Discuss Median XL!
Arionic
Abomination
147 | 1
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Hey guys. I'm not a min/max person by far, and I can only play for an hour or so a day max. I do like to make fun builds, but every build I try seems to be lacking something.

I've come here for some knowledge and advice. I haven't been able to make sense out of the Spell damage calculation post as well as I would like.

These questions mainly revolve around Spell damage and how/what attacks it affects. Strength and Energy Factor and some build ideas.

Energy factor gets calculated as like a secondary spell damage stat, that then works with spell damage to increase the total damage of a skill/attack... Right? I've read the guide and tried to make sense of it but eh... Strength Factor is the same as EF except for strength.

A Paladins Vessels are a spell, while a weapon swing or basic bow shot is an attack I assume. BUT, what are spells that boost or use weapon damage? Would spell damage affect them? Examples below.

The
Hammer of Jholm
Hammer of Jholm
Great Maul (Sacred)

Two-Hand Damage: 76 to 89
Required Level: 100
Required Strength:
Item Level: 120
Strength Damage Bonus: (0.16 per Strength)%
While Using Windform:
Adds 3 - 5 Fire Damage per 20 Attributes
Adds 3 - 5 Lightning Damage per 20 Attributes
+200% to Fire and Lightning Spell Damage
-1% to Enemy Fire and Lightning Resists per 60 Attributes
15% Chance to cast level 60 Nova on Melee Attack
15% Chance to cast level 63 Apocalypse on Melee Attack
120% Attack Speed
+50% Damage to Undead
+20 to Windform
Requirements +100%
Socketed (6)
adds lightning and fire damage per stat point to your attacks. The hammer also adds 200% spell damage, all while using Whirlwind. Obviously, the "attack" damage added by the hammer is affected by the "Spell" damage increase. Would the str factor items boost the elemental damage too, given that I would have a ton of strength? Can I assume this boost would affect procs and ctc spells like the procs on the hammer? #confusedaf

1. Lahma Gloves, Blask Masquarade, Veil of the tainted Sun, Nor Tiraj belt. Those strength factor items basically add up to convert strength into spell damage, correct? Would they benefit a neutraldin? Would it STACK with energy factor or are they calculated together?

If yes, it would seem that this spell damage boost ALSO affects the magical and physical damage from Vessels as well as the elemental damage added to the hammer. See how this can get confusing?

2. I've tried some funky builds, but my characters are all below 120 so I feel some viable builds are in my hands, but I don't have the stats and charms to make them work.
[list]115 Barb with Shiverhood dual wielding Frostneedls for level 90 Winter Avatar - works, but could be better with more knowledge, respecced to deathgaze because I had the cold gear. I'm thinking deathgaze would work with Cold dmg gear and pierce since it's a cold spell. Everyone says go with a huge phys 2 hander... Cold damage DOES work but why would a huge physical damage weapon be better?

Same for a Fire bow druid with
Hellreach
Hellreach
Long War Bow (Sacred)

Two-Hand Damage: (232 - 260) to (255 - 287)
Required Dexterity: 650
Item Level: 105
Dexterity Damage Bonus: (0.13 per Dexterity)%
Adds 140% of Your Fire Spell Damage as Bonus Weapon Physical Damage
Adds 140% of Your Physical/Magic Spell Damage as Bonus Weapon Physical Damage
2% Chance to cast level 50 Flamefront on Striking
2% Chance to cast level 50 Drakemaw on Striking
+50 Damage
+(160 to 200)% Enhanced Damage
+(250 to 500) to Life
Maximum Fire Resist +4%
Cannot Be Frozen
Socketed (6)
and Nova/homing nova shot, stacking fire damage - it works well, but i'm not sure how to optimize the gear. Should I add fire damage or %fire spell damage gear since the bow converts it...? https://tsw.vn.cz/acc/char.php?name=Arionic

Holy Tornado pally... Since demiurge gives such gg stats, if I use demiurge with Fire% gear, stat%, SF and defense gear then equip the Hammer of Jholm, would this win? 2-4k to ALL stats coupled with That hammer, Spell damage gear, Superbeast OR DragonKnight seems like it would be strong AF. I tried this on a barb with 500-1.4k per stat and the whirlwind damage was about 20k, enough to flatten cows. Pally damage seems like it should be much higher, especially with the pierce from equinox. If that STr Factor gear affects Vessel, might as well go nuetral and WW with Vessels spamming everything for an added kick. I'm guessing flat spell damage gear would boost both WW and Vessel damage.

