Need help with Melee Barb

Discuss Median XL!
Wulf
Cog
219 | 7
Got a Barb to 120, and he is now on a high mf Stampede spec to farm TA. Now that I've gotten a couple of SU's / set pieces, I'd like to start working on slightly harder charms. Throw barb is horrendous for charm gathering so I'd like a melee setup that allows me to grab stuff like ureh/jitan/cathedral.

I remember Aerials said that a melee barb using fortress (and probably kraken stance I imagine?) is good for doing such a thing. Problem is I have no idea how to build that or where to start. I don't mind crafting using random shrines, but forget about using the good ones like quiet/abandonned/elemental ones.

I have somewhat of an idea on what to do for skills (smax: deadalus/spirit guide/runemaster/1-2 stances for kraken) with Lah runes everywhere, but I have no idea whatsoever on what items to use.
Edited by Wulf 6 months.
Somnus
Sand Maggot
1126 | 57
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Why not te EZ-summbarian for charms? (unless you really need open wounds one AKA fortress)
Wulf
Cog
219 | 7
Somnus wrote:Why not te EZ-summbarian for charms? (unless you really need open wounds one AKA fortress)

Tbh I do not discriminate against builds, I just thought melee barb would be better at ureh/vizjun/zorun tzin/yshari/bremmtown/xazax as well as all the heroics.

for reference, here are the charms I have right now:

Orr
Pit Knight
104 | 2
Get Some EWD , DR , TCD (Smax:immortal /Daedalus if possible ) Half Bear stance at 50% dr half Runemaster u need only 750k def Spirit guide for extra dmg Acient blood
aerial
Heretic
428 | 121
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
You don't really need kraken stance, since bosses are no longer immune to everything. And CB seems to be working vs many of them, so I'd say wolf stance.
Ureh and vizjun (assuming you want charm, because for farming enemies, throw barb is ok) - you want tank. Bear + runemaster, sword for whirlwind, and block. And then whirlwind to boss, you are immortal.
You can use same build to complete bremmtown, just skip all the way to dragon, you can even kill them by stopping in the middle, and using sor, half of them map will die in few seconds, even with moderate damage dealt by your char. It will only be little tricky not to get killed by death spiral, kill dragon with stormblast or ancients hand. You can do all of these 3 uberes with that 1 respec to such build.

Xazax is really fairly easy, his main weapon is slow, so, if you have wolf stance and fast run speed, you can kill it by just running around and spamming fortress. You can hit him in melee with stormblast type of skill to accelerate the kill if you want, but it isnt must. You can park those adds in the corner if there is too many, thanks to your superior movement speed.
Use the same build to kill QT, you don't need any extra resists or items. Just run around spam fortress, try to run around him, pass through the room, so fortress keeps shooting, and you dodge the beam. It doesn't instakill you anymore, so there is even margin for error. 10min and hes dead, no need any special prep for this uebr.

When it comes to tanky heroics, like astrogha or unformed land summon boss, you do it as melee, but you need gear, ideally ancients hand, stack res pierce (which isn't that easy to get). Fire rune weapon is nice (-60 from single sword). Two of these you are at -120 fire just from weapon slots.
Can go with shield too, for block and ~40% deadly strike.
What also helps, is all the old stuff, 50% slow from gear. In addition to that you can use screaming eagle, which causes multiplicative slow effect to weapon slow, both sources applied = massive boss slow. You can either switch for it (few points in skill and nihs for duration), or if you dont like switching, because it can be not triggering randomly, which is really annoying, then runemaster, offhand sword (unlocks ww, which is must in many fights, such as astrogha), and main hand throwing axe, which you will still attack as melee with ancients hand, but at same time allows you to use screaming eagle. In older patch it was possible to throw screaming eagle with throwing axe as offhand (other throwing skills were dealing 0 damage, but screaming eagle debuff worked). Now it doesn't work, you need the throw axe in main hand slot.
Anyways for those heroic bosses, you need better gear, good damage, and res pierce. Earlier you try it, harder it will be. For example astrogha has fairly high hp, so to kill it smoothly you really need decent damage, otherwise it takes a while.

