Pls remove purify from this game

Discuss Median XL!
EvilOnion
Destroyer
6 | 0
The idea of Purify is nice for one or two bosses. But it is really boring, tedious, lazy and unispired, when you force it on multiple bosses. Also it goes against what Diablo stands for. There has never been an encounter in Diablo 1-3 that you were only able to defeat through the use of one single mechanic. Diablo is about using your wits, equipment and spec to make encounters work. Baal on hell in MedianXL is a great encounter. Everything before Uldyssian himself is good. The Yshari Sanctum is good, save for Valthek. Belial, Azmodan and Kabraxis are good. Yet it feels like the higher you get, the more you have to use purify and the more important it gets. Your character doesn't matter, your skills don't matter, your equipment barely matters. All that matters is that you hit purify....
It is not fun... and that is what a game, or in this case a mod, should be... All three of the 130 challenges are not fun. Two are purify (Laz, Uldy), one is a waiting game (Void)....
There is no need for me to play this mod any longer. I'm looking for something that is more fun than this. Even Diablo 3 was more fun than the bosses at 130....
Fiveiron
Fallen
1 | 0
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
I don't totally hate the existence of the purify mechanic, I think its alright as a content gate in that you have to make the Assur ring and equip it before doing certain content. I also don't have much of a problem with Valthek, it was a neat 'epic' quest and felt very satisfying once I learned the fight well enough.

I do see a few problems with these. Specifically with Uldyssian and a bit with the way the Valthek encounter and set is handled.

Uldyssian + Purify:
My biggest issue with this fight is limitations of game mechanics and the engine. Projectiles can only travel in certain directions so aiming is only good if the target is along one of those paths. In addition to this Uldy has an unnecessary amount of health, that's the only way I can say it. There's no lockout so you could just smash your face into it until you win. Uldy avoiding you at a certain hp threshold is also in my opinion unnecessary, doubly so given the HP. I know you chase him into the upper corner. But is that really an interesting/challenging/engaging mechanic or is it a cheesy workaround. Still given all this it is a class-dependent fight in that you need to kill his adds to do this in a 'reasonable' amount of time.

Biggest issue: Purify projectile is too slow.

Valthek:
My only issues with this fight are that certain class passives provide an advantage to the fight.

Biggest issue: Arcane Blast projectile is too slow.

I'm sure some would say that the speed of projectile, or even the fact that its a projectile is part of what makes them 'skillful' fights. This would be true if the projectile could travel where you aimed it, but in this game it cannot. Currently the biggest challenge in these fights comes from the imprecise nature of projectiles in the game and not the strategy or mechanics of the boss itself.

As far as fixes or changes I think that increasing the speed of the Arcane Blast Projectile and Purify Projectile would be a good start. From here balance could be tweaked with their HP alone, this is not a total solution to the problem most people have but I think it would make things feel a lot better. It's frustrating when you understand the mechanics of an encounter but have to fumble around limitations of the game engine.

It feels like artificial challenge in the same way that dealing with lag or desync would feel like a 'challenge'.
IVIike
Pit Knight
104 | 5
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
its because when marco see's that people are having fun with something he nerfs it to crap.
Dardrol
Skeleton
2 | 0
I think Purify gives the game a nice "challenge". Sadly it's not a fun one. If the skill was better optimized for the battles, it could maybe be more fun.
First time I ran Duncraig, I killed every single monster during the course of 2 hours. No Ring of the Five. So dissapointed to not be able to take down the boss :( Always hated Purify ever since.
Ibra1
Abomination
151 | 0
IVIike wrote:its because when marco see's that people are having fun with something he nerfs it to crap.

+100

I love and hate character build writeups. Love because it helps to get on the right track when trying out something new. Hate because it won't be around long, as it's a road-map for dev's next nerfing binge.
JustinSymbio
Cultist
23 | 1
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Well said, EvilOnion
lastxresort
Prowler
18 | 1
After trying Uldyssian it is clear this game is for masochists.

I don't know about you guys but i didn't enjoy having to hit a boss what seems like a a 100 times on a skill with a 5sec cd and the boss can dodge the slow moving projectile.

I don't mind purify on Duncraig to much but this was just dumb tedium.
Dboski
Fallen
1 | 0
Its called uber for a reason
lastxresort
Prowler
18 | 1
Dboski wrote:Its called uber for a reason

Okay all the rest except Sam and Laz etc need to have their name changed then.
demonshalo
Monkey King
274 | 2
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
lastxresort wrote:
Dboski wrote:Its called uber for a reason

Okay all the rest except Sam and Laz etc need to have their name changed then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_burn_centers_in_the_United_States