Short Questions Thread

Discuss Median XL!
Murreh
Bone Archer
70 | 1
TheUnderling wrote:Does bonus damage to demons/undead apply to all sources of damage?

Definitely only physical, and I believe it's only WDM as well. Physical from spells is a separate mechanic. It's a decent stat for a big two-hand-swingin' wrecking ball character, kinda terrible for rainbows
Murreh
Bone Archer
70 | 1
aknazer wrote:So using the SpeedCalc and setting the WSM to -60 for a Warp Blade it says that I only need 14 additional IAS to hit 5 Frames, and from there there's nothing after that. Have I properly put in the stats (selected Sorc and 1h Swing)? It just seems odd that I would only need 14 IAS to hit max attack speed, especially since you can easily get that from charms that add +Overall Speed.

It's probably that way intentionally for balance reasons. %spelldamage only adds damage on the enemy directly hit by a swing, not any AoE effects after the fact. Needing little attack speed allows them to focus on other stats... like cast speed, which they need a lot more of if they use anything other than a staff. It may also be leftover from vanilla D2 and was simply never changed. Assassins are fairly similar, after ubercharms they only need a handful of attack speed to cap at 8 frames (believe it's even less for claws).

Characters' speeds vary all over the place, some with low requirements here and extreme ones there... I'd just assume it's all Working As Intended™
suchbalance
Team Member
1756 | 513
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Skill Badge
Experienced Player
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Great Mind Badge
A Median XL guru... a true book of knowledge
The -60 wsm is just a perk of the warp blades.

As for why it is like that, only Laz has the actual answer but it was most likely a consideration of one or more of the following: to make those weapons different and unique, to compensate for the hideously high FBR breakpoint all melee sorcs have to max, to compensate for the lack of flat damage on the tree (and the, at that time, lack of melee sorc specific uber skill) etc.
Pseudorandom
Stone Warrior
32 | 0
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Working on a batstrike assassin. Two quick questions
1. Can Shower of Rocks crit if I have Shadow Dancer and am using the Hail runeword
2. Does IAS increase my attackspeed with Batstrike, because it seems WAY slower then crucify/Shadow Refuge
cache
Azure Drake
172 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Is it worth it to stack +800 mf vs +600mf and killspeed?
seelenstein
Stone Warrior
31 | 1
No!
(Except if the kill speed difference is less than 30 secs per run ;))
illusion
Gravedigger
188 | 10
Common Popularity Badge
somehow got to 1000 mf on my zon, and with curare kill speed is kinda the same always, just need -100 res
Murreh
Bone Archer
70 | 1
Pseudorandom wrote:attackspeed with Batstrike, because it seems WAY slower

Because it is. As I remember, Batstrike has its own sequential animation type, and it can only go as fast as 9-10 frames at maximum and it takes a lot of attack speed to reach it (I think around 200, or close to it). Some animations "simply work that way"

cache wrote:+800 mf vs +600mf and killspeed

Never checked the exact formula, but Median changed the MF formula so that you have a different "effective MF" for different types of items, with an absolute ceiling that's pretty low (something like 650% for rares, 250% for uniques, somewhere in between for sets). Because of how it scales, you have almost exactly the same "effective MF" for uniques at 500 MF as you do at 2500. If you have a few charms that have decent MF on them, you're good to ignore the stat everywhere else

EDIT: I'll reword that. By "few" and "decent", I mean a total of 400-500% everywhere is about as good as you can get. After the first few hundred MF, you start getting like 4-5 effective points per 100 MF and it simply isn't worth it
Scalewinged
Cow Ninja
1293 | 61
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Pseudorandom wrote:Working on a batstrike assassin. Two quick questions
1. Can Shower of Rocks crit if I have Shadow Dancer and am using the Hail runeword
2. Does IAS increase my attackspeed with Batstrike, because it seems WAY slower then crucify/Shadow Refuge

1. Yes and it will double the total output phys damage (3/2 WDM x 2)

2. Yes it does. Dualclaw skills (Batstrike, Noctule) have different breakpoints and they have much slower animation than 1-claw attack (crucify, shadow refuge, twinfang strike). You can check it in speedcalc by selecting class: assassin; weapon class: dual claws; and there will open part called "Sequencel animation". There you can select batstrike or batstrike with dual claws for seeing breakpoints (Noctule have same system). And don't forget to point WSM for both primary and second claw as well as IAS on weapons
heamn
Gravedigger
182 | 7
Common Popularity Badge
Hi guys,

Trying to work out an assassin build, i'm particularly fond of the Assassin's Queen of Blade
Quick question as below

1) If i prebuff bloodlust before QoB, would the bloodlust effect stay for the duration of QoB?
2) Does it carry crushing blow too?
3) If yes if i swap to switch weapon with 100% CB and cast QoB, followed by switching back to normal weap, does the CB stays? or follows to my main weap?