The ChuckNoris Challenge

Discuss Median XL!
User avatar
OnlyForFun
Gravedigger
186 | 13
Why after so many years, you barbarian guide still prefer rebound to stampede?
User avatar
ChuckNoRis
Flying Polar Buffalo
1904 | 48
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
there is already another throwing barb build in the compilation that uses it more . Floki is a rebounder with snake/eagle stances that uses stampede in the spots where rebound is not efficient (half the time it uses stampede actualy ) , no.37 Tormund is using just stampede (no rebound) + some screaming eagles and Lion Stance . it's more about build diversity .

i sometimes refuse to use the best skills just to have more diversity and i chose the second best/third best options. i don't like to play just the mainstream best options . that would mean playing just the top 5-10 OP builds/patch . i believe all of them deserve a chance , that's why a big part of the compilation is based on this , providing alternatives to mainstream .
User avatar
Aero
Talic
6696 | 234
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
L H wrote:you say p8 is easy when we all struggle on p1. I'm trying to find the understanding.

Chucknoris wrote:then you must spend some time in hatred for boosting your gear in order not to fail in terror (Mephisto runs) . Attempting the LC1 before level 50 is making no sense since you cannot benefit from it before 50 . why would someone struggle there at level 30-ish with crap t1 gear ?


yup, did that. was ~lvl 64 before starting terror.

ChuckNoris wrote:doing it right , you finish hatred with full t6 (or at least t5 if you can't wear t6 yet) gear , which makes early terror easy , while keeping the /players 8 setting .


yup, did that. farmed nihl and meph until I had all tier 6 by the time I started terror, including honorifics with the proper MO's as you suggested.

did lc2 at lvl 73 (only got 9 levels walking all the way through the areas, didn't speed run the acts) by the time I got to lc2. wasn't hard because lc2 isn't hard. it's kinda dumb, really besides tsw lag maybe being a threat.

ChuckNoris wrote: increase the /players setting back and gain more experience .


irrelevant statement cause this challenge is TSW-based.

Chucknoris wrote:from level 90 to 120 the leveling can be done while doing terror k3kba/tran athula runs (fauztinville if you are strong enough) , depending on where can your build have better results , in the search for shrines/sacred gear (usualy you start doing them on /players 1 and only increase the /players count if the build is strong enough to handle more pain) . you don't even need to advance to act 4 terror , you just re-run those places untill 120 .


lol. with my gear appropriately as you stated it for early game, I have.. I don't even know cause it was so sad that I couldn't make it to Travincal.. maybe like 15k defense and 1%dr from oil of luck on one of my items, with 1pt idol of scosglen (why is this 1pt if the build is paper? why do you spec points into psn avatar to boost minion psn flash if your entire build is built around psn flash and wildfire? unnecessary. use those points for idol to help make defense more valuable). maybe if I was able to get to 90 without spam-running terror den of evil, I could have some defense. using minions as a defense mechanism and constantly spamming ahead to lure small mobs out didn't even work that well.

Chucknoris wrote:1. LH told me the Hulk treewarden sucks in early game regarding the defence , while he tried doing lc1 with crap gear (1.9k total character defence) . He still has the same impression regarding mid terror , still with crapy gear , and underleveled (level 76 if the status sheet on page 1 of this thread is correct ) .

with propper gear and a weapon mo'ed with LoA that lack of total character defence will not be felt untill BRC (there is where the pain kicks in - terror Tran Athula/Fauzinville) . after BRC the defence gets a nice boost and is no longer a concern


I didn't "try" LC1. I did it. It wasn't hard because it's LC1. What was annoying is the fact that a treewarden is paper.

for the mo's, perhaps you should consider redoing those cause the weapon said MO IAS, which put me right near my current level with a tier 4-ish. Mana on attack and life on attack should be a very clear priority, but you didn't write it that way, so..

Chucknoris wrote:2. Freykin is doing great with the Seer so far


Yes, pestilence malice necro is a decent build. that's already well known.

Chucknoris wrote:3. Goodkidssc has a hard time with the Neutraldin , yet , same as LH he is very underleveled + he did not upgrade the gear as it was ment (not having Apocalypse from both sources at the proper time of the game) .


He couldn't maintain mana with one source, given the requirements to wear other pieces of equipment and still spec energy at that part of the game. He continually tried and discussed in our chat, but felt it wasn't worth his time.

Chucknoris wrote:6. Thraxis said that he had a bit hard time in late hatred and early terror as Lagertha and he wished for some better tankiness at that stage of the game , he would have liked the benefits of the Fire elementals extra meatsheild . he has done great so far , he is now being able to farm destruction tran athula with just 4 TU-s and 2 abbandoned crafts equipped + a handfull of charms .


he has done well, yes. very painful in areas because there is no way to get single target damage with this build the way it is setup, but he has managed to do fairly well.

7. Somnus is doing decent with the rebound barbarian , keeping in mind that rebound is inferior to stampede and in a lot of spots it cannot be used efficently as the walls are not ricocheting the rebounds if there are enemies behind them + there are maps where rebound cannot be used (almost) at all (see Tran Athula as example ) . He did well to use the 1-pointer Stampede where rebound could not work , just as the miniguide sais .

