Windform Barb: Theory

Discuss Median XL!
tranvanhieu
Grubber
310 | 2
In MedianXL, Windform was never a main skill for barb (due to median's monster density, a skill need to multi-hit a lot or have big aoe or both to become a main skill). Windform aoe is very poor, doesn't multi hit a lot, it didn't proc anything.

But with Sigma, now Windform finally proc, everything, on hit, on striking and on kill!

So, my theory is to create a Windform barb, which a lot of "on melee hit" proc to deal damage to large aoe.

For "on melee hit" proc to happen, you need to hit monster with weapon swing, and there is a limit to attack speed that other build can't exceed.
But a Windform can hit one monster 2-6 times (depend on weapon attack speed - only attack speed of the equipped sword, no other speeds matter), so if you hit like 6 monsters with 1 windform, that's 20+ hit with just one click, and he gonna proc a lot if you constantly windforming.

I can think of 2 ways to make this build works: Poison proc and/or Weapon damage proc

What do you think? Can a build like that work in Ubers?
Pub
Core Lord
397 | 42
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Yes and no. It will work in farming ubers but be dogshit awful in a fight like Astrogha.
Another
Dark Huntress
12 | 2
I am playing a windform barb atm. Just hit 120 and while I haven't struggled that much, I must say that the skill is quite under-whelming both in terms of aoe and dps. I have played with snake stance up until now but at this point it's potential seem to have fallen off (I feel that's the case for most builds using poison - thoughts?), so I will be trying out wolf stance next. I'm using fortress as a secondary skill and stormblast for single target dps. Otherwise it's standard barb - wolves, spirit guide, deadulus, rune master. One thing i can't decide on is how many points to put into windform. I will have to take some time to farm some proper gear as I've been rushing so far and as a result have terrible gear.'

PS: Tried the build around a year ago and it was quite a dissapointment, however, with the addition of procs it is definetly stronger and I am looking forward to trying the >120 ubers with it.
tranvanhieu
Grubber
310 | 2
Another wrote:I am playing a windform barb atm. Just hit 120 and while I haven't struggled that much, I must say that the skill is quite under-whelming both in terms of aoe and dps. I have played with snake stance up until now but at this point it's potential seem to have fallen off (I feel that's the case for most builds using poison - thoughts?), so I will be trying out wolf stance next. I'm using fortress as a secondary skill and stormblast for single target dps. Otherwise it's standard barb - wolves, spirit guide, deadulus, rune master. One thing i can't decide on is how many points to put into windform. I will have to take some time to farm some proper gear as I've been rushing so far and as a result have terrible gear.

The skill itself is not that great: can't multi-hit bosses, can't aoe damage pack, so, use it as a main damage dealer is very bad.

My idea is to use its unique feature that "hit" a lot (maximum ~36 hits per click if you hit 6 monsters with max speed sword) to proc a hell lot of "on melee hit". These "hits" are considered actual weapon swing, so they will proc any "on melee hit proc", and I am sure there would be many great gears for this purpose.
While windforming, you are immune to stun, knockback, force wall, interruption for being hit... so you can just dance around and proc things like crazy.

Also, while windforming, every weapon damage proc will inherit your Poison damage and Life on striking from the skill.
Heathen
Sucks at guitar!
803 | 61
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Wouldn't Warmonger AoE Attack apply to Windform? If so, it would essentially turn it into pre-LOD whirlwind (but even better), and whirling into mobs would actually hit everything.
tranvanhieu
Grubber
310 | 2
Heathen wrote:Wouldn't Warmonger AoE Attack apply to Windform? If so, it would essentially turn it into pre-LOD whirlwind (but even better), and whirling into mobs would actually hit everything.

Would be pretty strong if the AOE work on Windform, have you tested?
Heathen
Sucks at guitar!
803 | 61
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Nope, I haven't really played to any significant degree this patch. The slow progression and horribly unbalanced skills relative to eachother ruin this mod for me. But considering Windform can proc "On Melee Hit", there's no real reason it wouldn't work.

Unless the AoE is applied before or during the attack, in which case it wouldn't work.
Tardware
Jungle Hunter
26 | 1
Windform needs its "movement" speed reduced and classic diablo 2 whirlwind treatment... you know how it worked before LoD? Literally the most overpowered skill in the whole game. For Median however it sounds fine, considering that crushing blow is more or less useless.

For those that don't know vanilla Whirlwind, it had a set amount of hits per frame and you just put the slowest weapon with highest damage. It was disgustingly overpowered considering how bad/weak items were before LoD 1.10. If you think Smiter can kill bosses fast, if whirlwind wasn't nerfed pre-LoD, it would been a pretty interesting sight.

Path of diablo managed to make it like it used to be (then nerfed it 3 million times) so i guess Median can too. Please??? :bounce: