Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
+1 to what Kiki wrote

there was once the "hard mode charm" for such issues , but for some reason it was removed a few years ago . i would not mind having it back as it would also fix the drop rates debates . more pain -> more drops
suchbalance
Team Member
1756 | 513
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Common Skill Badge
Experienced Player
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Great Mind Badge
A Median XL guru... a true book of knowledge
Ah yes, the good old hard median where you take a caster with honorifics, orb 200 pierce and pretend that you're good at the game by 1 shotting every boss. Where WDM is irrelevant because all bosses can be killed with crushing blow alone. Oh you wanted to play a pure phys or magic damage character? Clearly must be bad at the game.

Nice walkthrough idea and well written. I especially enjoyed the "no respec" part of the challenge. A lot of changes have been introduced to bosses to make them more fair to different types of builds and it's good to see that pay off. Of course the barb is a very versatile character by default, but people always overestimate the difficulty of doing content with a sub-optimal spec.
aerial
Cow Ninja
1282 | 236
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Great Mind Badge
Thanks guys, it was lot of fun to do this, minus maybe few moments (1 hour and 15 min of killing sloth and not getting scroll..).

It is pretty funny to see how strong this char became with charms, there is really quite the difference, between having all charms and having just the basic set most new players usually get. Just sheer amoutn of +skills makes difference.
Technically pretty shitty build, with all charms and those t6 uniques can clear dfauzt quite nice, goes through duncraig as well. Ofc it is nowhere near decked javazon tier of speed, but still quite eyeopening, especially given we are still rocking t6 items.

As for difficulty, well.. I think lot has to do with teleport and corpse respawn. But it used to be artificial difficulty, because before if you tried solo, there was this huge problem of corpse recovery, huge running distance, so yea getting all that solo would be way harder. But at same time people who teamed up in multiplayer with portals could do exact same thing as you can do now solo. That is shit way to make game harder, if portal rushing is gone it should (and hopefully will) be gone for both solo and mp, then we can compare.

lunar.seven wrote:i think it might be: never try to hit him directly !?

Yes, thanks for the tip, typo.

suchbalance wrote:Nice walkthrough idea and well written. I especially enjoyed the "no respec" part of the challenge. A lot of changes have been introduced to bosses to make them more fair to different types of builds and it's good to see that pay off. Of course the barb is a very versatile character by default, but people always overestimate the difficulty of doing content with a sub-optimal spec.

I think you could approach this with different build. It was basically about combining two things, ranged open wounds aplication skill and boss killing ability. Aoe clear speed is not relevant for such run. I was considering going with overkill, which is insanely strong, but gave up to the problems with fighting bosses that force melee mode by teleporting on us. Overkill solves ranged OW problem so you don't need fortress. We do lose defense/free dr from bear stance and even if we overcome it by going spirit guide, this will perform worse in ww/sword switch scenario, because wolves get stuck your defense will drop.
You could also do it on pure sword+shield spec, but then your boss damage suffers (which isn't big deal with crafted gear, but here you really see 2h vs 1h difference).
Pretty sure you can try to build all classes this way, with one exception barb can be tanky on top of it without steep gear requirement. Getting relatively mid tier charms such as ureh or vizjun, as class like sin would be major pain, burning tons of portals trying to cheese it with minions. I think that single thing, utility of windform traveling with very high defence puts barb ahead of some other classes in that type of challenge.
Edited by aerial 6 years.
Unda
Onyx Knight
621 | 23
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
kiki22vu wrote:tl;dr

This takes time and effort so awesome job i guess.

But in the end it shows how median turned into ez mode with no challange at all since the latest ovrerhaul and versions.

Miss the old median :(
this causual mod route is just too easy and boring for my taste. If some1 is able to do all content with t6 gear then smthn is rly broken here.

Nothing to take away from ae he is good player with great knowledge and not ev1 is able to achive this but still this shows how "balanced" things are in latest maxl versions.

Median still got hc mode, not enough challenging?
RequiemLux
Sand Maggot
1125 | 288
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
So much dedication is really admirable! Great job aerial!
aerial
Cow Ninja
1282 | 236
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Great Mind Badge
Btw guys, I didn't sit weeks on this to grind through. I mention how many times a ran things.
Had to do ureh 8x to get +2 barb, got 3 traders chests because it rolled complete shit. Most heroics it was one run get charm and move on.
I used TA trophy on sleep charm because that was only spare that dropped (wee mf bonus)..
As for void, I had to run 2x for ring because pride didn't spawn, final fight 1 attempt :D, but I guess I got lucky.
Don't look at this run as bashing your head against wall to slowly collect these charms after countless of runs, you can do most of it just with 1 run, except heroic fights will take you 40min-1h, or place like yshari is just long map so it takes time. Otherwise it goes pretty smooth.

Btw one "mistake" I made was probably running destruction baal too early. You could easily do it later so fight should be bit shorter. I just couldn't wait to see that single target dps :)
lunar.seven
Grubber
325 | 8
Unda wrote:
kiki22vu wrote:tl;dr

This takes time and effort so awesome job i guess.

But in the end it shows how median turned into ez mode with no challange at all since the latest ovrerhaul and versions.

Miss the old median :(
this causual mod route is just too easy and boring for my taste. If some1 is able to do all content with t6 gear then smthn is rly broken here.

Nothing to take away from ae he is good player with great knowledge and not ev1 is able to achive this but still this shows how "balanced" things are in latest maxl versions.

Median still got hc mode, not enough challenging?

the point of that its possible - was in the game all before, only now it is easier for SP with corpse recovery in town

some ubers can be done with maybe tu1 gear also :mrgreen:
some ubers also can be done with an naked char, without any gear, but this is gone now, i can remember corpse-recovery-action and beating the uber boss without having the corspe back,...
arcology
Cog
211 | 51
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Very nice, awesome stuff!
I knew t6 can potentially be enough for basically everything, but no respec? That's a real gem..
shnurr214
Ice Clan
597 | 47
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
nice guide aerial!

edit: just finished the charms last night myself on zon this ladder maybe ill do a "hard mode" type playthrough now as well!
RollsRoyce
Djinn
523 | 51
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Legendary Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
this is amazing :)