Would you support an anti-hack program?

Discuss Median XL!

If I created a program to detect illegal hacks; would you support it if our playerbase takes a hit?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:44 am

Yes, cheaters deserve what they get
61%
Yes, But perhaps we should give them warnings instead then
32%
No, Our playerbase doesn't need to lose all the players that cheat
3%
No, I won't be able to use my hack without marco catching me =(
3%

Total votes: 31

King
Balrog
121 | 8
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Skill Badge
Experienced Player
Good Evening,

I help create hacks for counter strike and starcraft 2, I don't really care for either game. I make money from sc2 and take my rage out on counter strike. I do really enjoy median though; I was curious if I took the time and effort to make an anti-hack program that could detect hacks like the Q one; and other various hacks that marco could let me know work on realm (if this is approved) to work on disabling them if it would be approved. Most of you know me as an A-hole; but I consider making something like this being me A-hole move against those who aren't actually good; they just use a hack to see monsters on minimap to offscreen bosses to be good. Just curious on whats your take on this.

TL DR, let me know.
gg2
Rust Claw
86 | 16
Ban those fuckers;
A cheating player is an unwelcomed player.
Segolia
Djinn
541 | 38
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Are you able to whitelist d2mr and have anything else out of the ordinary banhammered?

I like the idea, as long as its not d2maniac's BAN ANYONE WHO USES AN OSKILL TOP KEK
Taem
Necrobot
2474 | 151
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
King wrote:Good Evening,

I help create hacks for counter strike and starcraft 2, I don't really care for either game. I make money from sc2 and take my rage out on counter strike. I do really enjoy median though; I was curious if I took the time and effort to make an anti-hack program that could detect hacks like the Q one; and other various hacks that marco could let me know work on realm (if this is approved) to work on disabling them if it would be approved. Most of you know me as an A-hole; but I consider making something like this being me A-hole move against those who aren't actually good; they just use a hack to see monsters on minimap to offscreen bosses to be good. Just curious on whats your take on this.

You specifically mention maphacks but I'm curious how. You will require extensive experience with packet sniffing for one. For two, simplistic map hacks that don't interact with the server are difficult to detect because the map seed is sent client side fyi, although I bet this is something Whist could alter if he had the time or desire. Another thing that is client side unfortunately is attack animations. Unless blatant, detecting client-side only hacks would require you to scan for "known" injectors in the Process using Warden (program used by bnetd to detect cheats through diablo's ports), or use some type of heuristic scanner in the background on each users computer (most likely highly illegal), and smart hackers will just write their hack ala root-kit so the process never shows up at all, then make sure the dll they are injecting to doesn't change size making it undetectable. I don't want to discourage you, but I don't think taking the time to write programs to detect client-side hacks would be very productive, and I'm 100% sure Marco and Co. can already server-side hacks. Anyway, best of luck to you, whatever you try.
Gekko64
Shadowgate Totem
1728 | 102
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
we also need a way to prevent account sharing, since it gives top players an unfair advantage
Jaedong
Detonator
792 | 56
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
gg2 wrote:Ban those fuckers;

amen
btw im still waiting for a mh that i dont have to alt tab out
Wotan
Astral Guardian
1926 | 159
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Jaedong wrote:
gg2 wrote:Ban those fuckers;

amen
btw im still waiting for a mh that i dont have to alt tab out

No such legal mh.
Jaedong
Detonator
792 | 56
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
thats why im still waiting
Metalistas
Onyx Knight
601 | 79
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Anti hack program from a hacker ? Sorry, but i am sceptical alot about it. I would like to see a clean ladder but people tend to do what is in their nature and i just ignore them. Honestly those cool shiny items, achievements don't impress anymore and some posts from "legendary" people already turn my opinion about them. I just remove them from persons i deal with. And just play with people i know, limit my trades to minimum.
Let's hope Marco and crew find a way to keep realms clean.
Somnus
Joyboy
1336 | 126
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Great Showcase Badge
Bored at work? Come watch my stream!
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
As long as D2mr is still functional, I agree.