Addiction

Have something to say or share? Everything else comes here!
Gekko64
Shadowgate Totem
1728 | 102
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
so everyone else should be punished because YOU had a negative experience with it?
ChuckNoRis
Flying Polar Buffalo
3006 | 81
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
gaming , food , sex . maby not in that order . i'm no longer smoking like i used to (1 or 2 packs/day) , i now smoke a cigarette /day , or one at every 2 days (just to keep my friends company when they must go outside to smoke) , but i can do just fine without them , so i may say that it's no longer my vice , since i no longer feel that "need"
HechtHeftig
I paid 10$ for this.
2452 | 190
Great Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Gekko64 wrote:so everyone else should be punished because YOU had a negative experience with it?

You know that that's a dumb summary, don't you?

First of all, we should clarify what exactly we are talking about. Full legalization, regulated legalization or weed legalization for medical puposes only.

The latter is the one that I do agree with as there are some rare types of epilepsy and other illnesses which can only be treated with weed. But a full or regulated legalization is definitely NOT an option.

In case you don't get why I called this a dumb summary: It is dumb because those who want to consume weed, will do so anyway. It doesn't matter whether it's legal or illegal. Is this punishment? NO. They are only punished when they drive under the influence of weed or when they posses greater amounts of weed. But the casual consumer who buys 10-20 € worth of weed won't be arrested for that.

Weed does have negative effects on your brain. It can damage your memory and your cognitive skills.

So all in all: It is neither a punishment, nor is it only me who had a negative experience nor do I say everyone without exceptions should suffer the lack of the legalization. Hence your sentence is full of shit.
Gekko64
Shadowgate Totem
1728 | 102
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
so do you also think alcohol and tobacco should be made illegal?
HechtHeftig
I paid 10$ for this.
2452 | 190
Great Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Gekko64 wrote:so do you also think alcohol and tobacco should be made illegal?

Haven't made up my mind about those as I have neither positive nor negative experiences with these 2.
Marco
Team Member
1952 | 1347
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Multiplayer Badge
Has won a multiplayer contest
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
@HechtHeftig:

a) it's much easier to blame the drug than the person. If you suffer from anxiety or whatever that is, you might have had that regardless if you had never started smoking weed. It's like people who say they are lazy because of weed. You are probably lazy anyway but weed just increases that behaviour of yours. There are tons of people that do alcohol, weed or even other drugs which have their life in check. So yeah blaming the drug is an easy way to take no responsibility. I don't mean to offend you with this since I don't know your particular situation but I see this really often.

b) saying it doesn't matter if weed is illegal because people will do it anyway if they really want to is dumb as hell. Laws are supposed to reflect what's good and what's not - and I fail to see how weed is worse than alcohol or tobacco, just from sheer death and crime numbers.

c) saying you won't be arrested with small amounts of weed is dumb. It doesn't work the same in every place. Not long ago, an argentinian dude got 4 month imprisonment in russia just because he had a joint. And I've heard of people who have gotten life imprisonment in china because of being caught with coke in the airport.

d) the fact that weed has some negative effects on the brain (which btw - they can also be positive. stress relief is a healthy thing) isn't enough reason to make it illegal. Alcohol fucks your kidney AND brain big time, not even mention fast food, sugar drinks and other stuff that is legal and morbid obesity. Do we blame the drinks? no! we blame the idiots that do them in excess, just like with everything, weed is NO exception.

Weed should be legal, especially if tobacco is. Let's not even mention the impact illegal weed can have on narcotrafficking - which I can see here in Argentina very clearly. You are giving murderers a really easy business with tons of money, in fact enough so that they can buy the police and politicians off. So obviously, some people have big interests on weed staying illegal. However as a regular civilian I find it really stupid to be against legalization. It's like making ropes illegal to reduce suicides, hurr dur, so clever.
thunderman
Banned
540 | 81
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
HechtHeftig
I paid 10$ for this.
2452 | 190
Great Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Marco wrote:@HechtHeftig:

a) Yes, you're right. That's the only positive part I was able to take from my addiction: Finding out/ understanding that something is wrong with me. That's why I started the therapy to begin with. I really reconsider that decision though. I'm 4 months in and all they talk about is: don't take drugs. And I'm thinking to myself: Yeah shithead, I know that already.... I find it kinda sad that the only goal in the therapy is to tell you: "don't consume", instead of working on why someone consumed in the first place, which would have a much better effect. And even though this medical center I'm in is supposed to cure both addiction and depression, I haven't made any progress for 3 months now... I'm here for 4 months.

b) And this exactly is the scary part. A drug that doesn't cause deaths is easily taken too lightly. That's why an addiction can be developed too easy. People think "Oh there's a drug that has no negative consequences, so it won't hurt me at all once I consume. SO basically I can consume all I want and will always only have a fun time". Then you overdo it and find yourself being addicted. And once you have an addiction, a real addiction, you will fight it until you die. Weed needs a "warning, highly addictive"-sign and that's exactly what the banning is for. It's debatable whether alcohol and tobacco should be banned, but that's a different matter. Our ancestors have decided that these 2 drugs are okay for whatever reason, and it has been passed down ever since, building up a huge industry in the process. And these industrys are now strong enough to prevent the banning in most contries.

c) You're talking about countries that are known to give a shit about human rights. I thought we were talking about normal countries.

d) You can get stress relief through other methods. Playing drums, boxing, Yoga, wellness... You don't need weed for that. Doing weed would be the lazy way for stress relief, which in turn makes you even lazier. Wohoo a possible vicious circle. And yes you are right that excessive consume is the problem about weed (and many other things). But for me personally... I have already developed an addiction. I'll be addicted all my life. I will always have problems getting through life without constantly thinking "Damn I need a Joint now". For my own good, I have to be self-centered and decline the legalization of weed. I doubt I could stay clean if weed became legal. And trust me, I don't want to go back there. I don't want to have the suicidal, self-harming thoughts anymore. This was by far the worst experience in my life and I'm through with it.

I haven't had these thoughts when I drank alcohol somewhat excessively for a few months. But dope is my real self-worth killer.
GregMXL
Team Member
10590 | 180
Legendary Posting Badge
Posted over 10.000 messages
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Great Special Badge
Legend.
You can get addicted to coffee, candy, iced tea, cocaine, tobacco etc.. I drank so much snapple like 20 years ago that, while I was on vacation, I didn't catch a second of sleep for 10 straight days. I actually toned down smoking pot because it relaxed me too much. There was a lazy factor but only because it made me appreciate food and sleep more so I blame myself for feeling like I needed to rely on it. I still drink a lot on weekends and picked up a habit of smoking ciggs whenever I drink which isn't smart but I really don't care and I stay in decent shape for my age. Anyways, excess of anything is never good for you. But mind over matter and you can accomplish a lot. Especially when you're more mature. Just my two cents.
I don't mean to dwell...but I can't help myself.
krimi
Stygian Watcher
41 | 3
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
I know this is obvious, but making something illegal means "under threat of gun and imprisonment, you will not make that choice". Applying that stance to anything which doesn't directly harm yourself or others seems excessive. I have more faith in the ability of people to make the right choices, even addicts, without such a severe punishment hanging over their head. We should make services to help people kick their addiction, and not use the fear of getting assraped in prison.

Anyway, my addiction is following hockey excessively. It is especially bad since I started playing fantasy hockey, since I need to track all the players for every team and pick the ideal lineup of players for the most points every night. Add in trading players and picking up free agents, and there is a lot to study.