with other creature (think like riding on bird to go certain high places). This game is more toward puzzle / action / adventure, so dont expect any fighting in the game, except trying to solved the issue with your current encounter. The game is superb with it lighting and mood, probably one of the surreal game I ever play with its striking colour palette.

Overall, this game is short fun adventure that you might want to give it a try. It seem like it will be nice game that you can 100% with ease as you will all your tools to find all collectibles from the get go.

Other recommendation : Toki tori 2, 2d "metroidvania" that you use simple ability to solve puzzle. This game remind me so much spore, but the genre is way too different.