541 | 38
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Metalistas wrote:Cave snappers are hard to kill ? :facepalm:

Why farm them when you can just use whatever spare rune you have to fill up your stash with riches in just a few clicks?
Metalistas
Onyx Knight
601 | 79
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Can't kill snapper in few clicks ? Nerf pls.
Monkey King
264 | 20
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Contest Badge
Has won a forum contest
Going to underground passage? Ain't nobody got time for that.
GregMXL
Team Member
10590 | 180
Legendary Posting Badge
Posted over 10.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Great Special Badge
Legend.
Apples aren't exactly rare either. I don't want the regular game touched unless the change makes it more fun.
I don't mean to dwell...but I can't help myself.
Borgin
Stygian Watcher
42 | 3
@Segolia: I used to feel this way about the throwing weapon + rune thing, but it really has become a "feature" at this point. It is what it is. I posted the same thing on the old forums at some point, ages ago, and a solution just isn't worth it, plus it detracts from the gameplay for some players. It's a "quality of life" thing now, eliminating some of the tedium of early-game and helping speed up the agonizingly slow feel of the first couple acts.
Marco
Team Member
1952 | 1347
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Multiplayer Badge
Has won a multiplayer contest
Median XL Team Member
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Borgin wrote:@Segolia: I used to feel this way about the throwing weapon + rune thing, but it really has become a "feature" at this point. It is what it is. I posted the same thing on the old forums at some point, ages ago, and a solution just isn't worth it, plus it detracts from the gameplay for some players. It's a "quality of life" thing now, eliminating some of the tedium of early-game and helping speed up the agonizingly slow feel of the first couple acts.

The problem is when people that are new to the mod think this is the way the mod is meant to be played. It's not an intuitive mechanism, so you're giving this "feature" to the people that need it the less, only to speed up a part of the game that is easy enough. I don't see how the feature enhances the gameplay at all. It promotes people buying orbs like flat damage reduced (orb which shouldn't exist at all because it makes no sense) which make the early game absurd... and the "feature" altogether is a pretty sad habit to have. From a design point of view, mystic orbs were not intended to be used this early.

I guess the problem began when mystic orb's cost was greatly reduced. I think the (partial) solution could be increasing their cost. This would discourage players from going full easy-mode with %all res honorifics mid act 2 (or even sooner). This would be another way to shorten the difficulty gap between new and old players as well, which as we know, is always a desirable thing.
Somnus
Joyboy
1336 | 126
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Great Showcase Badge
Bored at work? Come watch my stream!
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Marco wrote:
Borgin wrote:@Segolia: I used to feel this way about the throwing weapon + rune thing, but it really has become a "feature" at this point. It is what it is. I posted the same thing on the old forums at some point, ages ago, and a solution just isn't worth it, plus it detracts from the gameplay for some players. It's a "quality of life" thing now, eliminating some of the tedium of early-game and helping speed up the agonizingly slow feel of the first couple acts.

The problem is when people that are new to the mod think this is the way the mod is meant to be played. It's not an intuitive mechanism, so you're giving this "feature" to the people that need it the less, only to speed up a part of the game that is easy enough. I don't see how the feature enhances the gameplay at all. It promotes people buying orbs like flat damage reduced (orb which shouldn't exist at all because it makes no sense) which make the early game absurd... and the "feature" altogether is a pretty sad habit to have. From a design point of view, mystic orbs were not intended to be used this early.

I guess the problem began when mystic orb's cost was greatly reduced. I think the (partial) solution could be increasing their cost. This would discourage players from going full easy-mode with %all res honorifics mid act 2 (or even sooner). This would be another way to shorten the difficulty gap between new and old players as well, which as we know, is always a desirable thing.

Another solution could be tier orbs. Hatred = tier 1, terror tier 2 etc. So as the game progress so do the orbs, this way you can balance the early so people dont go full easy mode and new players dont get discourage. Another one could be orbs scaling with character level.
Food
Core Lord
360 | 32
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Frankly, since when I started playing median some years ago (I've never been as active as I am now by the way) max res for act 2 sewers is pretty important. Sure, you can do it without max res, but it wouldn't be wise except in some specific instances like speedrunning.

I mean, it's a mechanic of the game; one of the mechanics of act 2, especially sewers, is that elemental attacks of monsters start getting stronger.

The only rational thing to do is, then, to increase one's resists, and the best way to do that is to MO an honorific. True, you have the character orb, but elemental resist gems won't provide enough resists by act 2, so I do feel orbs were supposed to be used this early, or at the very least resist ones do.

Anyway, as I said if you just want to solve the exploit make every rune sell for 1 gold, since rune's sell cost has no other purpose than to inflate the price of socketed throwing weapons. But again I don't really see the benefit. As others have said it's just, to me, a quality of life thing that removes a little bit of farming early game and stops being important just after you craft your first honorific imho.
Heathen
Sucks at guitar!
803 | 61
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
I rune a throwing weapon and sell it for gold all the time. I actually collect socketed throwing knives from vendors and stash them in case I need gold later. That being said, I absolutely hate cheating in arpgs, you'll never see me dupe/ use items I didn't find.

If someone feels as if that is cheating, just farm Dry Hills for those Grubbers, they'll give you a huge pile of gold in no time. Might be a very tad bit slower than runing an um into a throwable and selling it for 200k, but not significantly.

I've never considered runing a socketed weapon and selling it anything but a quality of life feature. There comes a point when people just don't want to farm up the gold for early game honorifics. If someone considers this exploit a detriment to the game, they have every right to, as it definitely is an exploit. Personally, I don't feel like removing that exploit will make the game any more fun.
suchbalance
Team Member
1757 | 513
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Skill Badge
Experienced Player
Median XL Team Member
Great Mind Badge
A Median XL guru... a true book of knowledge
Here's my view:

- Socketed runes in throwing weapons inflating the sell price to gold cap values makes no sense within the game world, because it only slightly increases the price for other items.

- If you know what to do, capping resists by the start of act 2 is still easily possible without any gold at all - giftbox farming, early game runewords, jewelwords and cubing gems in your char orb.

- Most new players struggle in act 2 not because they don't know of the throwing weapon exploit. They struggle because they don't know that having 0 elemental resistances this early on is a problem. So giving them less gold doesn't close any skill gaps, because it merely takes away a potential solution to a problem they do not realise they are having.

- Fix the throwing rune weapons exploit for the sake of it making no sense, not because it makes the early game too easy. If you want the early game to not be so trivial then you would have to get rid of the giftbox too.