Am I the only one that doesn't find the uber bosses fun?

Discuss Median XL!
Arionic
Abomination
147 | 1
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Aside from mechanics, learning how to build your character in this mod is a HUGE factor. I've play d2 for over a decade and thought I knew some of the mechanics and min/max number crunching stuff, but I was wrong. Even after reading guides, there are still things that I cant grasp.

I ended up downloading some save files for SP and running a drop mod just to gear out a character and learn how to build them with the correct spells, gear, MO's and gear.

My first character was a lightning sorc. No guides, decent gear, but the damage wasn't that great after I escaped k3k. After playing 3-4 other characters and eventually following the neutral guide, I learned how to layer ef/SF/ spell damage and boost mitigation. I have since re-made my lightning sorc on single player with similar gear, but a better understanding of mechanics, and most of the ubers and zones have been a cakewalk with thunderstone and tempest.
Marco
Team Member
1952 | 1347
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Multiplayer Badge
Has won a multiplayer contest
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Hmm interestingly enough this was posted by a guy that left discord after failing valthek, I was late to tell him there's a bug with auras applying after death and that he needs to press W twice to re-obtain the set bonuses (otherwise, the purify will show but won't actually exist).

Regarding purify content - I can see the frustration here and I definetly agree some of the endgame quests need to be reviewed. Especially having the 130-bracket be purify exclusive is annoying to me. To understand why this mechanic has such a vast presence in the endgame is due to the times these were introduced. 6+ years ago the mod balance was in a much different state, especially when it came to itemization & stat min-maxing. With enough spell damage and pierce stacking, you could one-shot any boss as soon as it dropped any kind of shield. We had no way to work around the monster hp cap (1 mill) - at most we could make use of things like 95%+ avoid, but that came with many issues, namely being impossible for melee chars, and awful battle feedback.

In median 2017 two major things have happened so we don't have this balance paradigm anymore. First, all numbers (hp/damage) were toned down massively, and we implemented a new global damage reduction stat, which we can use to make monsters with virtually infinite hp. This allowed the creation of samael, which also is a living proof of what happens when you don't have a purify mechanic and a couple of bugs/oversights led to things like 15s kills. Ultimately that was the benefit of purify, to provide 'safe' endgame content that only few people would be able to access (from skill, grind, or both). Such content was always needed no matter what to keep the economy active and interesting.

So it's important when checking the docs and seeing "why are all 130 quests purify", that we haven't created purify content for over 5 years now. Someone new might get the impression we are in love with this mechanic, but there are multiple reasons why its still there. Namely that we invested a lot of work to improve the more accessible 105-125 quests recently. We will get rid of purify eventually on places where it's only a boring gimmicky, and certainly won't be introducing more purify bosses down the line.

deseo wrote:maybe its cus im new but i don't see how someone can cheat on a game that 1 shots you on almost every boss .the funny thing is the lock outs are on bosses that are trash but not hard ones witch is why im asking. maybe on multiplayer but i see the lock outs serve no purpose on single player.

To respond to your first question of why this mechanic exists, I'm surprised it needs any explanation, but it's to either force deathless quests or give them a time limit. Your second post makes even less sense. You're asking why do the weaker bosses have a lockout and the stronger ones don't (assuming on same bracket). Well duh? Why would you have the stronger boss in a bracket be the one having the lockout?

If by harder you meant the highest brackets, then that's just a false statement, because samael/laz have it. The quests that don't have a lockout mechanic are usually quests that have some other filtering mechanism, such as boss healing or overpopulation. Ideally, no dungeon should be doable by just spamming deaths.

Regarding lockout not serving a purpose on SP. Are we even talking about the same game now? :scratch:
Primarch
Djinn
539 | 29
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Marco wrote:Hmm interestingly enough this was posted by a guy that left discord after failing valthek, I was late to tell him there's a bug with auras applying after death and that he needs to press W twice to re-obtain the set bonuses (otherwise, the purify will show but won't actually exist).

Regarding purify content - I can see the frustration here and I definetly agree some of the endgame quests need to be reviewed. Especially having the 130-bracket be purify exclusive is annoying to me. To understand why this mechanic has such a vast presence in the endgame is due to the times these were introduced. 6+ years ago the mod balance was in a much different state, especially when it came to itemization & stat min-maxing. With enough spell damage and pierce stacking, you could one-shot any boss as soon as it dropped any kind of shield. We had no way to work around the monster hp cap (1 mill) - at most we could make use of things like 95%+ avoid, but that came with many issues, namely being impossible for melee chars, and awful battle feedback.

In median 2017 two major things have happened so we don't have this balance paradigm anymore. First, all numbers (hp/damage) were toned down massively, and we implemented a new global damage reduction stat, which we can use to make monsters with virtually infinite hp. This allowed the creation of samael, which also is a living proof of what happens when you don't have a purify mechanic and a couple of bugs/oversights led to things like 15s kills. Ultimately that was the benefit of purify, to provide 'safe' endgame content that only few people would be able to access (from skill, grind, or both). Such content was always needed no matter what to keep the economy active and interesting.

So it's important when checking the docs and seeing "why are all 130 quests purify", that we haven't created purify content for over 5 years now. Someone new might get the impression we are in love with this mechanic, but there are multiple reasons why its still there. Namely that we invested a lot of work to improve the more accessible 105-125 quests recently. We will get rid of purify eventually on places where it's only a boring gimmicky, and certainly won't be introducing more purify bosses down the line.

deseo wrote:maybe its cus im new but i don't see how someone can cheat on a game that 1 shots you on almost every boss .the funny thing is the lock outs are on bosses that are trash but not hard ones witch is why im asking. maybe on multiplayer but i see the lock outs serve no purpose on single player.

To respond to your first question of why this mechanic exists, I'm surprised it needs any explanation, but it's to either force deathless quests or give them a time limit. Your second post makes even less sense. You're asking why do the weaker bosses have a lockout and the stronger ones don't (assuming on same bracket). Well duh? Why would you have the stronger boss in a bracket be the one having the lockout?

If by harder you meant the highest brackets, then that's just a false statement, because samael/laz have it. The quests that don't have a lockout mechanic are usually quests that have some other filtering mechanism, such as boss healing or overpopulation. Ideally, no dungeon should be doable by just spamming deaths.

Regarding lockout not serving a purpose on SP. Are we even talking about the same game now? :scratch:

TheMoreYouKnow.jpg