Life, nostalgia & other things.

Have something to say or share? Everything else comes here!
Somnus
Joyboy
1336 | 126
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Great Showcase Badge
Bored at work? Come watch my stream!
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Am I the only one who feels like everything from the past was better? I really hope not. If anyone feels the same way, what's your aproach about this? How do you deal with it? My way is simply ''bite my tongue'' and move on ''ignoring'' the facts, guess it's hypocrite, but, what else can be done?

Example: Watching a TV show where the lead actor is young, then watching another TV/movie with that same actor where he's now old, etc, and makes you feel like, I dont really know how to describe it (Nostalgia, maybe?)

Obviously not only on tv shows, I'm talking about more deep stuff here (morphine talking :LUL:) but seriously, why do we feel like this sometimes?
HechtHeftig
I paid 10$ for this.
2452 | 190
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
The past is the past. It forms your personality. But how do you know that it really was how you remember how it was? Nobody knows.

Because memories change over time. Just look at any police case. 5 witnesses will say 5 different things in any case. Even though they saw the same things.

So why would you even rely on that old information? You live in the present. Focus on making the present better first before you get all nostalgic and think about "everything was better in the old days..."
Somnus
Joyboy
1336 | 126
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Great Showcase Badge
Great Guide Badge
► Show Spoiler

Thing is, it made who you are, right? Then, how can you ignore it, just by re-checking the info from all sources (past, present & future *thats another topic*) you make sure that you are on the ''path you want/like''. And indeed, if you review constantly your actions/thoughts/goals, you can see how you've changed, leading to a better progress/evolution of your own ''self''. But that ''looking back'' and seeing how things change/changes/changed, is like, Ugh...a pressure on the chest, like '' I dont want it to be like this, I want this/that back the way it was''.

Maybe just morphine/pain talking. Thanks for the time @HechtHeftig.
HechtHeftig
I paid 10$ for this.
2452 | 190
Great Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Well... I'm not saying you should ignore the past. But rather you shouldn't put such an emphasis on it.

I, too want some things back that I had in the past. But right now I'm busy getting my life back to an acceptable state. So I have no Time worrying about the past.

Well, for me the only thing that brings me back up when I'm down is music. Hence I create my own songs. I wrote a song about that topic as well, but more on a personal level. I try to record it after I get back from work. Maybe it helps you see it all differently as well.
Somnus
Joyboy
1336 | 126
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Great Showcase Badge
Great Guide Badge
I dont really emphasize on it, im just that way (can think back/now/future without really trying, just my subconscious does it with random ''shooting in my head with memories/thoughts'').
Yes, my life rn (health) doesnt let me even take 5 seconds to breathe, luckily for me.

Music helps me too. Videogames/streaming/drawing also, but still, sometimes I wish I could go into an ''empty/void'' place and stay there in my own thoughts for a bit, just floating. Or simply scream my lungs out in private.
HechtHeftig
I paid 10$ for this.
2452 | 190
Great Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Of course. It's the same for me. I have to consciously think of something else.

But I simply have no time to feel down. That's why I'm using all the effort it takes to think of something else.
Solfege
Harpylisk
1461 | 209
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
I think how you feel is natural, Somnus. Especially going through all the shit you're going through right now. I don't think indulging in a bit of nostalgia from time to time is a bad thing, as long as a person doesn't become consumed by it. It can sometimes be of great comfort during times of great stress. But it's a double-edged sword. If a person indulges too much, it can make them pessimistic, or even depressed.

Time is an endless path upon which we're forced to walk ever forward. Sometimes the path is smooth and straight and the road ahead is clear. Other times it's treacherous--rocky and winding and dark. Sometimes we hit what seems like a dead-end: an apparently insurmountable obstacle--be it a giant boulder or a vast chasm--that prevents us from moving forward. It's in those times when we can draw comfort from thinking back to when the path was smooth and straight. But it's a false comfort. It only seeks to ease the despair brought about by our current situation. So, we have to decide: do we stay where we are, satisfied with how far we've come, and live out the rest of our lives fondly remembering the "good old days," or do we push forward, knowing the path continues on, but not knowing what's on the other side? Some people are fortunate to have met other travellers along the way who can help them--even if those people ultimately don't follow. But in the end, the decision how--or even if--we proceed is ours alone.

Sorry if this is corny or makes no sense or just sounds like a bunch of metaphorical bullshit.
Jampula
Amazon Warrior
1677 | 91
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
I rarely feel nostalgic as my life was full of shit until I turned 18 and moved on my own. Of course there are still some stuff, like the mentioned tv-shows, Biker Mice from Mars was awesome in my childhood (especially the laughable finnish dub :D)... now when I watch those new versions of it with the gf's kid it just makes me sad.

This is the kind of topic I have to return later when I'm alone and have some weed and whiskey. Too deep for sober me.
Prime_Evil
Kraken Guard
2340 | 216
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
D2 is better than D3.
Jampula
Amazon Warrior
1677 | 91
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
^ That reminds me that somewhere around 1.D/F9 I actually feel nostalgic. I was in the army then and it was nice to relax and cheese the crap out of the many bugs of the mod and farm with op throw assassin/soulshatter necro.

Still I'm glad it's getting more balanced every patch.