MXL2017 on OSX via WINE

Threads that no longer serve a purpose. Read-only.
ninetyninetails
Skeleton
3 | 0
I'm trying to get into MXL by running D2 with MXL under WINE on my Macbook Pro. However, I'm running into trouble. I've installed D2X via the Blizzard digital download installers from Blizz's site, under WINE, and then copied the MXL files from the download into the Diablo II folder. It launches and loads to the main menu fine, but hangs on loading when attempting to start a game. I've fiddled with compatibility in WINE, trying Win7, WinXP, et al, with no luck. I've tried v1.13 installers and downgrades in an attempt to find a working install, but no joy there, either. Any help?
Muilpeer
Daystar
667 | 23
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
I will refer to my previous reaction in another thread:
viewtopic.php?p=127564#p127564

Muilpeer wrote:Hey man, the latest version of MXL cannot be installed on a mac. Problem is that there are added DLL's.

I also own a MacBook and what I did was install Bootcamp on a 40Gb partition and put Win8 on it. From there I can run Diablo 2:LOD with the MXL launcher and successfully play MedianXL 2017 online.

I know it's kind of a hassle and it sucks that MXL doesn't have MacOS compatibility anymore (BrotherLaz's intentions were to always keep it mac-compatible but since he's not working on the mod anymore, I guess that goal has disappeared. The new team however did amazing changes to the D2 engine which enable very complicated modding to the game so I guess in the end it's worth it!), but it's still worth going through all of this.

On top of all that, if you use bootcamp, you can also use the launcher, D2Stats and other tools (D2SE, Plugy etc) depending if you play online or offline. All in all, the functionality you get when using bootcamp is awesome. I can't imagine going back to play MXL on my MacOS installation anymore even though I was very conservative and disappointed when I first heard MacOS compatibility would drop somewhere along the line a couple of years ago.

I have embraced the new mod and they are doing a great job.

I'm not sure if it's impossible with Wine, but the changes that are made in the mod make it well possible that it cannot be played through wine anymore. That said, you really want the functionality of the launcher and D2statsreader, and these are only possible by using bootcamp.
vtx09
Invader
9 | 0
Edit: Sadly this no longer works with new enough versions of Median and D2Stats (Late MXLU & Sigma).

Can you manage to start up D2LoD v1.13 in wine?
If so you could use D2SE to install Median.

D2Stats do work with Wine on Linux but you have to let it stall in the background first, launch Median and then bring back D2Stats to foreground.

Code: Select all

wine D2Stats.exe &

Wait like ten seconds for it to stall.

wine D2SE.exe &
launch MedianXl and enter the game.

fg +
restarts D2Stats and you're ready to go.

Edit: Sadly this no longer works with new enough versions of Median and D2Stats (Late MXLU & Sigma).
Edited by vtx09 4 years.
Muilpeer
Daystar
667 | 23
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Wow, since when is it possible to run multiple exes in Wine on Mac? I only remember it wasn't possible at all.
ninetyninetails
Skeleton
3 | 0
I have a 1.13 D2X install that launches fine, I'll try D2SE and see where that gets me.
vtx09
Invader
9 | 0
Muilpeer wrote:Wow, since when is it possible to run multiple exes in Wine on Mac? I only remember it wasn't possible at all.

What? Oh, I didn't know that. I don't have a Mac to try with either.
Stulejarz
Stone Warrior
30 | 0
vtx09 wrote:Can you manage to start up D2LoD v1.13 in wine?
If so you could use D2SE to install Median.

D2Stats do work with Wine on Linux but you have to let it stall in the background first, launch Median and then bring back D2Stats to foreground.

wine D2Stats.exe &

Wait like ten seconds for it to stall.

wine D2SE.exe &
launch MedianXl and enter the game.

fg +
restarts D2Stats and you're ready to go.

Sadly, that solution doesn't work anymore. Does anyone have suggestions how to run d2stats on wine now?
syndrome
Prowler
18 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
You can use D2Stats with Median XL Sigma under wine as described here
Elendilli
Djinn
548 | 67
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge