Themes

Threads that no longer serve a purpose. Read-only.
whist
Team Member
634 | 557
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
As I've been slowly replacing the GUI code for Sigma, I also have been implementing a multi-theme switching functionality to D2's GUI code. In other words, once all the GUI code has been replaced, the user will be able to select his preferred GUI theme. But of course making all the images for this is quite a big task, and therefore Sigma itself will only feature one theme (codename classic_sigma). Why implementing a theming functionality then? Because I hope to have players submitting themes once the mod is released, that's why. The system as it is allows anyone to easily "inject" his own theme into the game.

This is how it works: All of your GUI theme files are packed into an individual MPQ. Then you add your theme name into a list that comes with the mod (themes.txt). Then all you have to do is fire up the game, open up the configuration screen and select your theme. This is slightly more complicated than that (the MPQ needs to have a specific packing structure for example), but I won't be providing all the details for now, a tutorial will come for custom theme implementation when the mod actually gets released...

Additionally it is to note your theme doesn't need to replace every single GUI images, like a total conversion theme. It can be a theme that brings a little improvement to one specific GUI page.
Inertia
Abomination
141 | 72
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Great Contribution Badge
Is an active collaborator / developer
Oh shit this sounds awesome! Will we have to wait for Sigma's release to start modifying its theme? Maybe there can be a simple blank .psd layout for people who want start making a new theme now?
Texalic
Grubber
333 | 23
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Another cookie for you.
whist
Team Member
634 | 557
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Median XL Team Member
Inertia wrote:Oh shit this sounds awesome! Will we have to wait for Sigma's release to start modifying its theme? Maybe there can be a simple blank .psd layout for people who want start making a new theme now?

Would be better to wait for the release as I'm not done implementing all of the GUI stuff yet. (the GUI code is actually 90% of the remaining "to-do" before an actual release).
That means the layouts and stuff can change, not to mention those that haven't been created yet.
Inertia
Abomination
141 | 72
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Great Contribution Badge
Is an active collaborator / developer
whist wrote:
Inertia wrote:Oh shit this sounds awesome! Will we have to wait for Sigma's release to start modifying its theme? Maybe there can be a simple blank .psd layout for people who want start making a new theme now?

Would be better to wait for the release as I'm not done implementing all of the GUI stuff yet. (the GUI code is actually 90% of the remaining "to-do" before an actual release).
That means the layouts and stuff can change, not to mention those that haven't been created yet.

Ah, makes sense. This is a really good idea though. Will be cool to see custom themes in the future.
whist
Team Member
634 | 557
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Median XL Team Member
This also has the advantage that nobody can complain about the GUI. Once a few themes have been submitted, the user will be able to select the theme that suits his preferences, or even create his own if he/she's still not happy. This also adds some flavor to the game, and hey, it was fun to implement :P For now I'm not providing more details, this will come once the mod is released. This thread is mainly here for people saying I don't do shit because I don't post enough screenshots, but concepts like this one can't really be shown off as screenshots.
Zartok
Rust Claw
86 | 12
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Wow, that is such a cool idea :) It seems there is a lot people in the mxl community that likes graphicing (if that is a word) so implementing this is a great idea for seeing new and refreshing GUI's.
GregMXL
Team Member
10590 | 180
Legendary Posting Badge
Posted over 10.000 messages
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Median XL Team Member
Great Special Badge
Legend.
You don't do shit because you don't post enough screenshots. :mrgreen: This is a great idea though.
I don't mean to dwell...but I can't help myself.
Alkaiser
Balrog
122 | 4
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Looks like I have another reason to do more graphic design. Can't wait!!!
Kinasin
Skeleton
2 | 0
Nice.