New to the Mod, Been a long time since played D2.

Discuss Median XL!
HumbleSoldat
Destroyer
6 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Hey there, a friend and I are planning on playing Median XL for the first time, we have both only ever played Vanilla 1.13 LOD. So basically i was going to ask where to start!

I don't care about picking an OP character or anything, i'm personally thinking of Necro or Paly. Any starting tips for those two classes would be greatly appreciated!

But aside from running around killing monsters, I really don't want to miss out on anything cool with my buddy, and would like a general idea of what we should do other than following the main story line?

Questions:

Q1: Does the game "start" at a certain Difficulty?
Q2: What pitfalls should we look out for?
Q3: Where can i find more information about all this "uber quest" stuff i keep seeing people mention.
Q4: Should we basically play the game normally (follow the story line and get to the next difficulty) until we are higher level?
Q5: How/When does one farm? Are there particular items i should be looking out for? Are there items i SHOULD craft at a certain level for a certain class?

Q6: Got any questions for me that would help me help you to pass on some good info so we can explore all the awesome content without missing out on any that Median XL has to provide?

Thanks to anyone who can help :)!
Monkey King
264 | 20
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Contest Badge
Has won a forum contest
HumbleSoldat wrote:Hey there, a friend and I are planning on playing Median XL for the first time, we have both only ever played Vanilla 1.13 LOD. So basically i was going to ask where to start!

I don't care about picking an OP character or anything, i'm personally thinking of Necro or Paly. Any starting tips for those two classes would be greatly appreciated!

But aside from running around killing monsters, I really don't want to miss out on anything cool with my buddy, and would like a general idea of what we should do other than following the main story line?

Questions:

Q1: Does the game "start" at a certain Difficulty?
Q2: What pitfalls should we look out for?
Q3: Where can i find more information about all this "uber quest" stuff i keep seeing people mention.
Q4: Should we basically play the game normally (follow the story line and get to the next difficulty) until we are higher level?
Q5: How/When does one farm? Are there particular items i should be looking out for? Are there items i SHOULD craft at a certain level for a certain class?

Q6: Got any questions for me that would help me help you to pass on some good info so we can explore all the awesome content without missing out on any that Median XL has to provide?

Thanks to anyone who can help :)!

This is our bible and it has answers to most of your questions.

1. Difficulty increase is pretty similar to classic LoD, there are a few places which can be harder, but nothing special until end game.
2. Make sure to check out challenges in documentation, because some are level limited so you could potentially miss out on those.
3. bible
4. Yes, you might hit a wall at some point and if you do feel free to come here for help or look at the documenation for options to help you. Also look pt.2.
5. Farming and crafting are usually done at max level, so no need to worry about it right now. What items to use on which class will come with experience.

If you're into reading guides then check those we have here in guide section and old forum.
My tip is to play semi-blindly. Don't strictly follow a guide. Play the game as you want to and check documentation if you have any problems. Post here if confused, someone will always help you.
Segolia
Djinn
541 | 38
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
For pally I always recommend doing Unholy Caster. You are able to switch your specs around it constantly thanks to Dark King... Storm Lord... w/e the hell that passive is called now that gives you all attributes. You can go heavy vitality (a luxury that usually only barbarians and paladins can afford to build around), dexterity for max block, or energy for raw damage. And thanks to 1.13c, you can respec at any time if you need to change things around for a certain challenge. Plus endgame Paladin is one of the best casters that can make certain oskills really strong, either from powerful runewords or crafts. One of the most common ones that people go for later on is Apostacy.

Apostacy
0-5 Jewels +Sha'ad
Sceptres
+3 to Paladin Skill Levels
+30% Enhanced damage
50% Faster Cast Rate
+(41 to 50)% to Lightning Spell Damage
+(41 to 50)% to Physical/Magic Spell Damage
+(24 to 29) to Cataclysm
+(24 to 29) to Frozen Crown
Total Character Defense Plus (21 to 30)%

Cataclysm is basically Nova with Fireballs. It's very powerful, but will obviously need a build touch-up to help the it out, as well as some more mana. It is difficult and tedious to get, but it pays off.

I can't give advice on necromancers because I don't play them that much.
HumbleSoldat
Destroyer
6 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Thanks 01001010 and Segolia for your responses so far :) ya i jumped in and checked out the skill on necro and paly and sounded like that was up my alley. I'm pretty excited to play now!

I got another quick question here, i noticed in the bible looking at some of the set items (Are sets any good? Cause i thought no one cared about them in vanilla D2) they are for one thing only, like a set for crossbow or a set for summoner, Is it a viable thing to be running more than 2 branches of skills?
Segolia
Djinn
541 | 38
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Well for paladin you can/can't run double branches of what you might like. You can be unholy but have a holy influence (the 'neutral' tree), or be pure unholy. And vice versa. For Paladin, its either melee or caster you focus on. But within the respective dedication you can go for lionheart on holy pally on either of the builds for more defense, tainted blood for unholy.

Sets are a lot more useful, and can help you through a portion of the 'midgame' of the endgame, depending on the set, while you try and get stronger gear that you craft, find, or make.
WolfieeifloW
Bone Archer
75 | 14
Great Popularity Badge
Common Guide Badge
There are only four things that have a "you must be below this level":

Just make sure you don't miss these, and the rest is pretty much slay stuff and collect loot :)
HitZ
Cultist
22 | 0
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Sets are definitely more powerful than those in cLoD, some* sets are even considered for "end game" gear for some builds. I wouldn't recommend starting as Necro, necro is one of those classes that requires a lot of skill switching + you will have some trouble doing your charms. I would suggest tho going with Amazon, Druid or Sorceress, all of them are super easy to play and you will have a smooth start and even smoother mid to end-game. If i were you, i would start as either Caster Druid/Traprat or Lightning/Cold Sorceress.
WolfieeifloW
Bone Archer
75 | 14
Great Popularity Badge
Common Guide Badge
Lightning/Cold Sorceress is a solid defensive character.
Barbarian is always a good option too, with their super high survivability.
HitZ
Cultist
22 | 0
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
WolfieeifloW wrote:Lightning/Cold Sorceress is a solid defensive character.

Not only defensive, deals insane damage, huge crowd control and so on. Its really noob friendly, with full elemental set(which is incredible easy to find) and some basic charms you can do almost every single boss in the game. Shes rly strong. @OP take a look in the guide section (Tempestsucks) for details.
WolfieeifloW
Bone Archer
75 | 14
Great Popularity Badge
Common Guide Badge
HitZ wrote:...with full elemental set...
Elemental Children set?