Djinn
541 | 38
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
I've thought of a potential solution to mend this age old ...bug? Game logic issue? Feature? Whatever it is I have a few solutions that may be rid of it... mostly.

Anyways an introduction to what I'm talking about:

When you add a rune, or any other gem type item, it adds the cost modifier of said item to the throwing weapon multiplied by the quantity of the throwing weapon used. Say you use rune X, which adds 100 gold to the item sell cost, and Y javelin, which has 100 javelins, it would factor the cost 100 x 100, making it sell for 10k gold, or the current act's gold cap. This allows for mass amounts of gold profit immediately at the start of the game, and is currently the only reliable way to make gold for honorifics and MOs in speedruns, apart from getting very lucky on apples. As soon as you start getting Ral runes and higher, many of the runed weapons will hit the gold cap on all acts in Hatred.

Now onto the solutions

Reduce the stack size of throwables significantly, to say like 10 for example. Give or take of course, I'm just throwing a number out. None of the throwing spells use any ammo, so it wouldn't affect gameplay at all apart from level 1 in blood moor. You would still sell items for a bit more gold selling runed throwing weapons, but probably not at the ridiculous levels that it is currently in.

Reduce the factor on how much gold rune and other socketables sell for significantly. This would affect the main game a lot more, as they do sell for a pair price if you have no need for them end game, but at that point selling any sacred rare hits the gold cap usually.

What do you guys think?
Monkey King
264 | 20
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Contest Badge
Has won a forum contest
I might be dumb, but do throwing weapons even have quantity anymore? I can't see the number on any throwable.
E: I am dumb. You need to equip the item to see quantity.
Have you actually tested the formula or is this a guess?

I like the 2nd solution more just because it feels like it would require less work. (just a guess I know nothing bout modding)
Segolia
Djinn
541 | 38
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Both would require literally changing just one number around for each individual item.
Somnus
Joyboy
1336 | 126
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Great Showcase Badge
Bored at work? Come watch my stream!
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
I believe, from my point of view/experience, that That would destroy the mechanics of the early game. Let me explain this:

If you nerf the rune + throw item gold income, you'll have to depend on other stuff like picking all garbage and stuff, making it really slow to progress through hatred mode. So newbie people *even some old players* might get really bored before going for the actual game. Saying this, I believe its not good doing this because you'll just make it more harder for lazy/noob people and in consequence we'll have less players playing this game. I believe we need as much players as we can with a good equilibrium (%) in both sides. Hope I explained it good so you can understand what I try to say. Anyway, this is just my opinion using my point of view/experience, nothing more <3

Somnus.
Metalistas
Onyx Knight
601 | 79
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Cave snappers are hard to kill ? :facepalm:
Food
Core Lord
360 | 32
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
You could just change avery rune to sell for 1 gold. I'm not a fan of reducing stack size on throwing weapons because while skills don't use ammo, sometimes you may use normal attack because you're distracted or something, or you misclick, or you have no mana and use ammo, etc etc.

Making every rune sell for 1 gold would solve this, but do we want it? As others have said, by mid terror you can just pick a random drop (rares) and usually sell it for a lot of cash. What's the difference between that and picking a random drop (runes) and sell them for a lot of cash?

It would just make making cash in the very very early game (act 1, maybe act 2 hatred) more annoying, doesn't really accomplish much more than that.
Gekko64
Shadowgate Totem
1728 | 102
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
no need to fix what's working as intended
hellgrind
Mangler
458 | 21
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
One question, why do you even need gold in hartred ? o_O seriously, i never had any problems with gold and idk why do you even argue to "nerf" this "method" of getting gold. Also like Metalistas said, cave snappers are another way to get gold + u get exp from them.
Jammy
Mangler
480 | 126
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
hellgrind wrote:One question, why do you even need gold in hartred ? o_O seriously, i never had any problems with gold and idk why do you even argue to "nerf" this "method" of getting gold. Also like Metalistas said, cave snappers are another way to get gold + u get exp from them.

Some people like to still walk the game (like me). Gold comes in handy for gambling gear and for making honorifics... among other uses like buying oils of renewal for rerolling a decent ring/amulet.
Monkey King
264 | 20
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Contest Badge
Has won a forum contest
hellgrind wrote:One question, why do you even need gold in hartred ?

Like OP said, it's mostly about speedrunning. You want to get enough gold to make honorifics fast.
There's no real impact on normal gameplay (maybe takes away a bit of tedious farming early game).
Fixing that would remove a harmless exploit. Not a priority, but an exploit is still an exploit.