Chucknoris wrote:10 . if i understood corectly , Seekers was doing good with the Arsonist as i have red on some stream chat .


he has mentioned that he is quitting as well since (tl;dr version) the build relies on talon's hold, but since midgame says to ditch that, he is unable to sustain the build. keeping talon's hold through midgame, he said, would work better.

Chucknoris wrote:11 . Delusion was doing good with Poison Ivy when i have checked his stream


because psn sorc and current state of psn damage in mxl (sigma already addressed this issue).

Chucknoris wrote:you guys made a challenge in playing builds that were designed for SP (/players setting / shared stash ) while not allowing twinking , just trading between the players of the challenge with the stuff they have found . It's obviously a hard challenge as none of those builds were designed for that .

so where is that feedback that would make me change something important to those miniguides? i did not got any so far .


the feedback (mind you this is not an angry rage post but observational from other's discussion and personal progress), is that, sure, twinking some crystals or set pieces here or there can make this doable. twinking taha and elemental runes and mnx boots and other outrageous equipment for "midgame" in which most people see midgame as a transition from TU gear to gathering some early charms and challenges in runewords or cheap crafts if they manage shrines to do so, is pretty silly, since teganze is not even an endgame area for a lot of builds as it is right now (reference to ele rw's at destruction act 1?)

case in point, you make a massive build list for sp twinking and shared stash and play, that's great and fun, but should still consider those people who actually want to play and enjoy the game as the game is designed and perhaps create options to compensate for legitimate playthrough.

that's all I have to say, You can respond however you want, but I'm not the only one who agrees with this. I respect what you've done with the builds, and I'm sure if I played SP, I'd be slightly more understanding simply because of higher SP drop rates and ability to control player count, but I don't cause sp is boring and lonely. even on shitty wifi, tsw is more entertaining to me. to each, their own.

gl to the rest of the players. i'm sorry I couldn't keep up. i have things to do in real life that limit my time and ability and simply could not follow the guide's playthrough as it was written. enjoy.
User avatar
HechtHeftig
I paid 10$ for this.
1801 | 124
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
@ LH

I'm speaking from some experience in SP when I say: You can easily level in sewers act 2 to 84 even on /players 1. When you continue on /players 1 from level 82 on (starting with q2 in a 2), you'll be level 87 by the time you reach lc 2, that's why I usually only level to 82 in sewers. You can get much higher though just farming this place (1 run on /p 8 on level 64 --> level 78 at least. That means 4 runs on /p 1 will get you the same result). And isn't farming/grinding the basis of d2? And if that still fails... wasn't there some guy in the last ladder who got to 120 in hatred only? Maybe you should try that approach?

I find it kinda like a kick to the balls for chuck that even one of the event managers quits the event. That's a shout to everyone to stop this challenge. Especially since you are one of the event managers, LH, that's imo unacceptable unless there's some random shit going on in your rl, which I could ofc understand. But the way you make it sound, it looks like you're quitting because the build is not as you expected it to be. It's a challenge for a reason, remember? This challenge was meant to explore builds. To get yourself away from the typical 08/15 builds that rock everything easily and have a different kind of experience.

And to give at least some gratz to Chuck: The mana base sorc build works nice. I still get one-shotted by mephisto in hatred sometimes, but I guess that's just because I didn't move. But I got my strategy set now. If I didn't take a look at my gear before going to terror, I probably wouldn't have noticed that I only had a T2 Queen of glass, a T3 staff of roses and a T5 topspin. (the rest was still the early game runewords as in really shitty ones) Now I just need 4 crystals to get a T5 aerin orbiter and then I'll continue in terror. But seriously this build really works well and I thank chuck and the event managers (including LH) to offer me the possibility to grant me insight on a character I've never played before. I love the playstyle and I love challenging it is (keeping attacks up while moving and having to avoid missiles and melee monsters meanwhile). I haven't had that much fun ever since I found out how to abuse A1 merc on summon necro. I would welcome a few more reanimates though.
Thraxis
Sasquatch
69 | 14
Common Contest Badge
Has won a forum contest
I've been hesitating to post since the back and forth with people quitting and chuck posting and some of the responses. I am not quitting the challenge but I know I have a build at this point that is going to fall behind some of the easier to gear/easier to face roll builds when it comes to ubering. As is right now I'm closing in on 100 sigs. I have one of the three "required' parts of my set that's recommended and i'm working on even getting enough aba shrines to get decent rolls on decent gear. The build at this point is lacking in def, and in some places lacking both defense and damage. I literally cannot do legion of blood, and I doubt the builds ability to do Dbaal until you get either fully geared in aba crafts with ridiculous rolls, or you grind your way to 121 and do xis runes and then finally go back and beat dbaal.

