Median XL 1.13-1.14 VS Sigma... Is it really better?

Threads that no longer serve a purpose. Read-only.
obsideo666
Imp
5 | 1
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
From the looks of all the topics going on in Discord, I think the devs could of released Sigma for only the cow level. Nothing else. :hammer:
willyboy
Abomination
151 | 18
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
In Sigma you need for everything more time, leveling, reaching an area - all is based on "you have to walk a lot, nothing is reachable fast".

The time you need for 100 to 120 is a bad joke, really....this is no fun and the first time since five seasons I stopped this in first week of new ladder. In next days I´ll try this again and have a look on some changes, but my first impression over all is not great. Nice ideas (resolution, auto-wp, new items), but many other bad things on the other side.
onanism
Cultist
21 | 2
To me, the level requirement of the ubers and the level progression in general make me feel stuck on rails. You can only do ubers and level up where the game wants you to. I miss the freedom from pre-Sigma where you could sequence break and go wherever without the game holding your hand.

The quality of life changes were amazing but the current progression seems too forced
KratosTheAxeman
Pit Knight
101 | 3
HechtHeftig wrote:Great stuff:
-Fast cubing
-new items (though some Tiered uniques still make me wonder what their raison d´être is)
-auto wp pickup
-auto ID stuff. Saves lots of time
-Immunity removal. Though I still use 2 different types of damage
-Uber reworks. So far I really like the changes to them.

Stuff I haven't decided yet whether it's good or bad:
-level locked areas (On one hand I feel it's nice to be given a guideline. On the other hand I wonder if it's really necessary and getting level is partly really annoying. I'm level 114 atm and Torajan Jungles don't give any exp at all. Cow level is much better for leveling til 115)

Bad stuff:
-sprint mechanic (It's not rewarding, it's punishing in every single case)
-5 second timer upon death starting only after you press esc. It should be vice versa that the countdown starts and then you can press esc to get back to town.
-the whole gold rework. It makes honorifics even worse then they were last patch.
-the part where you have to enter the gold value you want to stash, instead of just clicking once and press enter like it used to be
-Crafting is dead. Seriously, the only reason to shrine craft items is to reroll rares now. So crafting takes a lot more time now in order to get a decent item that can somewhat compete with the SU's
-Rerolling is dead. Or at least it's very tedious and expensive. If you want to reroll a magic item, you have to use 1 green elixier and then 1 blue. Total Cost: Around 13 k gold for a MAGIC ITEM. With how few gold you have nowadays, it's really annoying and doesn't guarantee a good, fast start and instead limits you a lot. Which leads me to my next point:
-Rares and magic items are nearly useless now. Unless you're really damn lucky, you can leave the items on the ground, else it's just pickup and instant inventory clearing again.
So in total: Honorific, rare, crafted and magic items are nearly useless now. Focus on Sets, RW's and SU's. Custom itemization is now dependant on luck again.

► Show Spoiler

God damn it, Shrine-Crafting was ruined in this patch? I'm not getting anything good for rares. I was hoping Shrines would've been an option when I reached Nightmare.
HechtHeftig
I paid 10$ for this.
2452 | 190
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
KratosTheAxeman wrote:God damn it, Shrine-Crafting was ruined in this patch? I'm not getting anything good for rares. I was hoping Shrines would've been an option when I reached Nightmare.

Shrine crafts don‘t give the double mystic orb effect anymore. That means if you heavily rely on life leech for example, shrine crafting will be reall meh. You either go with a unique or a rw that already grant ll on top of the ll of the mystic orbs, else you won‘t be able to sustain yourself with ll alone.

So yeah, shrine crafting is still the only good way to reroll rares. So that‘s at least something. But thanks to that missing modifier, you‘ll need more good affixes on the craft to make it good, which in turn means it‘s a lot more unlikely to get a good roll.
nikolaipka
Core Lord
380 | 17
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
willyboy wrote:In Sigma you need for everything more time, leveling, reaching an area - all is based on "you have to walk a lot, nothing is reachable fast".

The time you need for 100 to 120 is a bad joke, really....this is no fun and the first time since five seasons I stopped this in first week of new ladder. In next days I´ll try this again and have a look on some changes, but my first impression over all is not great. Nice ideas (resolution, auto-wp, new items), but many other bad things on the other side.

The whole idea if you ask is to keep people playing ladder for long time not like old ladders rush for 2-3 weeks max, but this idea to force ppl to grind to reach required lvl to enter dungeon... worst idea i've ever seen in median. Sigma is shiny, polished mod to attract more casual players and keep them playing till they reach 135-150... This is not the way. I'm off too probably due to same reasons willy and constant disconnects.
Profanity
Destroyer
6 | 2
Sigma is an entirely modernized version. Similar progressions have been made to Median in the past. The staff has done an immense job, and they’ve made a lot of decisions for balance and simplification purposes (gold, lvl reqs, lvl challenges, etc) . Median XL is fucking overwhelming, and grasping new players that may not even have an understanding of D2 was a gargantuan hurdle in past versions.

People are lazy, and modern PC gaming culture is drastically different than the seasoned folk notice. Most of the new players don’t want to read a manual. Have you seen the amount of repeat questions in Discord tech support?

It’s v1.0. Feedback is great, but whining about not knowing what is powerful is puerile, and unremarkable. If you prefer PlugY with easy gold and superior crafting viability, you can still play a previous version. Nobody is forcing you to change. Some people didn’t even upgrade to 2017 so they could abuse pouncezons and such.

Sigma is a new frontier that may need some tweaks and innovation. The QoL upgrades are enough for me to convert to MP. The lag isn’t too bad, anyway.
RandomOnions
Sand Maggot
1148 | 50
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
I can't honestly believe people prefer the "beating all ubers in 2 days" ladders and then grinding TA/dunkeg/trophies/golden cycle for 6 months to sell for TG so they can get shrines faster next ladder. When did people stop playing for fun? It's an RPG, if you want to beat the game in 2 days with honorifics and using 1-2 shrines to craft your entire gear then play pre 2017 or play RoS. I really like where sigma has taken it and you actually have to play the mod now, not rush ubers and exploiting bugs/overpowered skills and mechanics to get stuff done.

I don't like deathless laz though, that's just rude.
willyboy
Abomination
151 | 18
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
And many others (like me) cant believe, that a game, based on only one level-thing named Cow-Run to reach some Uber so hype is.

But its everyones flavour - love it, change it or leave it....even the same story :)
rustycz
Prowler
15 | 1
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
ppl are mad cuz they cant obtain all charms in 2 days? lel