MacOS & sigma

Need help installing the mod?
WastingLight
Invader
8 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
I've read that the current ways to install MedianXL on MacOS will no longer work with Sigma.

How can I install Sigma on my MacOS Mojave when it releases?
SteelWings
Sasquatch
67 | 5
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
I had no luck installing Sigma with regular installer, but I managed to do so using D2SE + MedianXL files found on ModDB.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/medianxl/dow ... dian-xl-13

I'm assuming Sigma will be updated on ModDB as well.
Solfege
Harpylisk
1461 | 209
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
WastingLight wrote:I've read that the current ways to install MedianXL on MacOS will no longer work with Sigma.

How can I install Sigma on my MacOS Mojave when it releases?

Unless there's a way to run Sigma without using the Launcher, Mac and Linux users are out of luck. As of now and afaik, the Launcher doesn't work with either OS, or with application layers such as WINE. The devs have also stated publicly that 3rd party tools won't be compatible with Sigma. This includes D2SE. It sucks, but it is what it is.
SteelWings
Sasquatch
67 | 5
Great Popularity Badge
Well, that's a bummer.
But, AFAIK, there is a way to install any mod on D2 without use of D2SE, as it's just a convenient method of keeping saves between mods.

This means you'll be able to install mod files from Median XL Sigma (like you would install a mod without D2SE) and run D2 as usual with WINE.
You won't be able to access base game easily and I'm not sure how The Sin War would be configured.
But, I mean, I don't need any other mods besides Sigma, so there's that.

It should work. In theory, at least. :scratch:
Solfege
Harpylisk
1461 | 209
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
In theory, yeah (at least, I hope). But you won't get all the extra features the Launcher provides.

I've tried getting the Launcher working with WINE, but haven't had much luck. The code is open source, but I'm not a programmer, so my knowledge is limited, and no one else really seems interested in doing anything to get it working.

As far as connecting to TSW, a simple registry edit might be all you need.
WastingLight
Invader
8 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
So is there anyway I can get sigma running on macbook Mojave?
SteelWings
Sasquatch
67 | 5
Great Popularity Badge
I don't think anyone can answer that before we can get our hands on Sigma.
I've been trying to run this with wine and/or winetricks and I can't manage to do it.

It doesn't seem to be a problem with launcher, but actually the Median .dll not loading properly when using Wine.
Since there is no way to "Run as administrator" with wine I don't think this can be solved easily.

Right now only reliable way to run Median XL (for me on Mac OS Mojave) was to use D2SE.
If it's not going to work with Sigma anymore - well, I guess we're out of luck.

Maybe I'll use Parallels or other emulation software just for D2, but I'd hate to do that just to play one game. Still gonna do it, I'm addicted to Median XL. :bounce:
Crash
Madawc
6799 | 327
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
You'll need Wine or something of the like. WineBottle I think has a walkthrough somewhere for running windows programs properly on Mac.

I just partitioned my computer and run windows 10 on BootCamp. It's the least painful way to do it.
Solfege
Harpylisk
1461 | 209
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
@SteelWings
WINE runs programs as admin by default, so I don't think that's the issue.

@Aero
The problem isn't so much getting MXL itself to run via WINE, it's getting the Launcher to work since it's (supposedly) the only way to play Sigma. And since no one has figured out how to get the Launcher to work properly with WINE yet, Mac+Linux users are screwed.

And with respect, simply advising people to just install Win 10 is a poor solution. Personally, I don't feel like dropping $120+ on an OS I'll never use for anything more than playing a mod for a 20 y.o. game.
SteelWings
Sasquatch
67 | 5
Great Popularity Badge
@Solfege
Yes, exactly, since WINE uses superuser by default there's no way to apply the most common fix to "Failed to retrieve process" problem that I ran into trying to get it work on MacOS.
Funnily enough, I get the same exact error trying to run same D2 folder (Sigma installed over base game files, no PlugY, no D2SE) on Win7 virtual machine.
It is, as expected, solved by "Run as administrator".
Since I'm not an expert on low-level debugging I can't point out what the exact problem is.

Also, I've (barely) managed to get MXL Launcher working, battling through exceptions popping up, but the problem I'm having exactly the same problem.
"Failed to retrieve process" when running via either:
- launcher on Wine
- "Diablo II.exe" on Wine
- "Diablo 2.exe" on Win7 without "Run as administrator"

@Aero
I'll probably do that just to play D2, but this is extreme overkill and (as @Solfege said) waste of money and resources.
Let's hope it does work with D2SE or there is a workaround, because booting into Win10 for just one game is kind of ridiculous.

Things you do for love (for Sigma). :oops: