Souls series (Dark, Demons, Bloodborne)

Threads that no longer serve a purpose. Read-only.
Naabaanit
Tyrannus Discordus
271 | 27
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Why the hell isn't there a Souls series post here? Ah hell, there is now. To those not familiar...

Talk about your favorite Souls games here!
Will
Mr. Generosity
106 | 9
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Common Special Badge
Unique.
Exile/Avernum 2: Crystal Souls is a favorite early 90's/reboot of mine.
On a more related note:
Are these soul's games PS-systems only? What are they like?
Frytas
Onyx Knight
614 | 97
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Demon's Souls is on PS only afaik,Dark Souls and Bloodborne are on PC.

I played Dark Souls some time ago and it was great,I beat a few bosses(Gargoyle,Taurus demon,that big wolf thing and that butterfly-ish thing)but my framerate was either stuck on 30fps or 15fps; 30 is pretty bad already and 15 was almost unplayable. I have upgraded every single part of my PC since then so I should probably give it another shot,because I enjoyed the game,but got tired of the framerate eventually and stopped playing.
Segolia
Djinn
541 | 38
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Only Demon's Souls and Bloodborn and Playstation 3 and 4 (respectively) exclusives. The Dark Souls Series are on Xbox 360, PS3, and PC*.

They are ARPGs with timed dodging, blocking, parrying, the use of oversized weapons, and controversially powerful magic. They intentionally lack direction, or a story that is presented to you directly. You get lost as to what is really going on as you have your shield up always as you look around each corner to make sure a nasty ambush or trap wont get the best of you. What makes their games great is how they treat difficulty. Deaths are very much avoidable if you be patient and have a sharp eye. Exploring the area around you as well can often prevent a future death that you may not be aware of. And when you do die, you can easily learn from your mistakes. And if you don't, you lose your souls.

Souls are a global currency that allows you to level up and buy gear. You cannot store these souls, they are stuck on your person until you spend them. When you die, you leave a bloodstain near where you died, containing all lost souls. If you die while those souls are still there, they vanish forever. In other words, try not to die.

*The PC version of Dark Souls: Prepare to die Edition requires a few mods to fix it up.

Bloodborne are on PC

No it isn't.

I played Dark Souls some time ago and it was great,I beat a few bosses(Gargoyle,Taurus demon,that big wolf thing and that butterfly-ish thing)but my framerate was either stuck on 30fps or 15fps; 30 is pretty bad already and 15 was almost unplayable. I have upgraded every single part of my PC since then so I should probably give it another shot,because I enjoyed the game,but got tired of the framerate eventually and stopped playing.

Google DSFix and you can remove the FPS cap.
Edited by Segolia 8 years.
Frytas
Onyx Knight
614 | 97
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Segolia wrote:Only Demon's Souls and Bloodborn and Playstation 3 and 4 (respectively) exclusives.

Fuck,I thought - well,I was hoping,actually - that Bloodborne is on pc too. :(
edit: now I know why I thought that Bloodborne was on PC. I confused that game with Lords of the fallen (which is on pc) xd
Alkaiser
Balrog
122 | 4
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Having played many thousands of hours total for all the souls games, including Bloodborne, the latter is my favorite in combat mechanics. I don't like gun parries, but weapon movesets are extremely satisfying this time around. The PvP is quite stale though. I blame it on the smaller and tighter selection of weapon and attire selection. For PvE, it doesn't bother me too much.

Dark Souls 3 looks pretty hype, though.

► Show Spoiler
Naabaanit
Tyrannus Discordus
271 | 27
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Anyone remember their first time picking up a souls game? I mean we all had to start somewhere, right?

One of the games in particular (haven't played Demon's Souls), Dark Souls 1, was particularly brutal for me. I killed off the tutorial boss easy but HO-LY Shit. The Taurus Demon was probably the hardest boss ever for me. I had no idea you could keep drop-attacking off the tower so I always tried to run up with a shield and axe and always got destroyed.
Will
Mr. Generosity
106 | 9
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Common Special Badge
Unique.
Any Xboxone Projects on the horizon... Is there an official site with news of the series?

Sounds like some good action
Segolia
Djinn
541 | 38
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
http://www.fromsoftware.jp/pc_en/ Is their official website.

Also guys I'm in the process of editing/recording a DS lets play with a few twists. I'll post here when I upload any.
The Big Ouchy
Destroyer
6 | 0
Naabaanit wrote:Anyone remember their first time picking up a souls game? I mean we all had to start somewhere, right?

I started with Demon's Souls before the idea of a spiritual successor was even a thing (heard about it on the old forums actually). The dude at the gamestop basically asked me if I was sure I wanted to buy it which I got a kick out of. Hardest thing I've ever done in a game was beat 1-1 in that fucking game. It took me days and I probably got killed by every enemy in there at least once. I started feeling like I was playing I wanna be the guy. Just getting to the first boss was so rage-quit worthy that I look back at it fondly. Then I got to the boss and tried to chip away at it slowly...
I got it to half health...
And then it regenerated...
And I put down the controller and calmly walked away.

I've played them all and loved them all but demon's is still my favorite. The lore is the best, there aren't any totally useless weapon classes (ex: anything with the word "great" in front of it in Dark souls is utter crap) and the community was awesome. Bloodborne has great combat mechanics but the lack of weapon freedom kinda sucks. It's also got way too many 1 shots too early in the game thanks to bosses getting counter damage and the increased encouragement to dodge/attack constantly giving them plenty of chances. The one shots kind of ruin the regain system a bit but who am I to judge I suppose. Dark souls is great except for roll->BS based PVP and the aforementioned useless weapon classes.Not to mention a great number of Dark souls bosses are just a Demon's souls rehash. Dark souls 2 was the best game for building a character but lacked a bit in story (great central idea though). Still have to get the rerelease to see how the game was supposed to look (luckily I didn't pay for the original release).

Dark 3 looks like demons souls to me so I'm stoked. And hoping bloodborne dlc brings more weapons and a couple more tools. Still wish they'd do demon's souls 2 though.

Umbasa.