Necro Summons Look Gross

Threads that no longer serve a purpose. Read-only.
thl
Prowler
18 | 1
+1 Necro summons dont look necromancer'y at all, no matter what the Median canon is. I really missed necromancer as I was playing my D3 witch doctor (why did they replace him, i dont like throwing frogs at my enemies). Decided that I want to go necro in MXL, googled a couple of videos and went "NOPENOPNOPE im not playing this". :(
GregMXL
Team Member
10590 | 180
Legendary Posting Badge
Posted over 10.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Great Special Badge
Legend.
Keep on throwing them frogs then. :|
I don't mean to dwell...but I can't help myself.
thl
Prowler
18 | 1
GregMXL wrote:Keep on throwing them frogs then. :|

Nah im playing paladin :D
Daimoth
Stone Warrior
34 | 4
Ethereal wrote:Go here: http://d2mods.info/resources/infinitum/ ... ms-ac.html and look for some ideas for replacement models. NPC models are far and few when it comes to great ones.

I occasionally make somewhat convincing D2 assets (see here), and I've longed to make full animated D2 sprites but axonometric projection (which is what you see in Diablo games, not isometric projection) is seemingly impossible in Blender. The palette restrictions on D2 sprites will probably be problematic as well.

Speaking of which, does anyone know how many directions D2 sprites can face?
Edited by Daimoth 8 years.
Heathen
Sucks at guitar!
803 | 61
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
thl wrote:Nah im playing paladin :D

Crusader*
Ethereal
Acid Prince
48 | 4
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Daimoth wrote:
Ethereal wrote:Go here: http://d2mods.info/resources/infinitum/ ... ms-ac.html and look for some ideas for replacement models. NPC models are far and few when it comes to great ones.

I occasionally make somewhat convincing D2 assets (see here), and I've longed to make full animated D2 sprites but axonometric projection (which is what you see in Diablo games, not isometric projection) is seemingly impossible in Blender. The palette restrictions on D2 sprites will probably be problematic as well.

Speaking of which, does anyone know how many directions D2 sprites can face?

I would like to say 128, but that seems far too high. It's probably somewhere in the 2^x rate. Maybe 16?
Monkey King
264 | 20
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Contest Badge
Has won a forum contest
UncleGrimjerk
Monkey King
268 | 31
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Another thing to remember is that models with a minimal number of moving parts--essential to having lots of summons with no resulting lag--are only going to look so good. Its a trade off.
Borgin
Stygian Watcher
42 | 3
UncleGrimjerk wrote:Another thing to remember is that models with a minimal number of moving parts--essential to having lots of summons with no resulting lag--are only going to look so good. Its a trade off.

Exactly this.

If anybody is able to find a model that doesn't consist of a huge number of parts (iirc vanilla D2 skeleton summons have 8 individual "pieces" each) that still looks reasonable, by all means, let Marco know. The models are explicitly chosen to reduce lag/stuttering when you have 100+ minions at once.

imo, it's hardly a trade-off, it's a bug fix. There's no reason whatsoever to use models that have that many pieces, but Blizzard gonna blizz, so that's why.