"Generic Bad Character File" error in SP upon creating a new character

Need help installing the mod?
oakflesh
Imp
5 | 0
Hello!

So as I'm trying to make a new SP character, the game gives me this error:
Needless to say, I had searched through the FAQ and indeed, I did find out I had non-latin characters in my OS username.

Now that I had changed my username to a ''less problematic one" I thought the problem would go away. No dice, the error is still there upon starting a new SP game.

So, do you have any ideas what I can do? Am I missing something? Things I've tried so far:
- changing my local username
- logging as a M$ account
- clean D2 install
- deleting leftover save files

Thank you in advance.
Aspirine101
Lesbimale™
374 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Hey.
How exactly did you change your username? You can change your account's name through the control panel but that won't work because it only changes the name on the welcome screen, not the name of the folder in C:/users.
oakflesh
Imp
5 | 0
Aspirine101 wrote:Hey.
How exactly did you change your username? You can change your account's name through the control panel but that won't work because it only changes the name on the welcome screen, not the name of the folder in C:/users.

I did exactly the former, through the control panel. Won't changing my user folder name royally mess with my other stuff? Did you try that?
Aspirine101
Lesbimale™
374 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
oakflesh wrote:

I did exactly the former, through the control panel. Won't changing my user folder name royally mess with my other stuff? Did you try that?

That's the thing. You cannot change your user folder by normal means, what I did was made a new user account, copy files from old usrr folder to new one (not all preferences seem to be copied thought, it was a bit messy) and then I installed the launcher after signing into the new user account, then it worked fine.
oakflesh
Imp
5 | 0
Aspirine101 wrote:
oakflesh wrote:

That's the thing. You cannot change your user folder by normal means, what I did was made a new user account, copy files from old usrr folder to new one (not all preferences seem to be copied thought, it was a bit messy) and then I installed the launcher after signing into the new user account, then it worked fine.

Oh, I see. Thank you for the advice, I'll try that. Cheers!
ryunp
Lava Lord
97 | 73
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Great Contribution Badge
Is an active collaborator / developer
The safest path to a solution would first test if a new Windows User without any special characters solves the problem. If this is successful, the two solution paths are:
1) Keep using the new User login to play
2) Modifying your normal User account

The second option is great since you get to keep your usual user login. This can be very dangerous if not performed correctly breaking your normal user login. For more information about the process, see: https://superuser.com/a/1346983.

Simply renaming the Username in the Control Panel dialogs WILL NOT change the Folder name in 'c:\Users<username>' and Registry data associated with it.

To quote a player who successfully performed the operations:
Created a new Windows Admin Account.
Logged in from that account.
Renamed main user's folder name and changed registry entry as mentioned in a link you have previously shared.
Logged out and logged back into main user.
Checked if everything is in order. Folder name, registry entry etc.)
Ran the launcher and the game.
Worked like a charm.

After the changes have been applied, you can delete the previously created user that was used to modify your original User account.

Be aware that this might (shouldn't) affect the OS in odd ways. If there is any strange Windows behavior, this change is most likely the cause.