Zeal/whrlwind

Discuss Median XL!
Hulemaahn
Fallen
1 | 0
Hey im fairly New to mxl and would like to try some kind of proc build, so i Washington wondering if there is skill similar to Zeal or whirlwind from d2, that allows me to abuse on stricking proc, prefer if it allowed the ude of a Sword.
Scalewinged
Cow Ninja
1290 | 61
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
There's Windform (same as whirlwind) skill on barbarian that requires sword to use and Ravage oskill (almost same as Zeal) on druid
Aegipan
runeword that require sword, mace, axe or dagger to use. And both are not even close as viable in MXL as they were in cLoD.
villur
Rust Claw
86 | 4
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
For a sword proc build I would suggest sword barb, its solid overall and there are some good proc items. It has a set called mount arreat too that has some decent procs. Otherwise the most proc heavy builds are bowzon, javazon and maybe bow druid in my experience.
Arionic
Abomination
147 | 1
Common Popularity Badge
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
There is also the Hammer of Jholm maul that gives the actual Whirlwind skill.

I've tried it on about 14 different builds/characters though. It sucks.
Crash
Madawc
6799 | 327
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Arionic wrote:There is also the Hammer of Jholm maul that gives the actual Whirlwind skill.

Pierce wasn’t working properly on the special stats last season, I assume that’s still the big issue
Primarch
Djinn
539 | 29
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Donated 25 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Some skills just don't jive with MXL's dynamic design. You want hard-hitting one-hit spells that you can use between kiting/dodging mechanics, not a skill that locks you in place for 2-3 seconds while your character goes full-retard.
Arionic
Abomination
147 | 1
Common Popularity Badge
Donated 25 times
Crash wrote:
Arionic wrote:There is also the Hammer of Jholm maul that gives the actual Whirlwind skill.

Pierce wasn’t working properly on the special stats last season, I assume that’s still the big issue

Yeah, you could still get enough pierce to justify using it, but the REAL issue was your hit chance. I'm pretty sure that from d2 1.1 and onward they made it so that Whirlwind hits a set number of times. It use to hit more with a slower weapon. Even using a helm like warmonger with the aoe hit, you don't do enough damage with the weapon itself to kill packs very easily. The procs can decimate packs, but the proc chance, even at 25%, is still low since you don't hit very many times with each WW. This is coming from a fully decked out barb with nearly 19k in stats rocking a 60k WW with 99% chance to hit. It just didn't hit well enough to justify using the maul and other gear over a much faster spec.
Arionic
Abomination
147 | 1
Common Popularity Badge
Donated 25 times
Scalewinged wrote:There's Windform (same as whirlwind) skill on barbarian that requires sword to use and Ravage oskill (almost same as Zeal) on druid
Aegipan
runeword that require sword, mace, axe or dagger to use. And both are not even close as viable in MXL as they were in cLoD.

The ravage and fury skills being used while in tree warden form with a Gotterdamerung axe... those AOE rapid hits are pretty nice.
Crash
Madawc
6799 | 327
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Im under the impression you were exaggerating when you said 99% chance to hit.
RealPandemonium
Cultist
21 | 0
https://www.theamazonbasin.com/wiki/index.php/Whirlwind
This page helps to explain some of the more esoteric mechanics of WW. Apparently WW can also proc in sigma, unlike clod. I was thinking of making a classic "baba" using Windform as a direct damage tool by dual-wielding two-handed swords; maybe I'll get around to it eventually and post my results here.