Quill Rat no longer Viable?

Discuss Median XL!
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
So, since CB no longer affects bosses, I don't see much point stacking it for the trash mobs. "On Kill" procs are also useless against bosses. Because Quill Rain isn't a spell or melee attack, anything relating to those is also useless. So, it looks like you'd need to craft a weapon with an "On Striking" proc to do anything with this build. Not really the desired effect, but I don't see a way around it at the momemnt.
Crash
Madawc
6799 | 327
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
you should generally always get an onstriking proc for quill storm anyways because of how often it hits. or just go for pure damage and skip a proc. I've seen almost as many trap rats as treewardens though with the change to quill storm having less hits but higher damage. its pretty good place right now I think
Solfege
Harpylisk
1461 | 209
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Idk much about Traprat, so take this fwiw, but with Quillstorm's higher damage and rapid fire, why not look into Deadly Strike?
Common Popularity Badge
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Solfege wrote:I don't play Traprat, so take this fwiw, but with Quillstorm's higher damage and rapid fire, why not look into Deadly Strike?

I have considered it, but all you can get is 5% and that's if you MO it onto your weapon. I don't think 5% would be enough considering it'll only double the damage of that one quill. So we'll say, out of 100 quills, 5 will do double dmg. Seems like a waste of MO space when I could get more AS or even 100% more weapon dmg.

While we're on it though, Weapon Damage is bad right? I've MO'd it before, but I didn't see the damage of the weapon go up any if at all. I always MO the 15% Enhanced Damage instead.
Solfege
Harpylisk
1461 | 209
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
If you're talking Enhanced Weapon Damage, it's a "hidden" mod that doesn't show up on the Lying Character Sheet, but it's still there. Same with +x% Damage to Demons/Undead/Necrobots.

I mentioned DS b/c of how big an impact it has on Sorc's Fusillade skill, the basic mechanics of which are pretty similar to Quillstorm. Even with as little as 5% DS, there's a noticable difference in killspeed.

There are also some armor pieces that give DS. Again, not sure what gear is required for Traprat, but it may be worth a look.
Glow-Worm
Bone Archer
76 | 3
Traprat is absolutely still viable. ESPECIALLY with the enemy resistance changes.
itsme
Thunder Beetle
55 | 2
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Guide Badge
Surely 1% DS = 1% phys damage on average no matter what the properties of the skill. So the question is really whether 20% EWD is more than 1% damage. Which it will be until you have 2000% total item EWD + stat bonus.

Or am I just totally wrong on this? It seems simple.
dxkdxk
Prowler
19 | 0
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Trap rat is definitely viable and quite good. It didn't get much love with the new SUs though.
Common Popularity Badge
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Solfege wrote:If you're talking Enhanced Weapon Damage, it's a "hidden" mod that doesn't show up on the Lying Character Sheet, but it's still there. Same with +x% Damage to Demons/Undead/Necrobots.

I mentioned DS b/c of how big an impact it has on Sorc's Fusillade skill, the basic mechanics of which are pretty similar to Quillstorm. Even with as little as 5% DS, there's a noticable difference in killspeed.

There are also some armor pieces that give DS. Again, not sure what gear is required for Traprat, but it may be worth a look.

Sorcs can get DS on gear if you check the RWs / TUs. Trap Rat cannot.
Common Popularity Badge
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
dxkdxk wrote:Trap rat is definitely viable and quite good. It didn't get much love with the new SUs though.

I got through Sunless Sea & Butcher. Uber Butcher didn't count as a boss or am I wrong? Bosses usually have the health bar at the bottom. So probably only actually Act Bosses count as bosses? If that's the case, CB might be back in business.