MXL: Sigma Announced

The awaited Median XL sequel is coming - discuss it here.
arkolyno
Cultist
23 | -2
Well, considering that a diablo 2 remaster or remake is in the works, according to the recent hirings Blizzard made for legacy games, what would that mean for sigma? It appears that both will share the same time frame for release, in the future. How will the sigma team manage that? What if you release sigma then blizz releases diablo 2 remastered soon after that? It would be a huge development time invested in a sigma mod based on classic D2 ,just to realize that a better D2 core game is coming out

Did you try to contact Blizzard and work on a solution? A lot of other great mod communities did that, Homeworld Complex dev, Beghins, worked on classic Homeworld 2 remaster with the game devs, and at the same time this allowed him to develop his mod for the remastered game ,before the actual remaster came out, so that they won't have to wait for the actual remastered game to be released and then start work on the mod, having to wait years again for the mod to release.

In short, are you planning to work in tandem with blizzard so that sigma will be ported to the remastered d2 faster? Or will it be released for classic d2 then you will develop a new mod for remastered D2?
User avatar
Nitz
Amazon Warrior
1666 | 49
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
I am playing on a potato, that potato can play Diablo 2 and Wc3. It surely can't run a new diablo. Also once you go median diablo is way to slow for you. You fall asleep playing.

I would rather have a median mod on path of exile.
arkolyno
Cultist
23 | -2
not talking about a new diablo, but diablo 2 remaster....dooh
User avatar
HechtHeftig
I paid 10$ for this.
1845 | 130
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
arkolyno wrote:Well, considering that a diablo 2 remaster or remake is in the works, according to the recent hirings Blizzard made for legacy games, what would that mean for sigma? It appears that both will share the same time frame for release, in the future. How will the sigma team manage that? What if you release sigma then blizz releases diablo 2 remastered soon after that? It would be a huge development time invested in a sigma mod based on classic D2 ,just to realize that a better D2 core game is coming out

Did you try to contact Blizzard and work on a solution? A lot of other great mod communities did that, Homeworld Complex dev, Beghins, worked on classic Homeworld 2 remaster with the game devs, and at the same time this allowed him to develop his mod for the remastered game ,before the actual remaster came out, so that they won't have to wait for the actual remastered game to be released and then start work on the mod, having to wait years again for the mod to release.

In short, are you planning to work in tandem with blizzard so that sigma will be ported to the remastered d2 faster? Or will it be released for classic d2 then you will develop a new mod for remastered D2?


1: blizzard is known for not supporting mods for their games (in the terms and services it even says that it's not even allowed to play on a private server)

2: the possibility that the game leaks greatly increases with working together with Modders.

3: blizzard fucked up diablo 3, the one game Ever I was really hyped for. I don't trust anything anymore unless I can try it out on my own. Who says blizzard won't fuck up the remaster as well?

4: if blizzard uses the same engine and just adds some graphic updates, it won't be a problem porting sigma over (except maybe lack of new textures). If blizzard uses a new engine, it's very unlikely that all the mechanics from the game are exactly the same (like the frame system, and thus all the speedcalculations and ND) so it'd need much more work to include the sigma content and adjust the games mechanics especially since we don't know any method to mod the engine yet. What if that's impossible?
User avatar
whist
Team Member
553 | 480
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
HechtHeftig wrote:it won't be a problem porting sigma over

what :lol: :lol: :lol:

There's no way MXLS will get ported, period. To any other version than 1.13c
That would be 985 patches to port (this number keeps increasing too, since it's in dev)
User avatar
HechtHeftig
I paid 10$ for this.
1845 | 130
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
whist wrote:
HechtHeftig wrote:it won't be a problem porting sigma over

what :lol: :lol: :lol:

There's no way MXLS will get ported, period. To any other version than 1.13c
That would be 985 patches to port (this number keeps increasing too, since it's in dev)


Hm? That's in case of a graphical update only? I mean you guys created the launcher, which fixes all bugs that blizzard introduced to 1.14, fucking up the compatability of every mod and the possibility to downgrade from 1.14. So a graphical update (swapping out existing assets with new ones) wouldn't be much of a hassle, or am I wrong?