Light sorc - tried this, it worked well. Got boring.
Lightning druid - tried this. It worked BETTER than my light sorc, but was so similar that I respecced.
Bow zon - eh

I feel like im in elementary school when it comes to understanding the stat fundamentals of the game though. Will any of these work?

My highest character is 120. Right now my melee sorc destroyed k3k, but I stepped into Teganze and Dunc and died in one hit. Not sure what I needed to change, aside from tankiness. 200k armor didn't do much for me so I have to invest in phys resist. Sigs would help on all of my characters. Not enough time to farm though.
https://tsw.vn.cz/acc/char.php?name=LevelUp

Eh, thanks for any advice guys.
SalParadise
Fallen
1 | 0
Spell damage does not affect flat elemental damage to weapons. So generally speaking, for Hammer, you either want to focus on stat stacking (to minimize enemy resists and increase flat damage), or you want to focus on the vessels and there are far better uniques/sets to buff the vessel playstyle.

Also, I don't know if you've equipped it yet, but Whirlwind has a 300 mana cost. It's absurdly high. With the low physical damage it becomes very difficult to sustain mana, and if you aren't whirlwinding, you will do virtually no damage (since you don't get the flat damage or the elemental pierce bonuses).

Demiurge, for reference, has a very low duration (1/3rd uptime if you're not neutral), so I wouldn't build around it. If you go neutral, you do get 100% uptime, but you lose a lot of the nice benefits for melee (Tainted blood, Superbeast, Dragonheart, etc.).

I would try something solid that doesn't require specific SU/SSU items to get going. A summoner barb or an xbow necro work well. A neutraldin can as well if that's your cup of tea but you'll struggle later without good items (whereas a summoner barb or xbow necro can live on runewords, tiered uniques, and crafts to farm).
krex87
Cog
205 | 9
Common Popularity Badge
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Arionic wrote:Lightning druid - tried this. It worked BETTER than my light sorc, but was so similar that I respecced.

what's a lightning druid?
Arionic
Abomination
147 | 1
Common Popularity Badge
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
krex87 wrote:
Arionic wrote:Lightning druid - tried this. It worked BETTER than my light sorc, but was so similar that I respecced.

what's a lightning druid?

A druid who would use a combination of Forest Defender helm, Aerin Nexus stave and Nor Torah belt in order to reach level 75+ stormfront.

Another option is eye of the storm bow that gives 50+ to mind flay.

That with lightning gear.

Forest Defender
Forest Defender
Antlers (Sacred)

Defense: (2277 - 2562) to (2474 - 2783)
(Druid Only)
Required Strength: 500
Spiritual Alignment Adds 5% Lightning Spell Damage per Base Level
Spiritual Alignment No Longer Adds Fire/Cold Spell Damage
+2 to Druid Skill Levels
20% Cast Speed
20% Movement Speed
-(20 to 25)% to Enemy Lightning Resistance
+(15 to 20) to Stormclash
+(140 to 170)% Enhanced Defense
Maximum Lightning Resist +1%
(35 to 50)% Bonus to Defense
Socketed (4)
Aerin Nexus
Aerin Nexus
Gnarled Staff (Sacred)

Two-Hand Damage: 59 to 62
Required Dexterity: 218
Dexterity Damage Bonus: (0.15 per Dexterity)%
+(6 to 8) to All Skills
+(25 to 40)% Bonus to Spell Focus
+50% Damage to Undead
+225 Life Regenerated per Second
Physical Resist (5 to 10)%
5% Reanimate as: Random Monster
Socketed (4)
Nor Tiraj's Wisdom
Nor Tiraj's Wisdom
Heavy Belt (Sacred)

Defense: (2805 - 3315) to (3029 - 3580)
Required Strength:
687 to 937
+100 Spell Focus
+(15 to 20) to Lightning Shield
+(120 to 160)% Enhanced Defense
Maximum Mana +10%
(10 to 50)% Bonus to Defense
+2% to Experience Gained
Requirements +(10 to 50)%
Socketed (2)

And the bow seems to be unlisted, but I have a screenshot of mine for trade.

Heathen
Sucks at guitar!
803 | 61
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
If you've come to this mod expecting any form of theorycrafting to be worthwhile, I have some bad news for you.

Skill balance is horrible, and any way to make niche builds is behind either soul killing grind or RNG paywall (feel free to dispute this, but not everyone is naive enough to fall for the "generosity" of "alleviating the grind/ wall by purchasing TG")

This mod is and will pretty much always be meta.