I know Jav is basically meant for farming and that's about it, but it's rough to see a build not even be able to do legacy of blood. I might be able to squeak it out if I could swap points from wild and free into fire eles but chuck has already said he doesn't want the build to be a "hybrid" build. So at this point all I can do is grind nith, SLOWLY do dest TA (not even worth it), or do Dest/Terror Jungles (still very slowly) and hope I get enough sigs, and RNGeesus blesses me with better drops.

I do see the build being able to do a few more ubers than I currently have done. Namely Quov Tzin (getting flat DR rolls on craft pieces would make it not a nightmare), and geting traders chest are both possible. Trail of Blood might be possible with a geared merc to apply some crowd control and some luck but the build seriously struggles in that place.

From playing this build I think that ricochet needs some kind of buff/needs to be looked at. In many places I was better off using my single point enfilade to deal with enemies plodding towards me. I'm sure it does it's job later in the game/with gear more meant for it, but as is if you can afford to stand still even for a few seconds, a single point in enfilade downs enemies faster than 20 points into ricochet and it's hard for me to see how that's even a thing. Not having some of the mid game runewords available to me also makes getting higher than ~150k def a thing, so until I have max block (currently at 30%) I'm pretty much paper in most places. These are things that an untwinked build has to deal with while following theses guides as "gospel" and when I either finally break through this wall by headbutting it until it drops enough sigs, or I tap out, I'll make sure to have a better worded and more in depth critique of the build.
User avatar
Solfege
Mahasattva
912 | 126
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
ChuckNoRis wrote:
► Show Spoiler


Since your builds are built around this specific Early/Mid/End-Game leveling progression, this would probably be good info to add somewhere at the beginning of your compilation.
User avatar
Aero
Talic
6696 | 234
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
HechtHeftig wrote:I find it kinda like a kick to the balls for chuck that even one of the event managers quits the event. That's a shout to everyone to stop this challenge. Especially since you are one of the event managers, LH, that's imo unacceptable unless there's some random shit going on in your rl, which I could ofc understand. But the way you make it sound, it looks like you're quitting because the build is not as you expected it to be. It's a challenge for a reason, remember? This challenge was meant to explore builds. To get yourself away from the typical 08/15 builds that rock everything easily and have a different kind of experience.


1.) I have a lot of things going on. I have maybe an hour or two a couple times a week to play.
2.) event manager or not, i'm a player. the way i found the build to be, it was not worth my time to continue with what little spare time i already have.
3.) im quitting because above reason. i understand the challenge. i hosted the challenge. i'm not that blind. don't try to put yourself in someone's shoes if you can't understand their shoes.
4.) I rarely play the meta char in ladder seasons.



5.) a kick to the balls is often needed in real life. ice them and move forward.
User avatar
HechtHeftig
I paid 10$ for this.
1801 | 124
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
L H wrote:
HechtHeftig wrote:I find it kinda like a kick to the balls for chuck that even one of the event managers quits the event. That's a shout to everyone to stop this challenge. Especially since you are one of the event managers, LH, that's imo unacceptable unless there's some random shit going on in your rl, which I could ofc understand. But the way you make it sound, it looks like you're quitting because the build is not as you expected it to be. It's a challenge for a reason, remember? This challenge was meant to explore builds. To get yourself away from the typical 08/15 builds that rock everything easily and have a different kind of experience.


1.) I have a lot of things going on. I have maybe an hour or two a couple times a week to play.
2.) event manager or not, i'm a player. the way i found the build to be, it was not worth my time to continue with what little spare time i already have.
3.) im quitting because above reason. i understand the challenge. i hosted the challenge. i'm not that blind. don't try to put yourself in someone's shoes if you can't understand their shoes.
4.) I rarely play the meta char in ladder seasons.



5.) a kick to the balls is often needed in real life. ice them and move forward.



1) Same goes for me. I have 4 personal projects aside from median. That‘s the sole reason why I‘m still lvl 54.
2)the way I see it, it‘s a random choice. You should‘ve known when you said you want to participate. Else why would you even participate in the first place? Just to say chucks builds are trash?
3) if you mean I don‘t understand you. Yes I haven‘t played hulk build. I‘ll try as soon as possible just to prove you wrong and show you‘re just whining for no reason.
4) that‘s fine. The main part of the game is about exploring builds. Still you write only guides about skills/ builds that are known to rock, like Totemancer and ancients Hand dagger mancer. So you writing „I rather write guides on my own - quit“ in the google sheet is simply a dick move.

5) It‘s a metaphor. Nn to reply to such a thing unless you don‘t understand it.

And lastly: don‘t let the upvote on this get to your head. This was me trying to give you a downvote on a phone.
User avatar
ChuckNoRis
Flying Polar Buffalo
1904 | 48
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Solfege wrote:Since your builds are built around this specific Early/Mid/End-Game leveling progression, this would probably be good info to add somewhere at the beginning of your compilation.
it's been there in the first post of the compilation since always
User avatar
Solfege
Mahasattva
912 | 126
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
ChuckNoRis wrote:
Solfege wrote:Since your builds are built around this specific Early/Mid/End-Game leveling progression, this would probably be good info to add somewhere at the beginning of your compilation.
it's been there in the first post of the compilation since always

fk. you're right. my bad. :)