Can You Connect Two Open Characters Through the Same IP?

Discuss Median XL!
unsane
Imp
5 | 0
I've been happily playing MXL with a friend over The Sin War, on the same internet connection/IP address.

We would like to play with Single Player (Open) characters instead. Is this possible with Open Battle.net and/or Other Multiplayer?

When i tested it with 2 SP characters in my account, on Open B.net, the second character gets error "Invalid Game Name", which is a strange error to get since the game is there. Is it because you can't join the same Open game from the same IP? Do i need to use a proxy or something to have 2 IPs on the same connection?

Other Multiplayer doesn't seem to work using the same IP either.

Any ideas?
suchbalance
Team Member
1756 | 513
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Skill Badge
Experienced Player
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Great Mind Badge
A Median XL guru... a true book of knowledge
When you are on the same connection you always have different local IPs (your router should be set by default as a DHCP server), so TCP/IP multiplayer should not be a problem. If this is not the case for you guys, you have two options 1) Enable DHCP in your router's admin control panel or 2) Manually configure different IPs for yourselves in your wireless / LAN adapter (whichever you use) settings.

You can also use the multiplayer - TCP/IP option to play over the internet, but you have to use a virtual network like hamachi or gameranger.
unsane
Imp
5 | 0
Wireless router settings say Dynamic, under "Dynamic/Static". Though according to Google, and 'what is my ip' type searching, all computers connected to my router have the same IP address, which is the router's "Modem IP Address".
Warren1001
Monkey King
259 | 10
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
You don't need a virtual network to play with others using TCP/IP. Just need the know-how to portforward (and a router capable of doing so). But this doesn't apply here as they're on the same network. Simply go to TCP/IP, have one person host. The person that is hosting gives the other person the string of numbers on the main TCP/IP screen and have them join the game.
Quirinus
Team Member
1510 | 184
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
^yeah do that

unsane wrote:Wireless router settings say Dynamic, under "Dynamic/Static". Though according to Google, and 'what is my ip' type searching, all computers connected to my router have the same IP address, which is the router's "Modem IP Address".

that's your internet ip, not your local ip.
"but if it's simple it's not that hard" - Quirinus 2017
"small things like this are not a big deal" - Quirinus 2017
unsane
Imp
5 | 0
Thanks for the help all!

Warren1001 wrote:Simply go to TCP/IP, have one person host. The person that is hosting gives the other person the string of numbers on the main TCP/IP screen and have them join the game.

I'm able to host a game, but the other computer gets "Cannot Connect to Server".

Oddly enough, if i switch host and joiner, it works... Not sure that will be useful though, because my main computer is the one i'd play with a friend. Hopefully his can host. We'll see.
spinheadmickey
Prowler
17 | 0
You *MAY* need to configure your firewall and add an exception for D2. I ran into that very problem in Win7 several times