Anyway, that won't be the case either way. I read a bit about the upcoming D2 remake. They will introduce a completely new engine, so it's too much of a hassle to port sigma over there anyway.
User avatar
Solfege
Mahasattva
929 | 127
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
D2 Remastered probably won't get released for many years anyway, if ever. Starcraft Remastered just got released and I bet Blizz is looking at the numbers closely to see if this whole remastering thing is gonna be profitable. If so, Warcraft 3 will probably come a few years later, followed by D2 a few years after that. But a lot can change in that time.
User avatar
Taem
Amazon Warrior
1616 | 39
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
HechtHeftig wrote:
whist wrote:
HechtHeftig wrote:it won't be a problem porting sigma over

what :lol: :lol: :lol:

There's no way MXLS will get ported, period. To any other version than 1.13c
That would be 985 patches to port (this number keeps increasing too, since it's in dev)


Hm? That's in case of a graphical update only? I mean you guys created the launcher, which fixes all bugs that blizzard introduced to 1.14, fucking up the compatability of every mod and the possibility to downgrade from 1.14. So a graphical update (swapping out existing assets with new ones) wouldn't be much of a hassle, or am I wrong?

Anyway, that won't be the case either way. I read a bit about the upcoming D2 remake. They will introduce a completely new engine, so it's too much of a hassle to port sigma over there anyway.


Yeah Whist, haxor it with wizard powers! Lol, HechtHeftig, I take it you're not a programmer? In every patch, Blizzard will add or remove bits of data the repackage all the files (i.e exe, dll, etc) which in turn take up a different spot in memory. What does that mean for Whist? It means the location in memory that he was exploiting previously is not longer there, so he'd have to locate the new location through trial and error... For each exploit... Some of his code may even have to be rewritten if that process has been closed. If Blizzard just released the source code, we'd of had Sigma years ago. You should get an intern job there and steal it for us, for everyone. You'd be a hero, a God amongst mortals! Oh, and a remastered edition will most likely use the Diablo 3 engine, so you can count on precisely zero of Whist code being usable in that case, for similar reasons as stated above but even more complicated.
User avatar
HechtHeftig
I paid 10$ for this.
1845 | 130
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Taem wrote: Lol, HechtHeftig, I take it you're not a programmer? In every patch, Blizzard will add or remove bits of data the repackage all the files (i.e exe, dll, etc) which in turn take up a different spot in memory. What does that mean for Whist? It means the location in memory that he was exploiting previously is not longer there, so he'd have to locate the new location through trial and error... For each exploit... Some of his code may even have to be rewritten if that process has been closed. If Blizzard just released the source code, we'd of had Sigma years ago. You should get an intern job there and steal it for us, for everyone. You'd be a hero, a God amongst mortals! Oh, and a remastered edition will most likely use the Diablo 3 engine, so you can count on precisely zero of Whist code being usable in that case, for similar reasons as stated above but even more complicated.


Nope I'm not a programmer. I had a bit of Java and Delphi in school, but I never developed a game myself (well... except a real bad hangman :D). Thanks for your clarification. I didn't think the locations would change much. I figured already that it'd be too hard if not impossible to port it over in case they release a new engine (as I said in my first post).

But how does the launcher work then in theory? Does it emulate a 1.13c patch in order to run it on any patch? I'm just curious.

Nah, the Remastered version will most likely have a new engine other than the D3 engine. After all, Blizzard is looking for a lead software engineer for graphics and engine. That was the only hint to justify the rumor of the remastered version of D2 according to some news. Plus the D3 engine is already too old. They announced the game in 2008 after all, so it was already in production for a couple of years prior.
User avatar
whist
Team Member
553 | 480
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
The remaster is likely going to feature an improvement/modernization of the GFX engine, along with fixes for the major bugs that still exist today in D2. Perhaps an overhaul of the networking code as well, since D2's one is prehistorical and sync bugs are rampant.