Median XL without Launcher + Steam Deck/Linux/MacOS guide

Need help installing the mod?
Mixsmaack
Skeleton
2 | 0
MinuteMaidBerry wrote:
kambala wrote:alternative guide :)
1. download .dmg with already configured game: https://mega.nz/#!xdQDjSqR!7uRTpmdewMEj ... 5sJCg-Tl9Y
2. open the .dmg, copy the .app somewhere
3. run the copied .app

I seem to be having a problem downloading this through Mega. Just keeps giving a retry message both through the browser and program. (MacOS Mojave 10.14.2)

Downloaded fine, opened .dmg, copied .app to applications. Trying to launch the app and it is stuck on "Verifying " app... Do you have a solution ?

Cheers!
kambala
Djinn
509 | 87
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Great Contribution Badge
Is an active collaborator / developer
Are you also on Mojave? Could you try opening it with right click - open?
LostProSXL
Fallen
1 | 0
Mixsmaack wrote:
MinuteMaidBerry wrote:
1. download .dmg with already configured game: https://mega.nz/#!xdQDjSqR!7uRTpmdewMEj ... 5sJCg-Tl9Y
3. run the copied .app

I seem to be having a problem downloading this through Mega. Just keeps giving a retry message both through the browser and program. (MacOS Mojave 10.14.2)

Downloaded fine, opened .dmg, copied .app to applications. Trying to launch the app and it is stuck on "Verifying " app... Do you have a solution ?

Cheers!

Worked for me without any Problems.

Will this app be updated for the different patches? Didn't test it so far with 1.0.2 being released - but i hope it still works...

Or will there be a native "official" OSX launcher
kambala
Djinn
509 | 87
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Great Contribution Badge
I don't plan to update it every time, please do it manually. You'll need xdelta to apply diff I guess, which can be installed from e.g. homebrew.

afaik MXL team plans to release native macOS launcher sone time soon.
void
Shadowgate Totem
1771 | 97
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
has anyone tested this method on linux?
buddhalovesme
Fallen
1 | 0
kambala wrote:
mploura wrote:
3. run the copied .app

This worked flawlessly for me. Thank you kambala.
Is there a way to make it fullscreen? I tried the -3dfx flag but it didn't work (the ACCESS VIOLATION (c0000005) error appeared)

I haven't found how to do it

I used a hybrid of SteelWings method and kambala's. Everything runs flawlessly in full screen with a simple app launch.
Once I had the launcherless install working I found I wanted a simple launching option but couldn't get any launcher scripts to work with the -3dfx flag. So I used Porting Kit to create an empty wrapper (WS9WineStaging3.21 engine) and then copied my D2 directory into it. Had a hard time getting fullscreen to work until I finally figured it out.

The solution was to adjust wineskin settings. Under "Avdanced" menu I added -3dfx to exe flags. Then under "Set Screen Options" I checked the "Use Mac Driver instead of X11" and it runs flawlessly in full screen now.

Not sure if these steps will work in kambala's app or not, but it might.

P.S. Also previously used this guide https://www.thelinuxrain.com/articles/how-to-run-diablo-2-glide-opengl-wrapper to tune my opengl settings. Winecfg set to Windows 8 compatibility. Plus I'm running El Capitan.
m7r7m
Fallen
1 | 0
Porting Kit works great on Mac Mojave - you can even add a 'shortcut' to your toolbar.
kambala
Djinn
509 | 87
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Great Contribution Badge
buddhalovesme wrote:I used a hybrid of SteelWings method and kambala's. Everything runs flawlessly in full screen with a simple app launch.
Once I had the launcherless install working I found I wanted a simple launching option but couldn't get any launcher scripts to work with the -3dfx flag. So I used Porting Kit to create an empty wrapper (WS9WineStaging3.21 engine) and then copied my D2 directory into it. Had a hard time getting fullscreen to work until I finally figured it out.

The solution was to adjust wineskin settings. Under "Avdanced" menu I added -3dfx to exe flags. Then under "Set Screen Options" I checked the "Use Mac Driver instead of X11" and it runs flawlessly in full screen now.

Not sure if these steps will work in kambala's app or not, but it might.

P.S. Also previously used this guide https://www.thelinuxrain.com/articles/how-to-run-diablo-2-glide-opengl-wrapper to tune my opengl settings. Winecfg set to Windows 8 compatibility. Plus I'm running El Capitan.

thanks for the hints! Initially when I ran with glide it worked, but then after tinkering with its settings it stopped working :/
m7r7m wrote:Porting Kit works great on Mac Mojave - you can even add a 'shortcut' to your toolbar.

thanks for the info! Sounds great, I'll also check It out.
kambala
Djinn
509 | 87
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Great Contribution Badge
from what I see, Porting Kit is basically the same as Wineskin, just with new engines and game database (which I didn't use for Sigma anyway). But I've finally managed to run the game in glide in window with captured mouse! Probably WGL_ARB_render_texture extension was causing issues for me. (also I've found out that the Test button in glide settings is actually useful and allows to check if your settings will work or not) The only drawback is that I can't move the game window, but luckily the glide setting "centered" positions the window just fine. Thanks everyone!

My glide settings are in the attachment.
Mixsmaack
Skeleton
2 | 0
Is there some way you guys could explain to a Mac dummy what you are doing to get this running?
Kambala's method doesn't work for me..
Launching the .app = not working
Opening package to launch Wineskin says : File damaged, put it in the trash
I would appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks