Sigma 1.1 Bugs & Feedback

Discuss Median XL!
budda
Rust Claw
84 | 2
Amazon
can get additional balance via Ecstatic frenzy.
Ecstatic frenzy gives bonus based on chosen devotion tree.
Example (based on points into Ecstatic and works while it active):
Dragon lore can adds -1% enemy resist per 2base lvl and 1%ctc thunder hammer on striking per 5base lvls
Moon queen adds to +5 dex per 2 base skills lvls
Lioness adds -3 enemy poison resist per 1 base lvl.
Bacchanalia +50 to life per 1 base lvl
Asterism +5 to min dmg

Thundercrack can be a bit changed.
Lightning bolts can get look like "white time strike bolts" with simular mechanic instead of light rays that randomly aiming.
That change make stormzon able to farm astro and i think she will be able do samael if all bolts will hit at close range.
Magnetic field have good dmg in center of field but thats are hard to control- most of bosses are teleports when take a hit and moving fast.
Hammer of zerae- pretty strange skill. It easy hit quvov, not bad hit astro, but miss vs kabr, baal.

Paladin
Can get new scepter for neutradin.
You can ressurect one but any mob in game except laz samael.
What? Barb already great. Why not make pala great again.

Leveling 0-140 are interesting.
When i get 140lvl i start test Laz exp at players 7. 3groupie= 1 Soul of Sloth so that are pretty low exp.
I think Laz and Uldy exp must be a bit higher at least from bosses.

Samael can be re balanced for party and bcse its too many people with high ping.
Chance to 1shot spells decreased but added chance that Samael summons totem, chance once in 4 sec.
Totem deals additional lighting damage in area and can be kiled with purify.
Edited by budda 5 years.
SwineFlu
Heretic
402 | 53
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies

MXL launcher & Sigma Installation

Before Sigma release it was possible to install the launcher in any folder, why have you decided to make it a mandatory to install the launcher into the user profile folder now? You can move it to a different location afterwards and it works perfectly fine, why can’t I choose its destination during the installation process in the first place? What’s that urgent necessity to place it into such an obscured directory as %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Programs? I'm perfectly fine with the fact that the launcher cache is saved inside the %USERPROFILE%\AppData, it's a browser after all, not a big deal. Maybe it’s just me, but I highly dislike any application which forces its way into the specific path and folder and you can’t change it without some obnoxious and occasionally even time consuming manipulations (looking at you Discord!)

Save data & configurations

I would be fine with the fact that you decided to use %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming directory to save the game data, any modern game does it this way nowadays. Unfortunately, Diablo 2 is not a modern game and it can’t handle any non ANSI characters in the path to its data. Game throws you an error that the new character is not from this mod if you try to start the game in SP and even more peculiar exception if you try to host or join TCP/IP game. Needless to say it’s much easier to change game location rather than user profile name (it's quite advanced task for an average user), and even if it was not the case why do you ever need to change the path to your user profile or create a new one in order to play some game? What’s wrong with the good old save folder that served us by almost 2 decades for now?

Funny enough it became even worse in the last? version: apparently game creates a new user profile called MedianXL (just a folder, to be more precise) inside the C:\Users directory if it can’t access %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming. However the only difference is that now you can save your configuration if you play on TSW and it does nothing for a single player or TCP/IP game, you still can’t create a character. So it looks like a band aid for the realm players and it doesn’t address local save data issue (yeah, who gives a shit about these pesky cheaters anyways, right?)

MXL launcher & Sigma removal

There are no backups created during the installation process, so you definitely won’t get your game in the initial "virgin" state if you decide to uninstall the mod. Personally I haven’t tried it myself, although I saw a numerous number of threads and posts where people were complaining about the issues with the game after the mod removal, so I’m assuming that the launcher might screw up your game files and bnet gateways as well. And that’s why I’m wondering, how many players would try this mod again in the future after having so much troubles with its removal. You can’t count that everyone is smart enough to make a backup prior to the installation.

P.S. In conclusion I’m vaguely remember how the Devs were shit talking D2SE and its creator Seltsamuel, it was something among the lines how hard and painful it was to support these 3rd party tools and how poorly this utility was designed. I partially agree with them without speaking of the dev personality and his design choices. Turns out that clunky and mundane D2SE is much more user friendly and less error prone than the remarkable and shiny MXL launcher and Sigma itself, as Todd Howard loves to say “It just works!” and unfortunately I can’t apply this phrase to the latter...
whist
Team Member
634 | 557
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
SwineFlu wrote:Before Sigma release it was possible to install the launcher in any folder, why have you decided to make it a mandatory to install the launcher into the user profile folder now?

To trivialize installation. Some users were installing in obscure/secured locations and would get issues running the app, I even recall one user had installed it in C:\WINDOWS of all places ... I also dislike not being able to choose where something is installed, but observation shows that a big part of our user-base barely knows how their computer works, so we need a "one click & run" setup as much as possible.

I would be fine with the fact that you decided to use %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming directory to save the game data, any modern game does it this way nowadays. Unfortunately, Diablo 2 is not a modern game and it can’t handle any non ANSI characters in the path to its data. Game throws you an error that the new character is not from this mod if you try to start the game in SP and even more peculiar exception if you try to host or join TCP/IP game?

I've fixed that for the upcoming patch already.
SwineFlu
Heretic
402 | 53
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Yesterday I decided to revise my installation and update the launcher to the latest version, needless to say I was surprised that some of these well known day 1 bugs are still there, so I'm glad to hear they were not forgotten.

Considering the fact that error message which sends you to the MXL discord support channel is a meme at this point I highly disagree with such trivialization. I see no reason how is a bit of customization could make things worse, with the right implementation (small checkbox for advanced options/command line parameters/etc.) only the users who pay enough attention at what they're doing could choose where to install the launcher.
ChuckNoRis
Flying Polar Buffalo
3006 | 81
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
can something be done about Wildfire so that it works when you attack the targets that are close to the map edges/close to walls/on stairs ?
transtrans
Cultist
23 | 0
Madder"s Frenzy's Wolf Companion does not stack up with Barbarian's Wolf Companion. Is that normal?
ChuckNoRis
Flying Polar Buffalo
3006 | 81
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
if it's not a "class only" boost , it is normal . it needed to be "barbarian only" for it to stack +18 to your barb's wolf points . the other classes will get +18 soft points to the wolf companion , pretty much useless overall
transtrans
Cultist
23 | 0
Thanks!
shazbot80
Fallen
1 | 0
I just created the TU 1 Sawfish in a Hatchet Hands and it has a level req of 24 - the tiered unique page says it should be 4.
mortimer_85
Djinn
520 | 230
Common Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Guide Badge
When Barbarians Protector Spirit is at skill level 1 his Bloodlust Elemental Damage Bonus seems to have at least a visual bug.
Skill level 1: Bonus = str basepoints div 2
above: Bonus = 10 + 2,5* (skill level-1)