I have not seen a decent guide showing a step-by-step on how to get these three things to work together, so I created a guide on using Median XL 2017 with PlugY and D2SE.
Median XL 2017 PlugY and D2SE
Start with a fresh install
- Using the download links in this thread https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofdiablo/comments/4b48oz/how_to_download_and_install_version_113/d160fdh/ You will download the DiabloII_113c_Installer.zip.
- Extract the folders Original and Expansion.
- Install the original game using the Installer.exe inside the Original folder onto your C: drive directly. It is easier to find this way and you don't have to deal with permissions.
- Next install the expansion using the Installer.exe inside the Expansion folder.
Download and run the 1.13c Upgrade. (this may be unnecessary but I did it anyway)
- Using the download link http://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/diablo2exp/patches/PC/LODPatch_113c.exe Download the Patch file LODPatch_113c.exe and run it.
- In my case i was given Access_Violation (c0000005) THIS IS FINE. Close the dialogue box and run it again and it will verify your version is correct. It should as follows.
Filename: C:\Diablo II\Game.exe
File version: 22.214.171.124
Patch version: 126.96.36.199
- Hit OK
Now to download/install D2SE
- Download the D2SE installer D2SE_V2.2.0.exe from http://d2se.org/d2se/D2SE_V2.2.0.exe and run it.
- Set the install destination to C:\Diablo II if it was not set already.
- Accept the defaults for the next three windows by hitting Next. Then hit Install.
- Hit Finish and close the D2SE Modmanager.
- To save space and pretty up the D2SE Interface, navigate to C:\Diablo II\D2SE\CORES and delete all folders EXCEPT 1.13c.
Next download the Median XL files for D2SE
- Download the Median XL files for D2SE, d2se.zip, from https://get.median-xl.com/d2se.zip.
- Extract the files from d2se.zip and place the D2SE - Median XL folder into the C:\Diablo II\MODS directory.
(The readme will tell you to do this AND also extract the mod files to the same folder)
Next download the Median XL 2017 files
- Download the Median XL 2017 files from https://get.median-xl.com/.
- It will download the file median17-1.1.3.zip.
- Extract the files from median17-1.1.3.zip to C:\Diablo II\MODS\D2SE - Median XL.
Now open D2SE.exe from C:\Diablo II and you can see Median XL
- Select Median XL and within the Display options MAKE SURE DDraw and -w Windowmode ARE selected (or checked).
- In the System features MAKE SURE PlugY is also selected (or checked).
These settings are a must since I was not able to get D3D or Glide to work.
If you have questions about any steps feel free to ask. I will be busy for the next few days so i may not respond quickly.
Hope this helps!