The good old "do you even design" posts
If you want to talk design the first thing you have to do is put things in context. If you think this feature is about adding "artifficial difficulty" you are completely missing the point by the way. I will do admit it was dumb posting the screenshot with no context at all - it's our duty to provide it, so here are my main points:
- This is intended to replace the current death penalties (gold / experience)
- Gold penalty did not provide anything interesting for gameplay - it also made people not cba to use mercs.
- Experience penalty made the whole getting to 121 really awkward with cows and stuff. You had to get to 120, get a certain amount of charms, then commit to dcowing and only dcowing all the way to 121. Not a lot of fun.
- 5s death timer is fucking negligible penalty if you compare to loss of corpse + gold + exp in prev patches. Not sure what the fuss is about.
- You're thinking about how annoying ubering will be with death timer. But tons of ubers will be reworked to be beaten deathless. Lookup "Boss Events" feature for sigma.
- The timer makes death cheesing much less time-efficient strategy. And that's a good thing.
But more than anything the biggest points in favor of this change are the boss events + the fact that this replaces existing death penalties.