As for classic fortress build, that just runs around with fortress, its good for many really first charms, that you can't get otherwise. Also bosses like qt, xazax. Even stuff like startled witch, you spec as full vit tank, use eagle stance, and then run around, purify it, while spamming fortress (and slow from eagle + your item slow). It is pretty easy actually. You don't need any extra open wounds, fortress hits it so many times, amunt from charm is enough. Fights where you really want 100% OW are ones, where amount of hits delivered to boss is limited by the fight mechanics, such as Laz fight, there you can't keep hitting him with fortress or atmg, only your melee swings trigger it, so you want them to pop open wounds as often as possible.
OnlyForFun
Azure Drake
162 | 12
@aerial Nice 95% Content guide :thumb: Simple as hell )
Wulf
Cog
219 | 7
aerial wrote:...

Thanks a whole bunch of your detailed answer!

In terms of gear, what would you recommend? I only have access to a couple of set pieces and some SU's, meaning I'd have to rely on TU's and crafts. Can you point me in the right direction?
slowmo8686
Jungle Hunter
25 | 1
mellee in median lol good one!
aerial
Heretic
428 | 121
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Wulf wrote:

In terms of gear, what would you recommend? I only have access to a couple of set pieces and some SU's, meaning I'd have to rely on TU's and crafts. Can you point me in the right direction?

You can reuse most of thrower gear.
As for weapon, for quests where you need whirlwind for movement, anything really will be ok. A craft with +5 barb skills and max damage, proc not needed.
For things where you need slow, void rw is always handy.
for heroics you want something with high pierce, there is many combos you can do, can be dual wield and put it as offhand (6x fire rune sword for example, it doens't have very high damage so using it as mainhand has downside).

Shield: invictus. Best shield for weapon barb, better than sacred uniques.
Chest: nih runeword for builds without bear. Cheap and good. For bear variants where you don't need DR, a t6 full plate is nice, because of the strength damage bonus.
Belt: vith rw, this is pretty much endgame belt for builds that need dr. High defense and 11% DR.
Boots/gloves/helm: mix of creepy and abadoned crafts, whatever route you chose to get max block. Depends on several factors whats more optimal, more dex crafts and less base dex, or less dex crafts and more points into dex. Note that gloves spawn with up to -15% enemy res to certain element, and thats rare mod, you can get it with all types of shrines. So it is nice to have that in addition to str or dex bonus, either for heroic killer, where you for example stack -fire res, or for snake therower, thats your extra source of -poison.
rings: empyrean bands, later assur rings (there is no good regular mo for rings really, so assur rings become even better).
amulet: rare, +skills and high +life
Wulf
Cog
219 | 7
aerial wrote:
Wulf wrote:

You can reuse most of thrower gear.
As for weapon, for quests where you need whirlwind for movement, anything really will be ok. A craft with +5 barb skills and max damage, proc not needed.
For things where you need slow, void rw is always handy.
for heroics you want something with high pierce, there is many combos you can do, can be dual wield and put it as offhand (6x fire rune sword for example, it doens't have very high damage so using it as mainhand has downside).

Shield: invictus. Best shield for weapon barb, better than sacred uniques.
Chest: nih runeword for builds without bear. Cheap and good. For bear variants where you don't need DR, a t6 full plate is nice, because of the strength damage bonus.
Belt: vith rw, this is pretty much endgame belt for builds that need dr. High defense and 11% DR.
Boots/gloves/helm: mix of creepy and abadoned crafts, whatever route you chose to get max block. Depends on several factors whats more optimal, more dex crafts and less base dex, or less dex crafts and more points into dex. Note that gloves spawn with up to -15% enemy res to certain element, and thats rare mod, you can get it with all types of shrines. So it is nice to have that in addition to str or dex bonus, either for heroic killer, where you for example stack -fire res, or for snake therower, thats your extra source of -poison.
rings: empyrean bands, later assur rings (there is no good regular mo for rings really, so assur rings become even better).
amulet: rare, +skills and high +life

I love you Aerials. I will start gearing up and begin the charm gathering process.Will post back here if I need further help.