Why do we still have gold penalty on death.

Discuss Median XL!
User avatar
Prime_Evil
Gore Crawler
1588 | 138
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
...its a penalty? something to punish you for dying in softcore besides the xp penalty?

when you say "death penalty" youre already answering your own question.
User avatar
Unda
Ice Clan
555 | 19
ticktick wrote:if it's so easy to get lots of gold, whats the point of the death penalty? it's just a waste of time.


Main penalty when dying is experience loss, gold loss is just addition which can stop you for example from resurrecting mercenary without effort if you died.

I see waste of time argument always alive even after map reveal feature given to NPC's.
Kylrath
Thunder Beetle
57 | 3
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Gold penalty is not an issue at lategame. You can get 1mil gold in 3 min.
It hurts in early game, but you can still sell apples and runed throw weapons.
If i start a new character , mule him 15-20 AC, will i struggle with anything ? No.
Obvisouly there must be something to make early game difficult. Annoying ? Yes! But its a must have.
I never mule gold. Lets have some fun :)
When you almost lvl 121 and die you wont a give a f*** about gold :)
User avatar
Scalewinged
Ice Clan
595 | 16
Even for early game: Make El rw in random helm, fill some random rings/ammy and helm with 15% gold MOs, run IotSS on Hatred - get back in town with around 500-600k gold.
User avatar
superwash
Stygian Watcher
40 | 2
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Unda wrote:
First, why you didnt used Short Questions Thread, you will get answers there usually in minutes or try on Discord chat.

So before criminating some game mechanics next time, better try asking yourself that maybe you missed something or didnt learned earlier.
.


So first off you could not be an ass. I posted this here because I wanted a discussion not just a simple one or two sentence snarky answer.
I am very well aware of many ways to easily obtain gold to solve my problems. That is not the problem though. It is just an incredible waste of time that is does not add anything to the game and only hinders it. I do like that gold is hard to get first starting off, so we cant cheese with MOs anymore. I am just sick and tired of not being able to afford potions and my merc just because im trying to push the limits of my creation.
User avatar
Unda
Ice Clan
555 | 19
superwash wrote:
Unda wrote:
First, why you didnt used Short Questions Thread, you will get answers there usually in minutes or try on Discord chat.

So before criminating some game mechanics next time, better try asking yourself that maybe you missed something or didnt learned earlier.
.


So first off you could not be an ass. I posted this here because I wanted a discussion not just a simple one or two sentence snarky answer.
I am very well aware of many ways to easily obtain gold to solve my problems. That is not the problem though. It is just an incredible waste of time that is does not add anything to the game and only hinders it. I do like that gold is hard to get first starting off, so we cant cheese with MOs anymore. I am just sick and tired of not being able to afford potions and my merc just because im trying to push the limits of my creation.


First, my post was way too gentle as answer for "problems" you posted as starter of this topic, ranting to devs that they need to fix non-existing problem just because you cant sustain enough amount of gold is hilarious.

Get better with not dying, get better at mercs and dont let them dying so often, this is ez fixable.
User avatar
Fumbles
Tantrum changes fan
1463 | 149
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Unda wrote:Get better with not dying, get better at mercs and dont let them dying so often, this is ez fixable.


A lot of players don't know about the merc bug, so you could have mentioned that when re-hiring a merc, a player needs to rejoin the game after or the merc won't survive to its fullest ability.

The gold penalty shouldn't exist for the stash. Why even have a stashed gold feature if it isn't safe? Having to remove it and drop it on the ground every time a guy wants to farm a rippy area does nothing but waste time. It doesn't improve the game, it doesn't improve a players skill, it doesn't make mercs run from the aoe of barrels in dunc or kite arrowsides in tran. This "feature" is now exacerbated by the the increase in mystic orb price and nerf to vendor price reduction. Both of which are a joke. Orbs are only worth using on honorifics, which aren't available until act 5.
The vender reduction nerf is just a shitty solution to players that were stacking it to repair toraja/void keys.


Post-it notes :derp:
User avatar
Gekko64
Polar Worm
1836 | 88
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
what about a fixed penalty instead of it being based on the amount you have stored in stash? that way 1 death doesn't cost you half your stashed gold and there's still an incentive to visit iotss from time to time
User avatar
Unda
Ice Clan
555 | 19
Fumbles wrote:
Unda wrote:Get better with not dying, get better at mercs and dont let them dying so often, this is ez fixable.


A lot of players don't know about the merc bug, so you could have mentioned that when re-hiring a merc, a player needs to rejoin the game after or the merc won't survive to its fullest ability.

The gold penalty shouldn't exist for the stash. Why even have a stashed gold feature if it isn't safe? Having to remove it and drop it on the ground every time a guy wants to farm a rippy area does nothing but waste time. It doesn't improve the game, it doesn't improve a players skill, it doesn't make mercs run from the aoe of barrels in dunc or kite arrowsides in tran. This "feature" is now exacerbated by the the increase in mystic orb price and nerf to vendor price reduction. Both of which are a joke. Orbs are only worth using on honorifics, which aren't available until act 5.
The vender reduction nerf is just a shitty solution to players that were stacking it to repair toraja/void keys.


Post-it notes :derp:


Why should i mention vanilla d2 known bugs here? He was asking about removing gold penalty from dying so it was his main problem with character survivability.

The gold penalty is simple way of death taking its toll, i think everyone understands that most old mechanics here isnt perfect, simple to fact of what blizzard coded. Sigma and whist work maybe will give better suited penalty system but for now its how it is and not a big inconvenience, you can imagine when you died then who rekt you looted you, simple. There exist some more harsh systems around, for example in Gloria Victis when you get killed, during short timer some of your gear can be looted once.

About taking gold penalty from stash, if you want to be that realistic what about allowing to keep in stash only as much gold as can fit in? 2.5mio of gold pieces + your loot you keeping there, right...

Last thing, to sustain gold for gambling and crafting, repair, merc in vanilla you was pushed to build very expensive gold horker barb. You had less available options to get gold than in median and guess what, people was complaining less than whats going on in here.

Ps. To your Post-it laugh. It was directly under DreamTeam quoted post and adressed to him so whats so funny about it? I talked with him few times ingame trying to help and so did it here with that post reminding him how to simple work out gold ingame and how small simple solutions like with that little stickers can help him remembering most important things he catch from walls of text i whispered to him ingame.
User avatar
Unda
Ice Clan
555 | 19
Gekko64 wrote:what about a fixed penalty instead of it being based on the amount you have stored in stash? that way 1 death doesn't cost you half your stashed gold and there's still an incentive to visit iotss from time to time


I was sure its still like this:

If you are killed, your character will lose a percentage of the total gold both carried and stored in the Stash. This percentage is equal to your character's level but will not exceed 20%. After this 'death penalty' is deducted, the remaining gold your character was carrying falls to the ground in a pile. If the penalty exceeds the amount of gold you were carrying, the remainder of the penalty is deducted from your Stash.