[MXLS] Character Corpses

Threads that no longer serve a purpose. Read-only.
Marco
Team Member
1952 | 1347
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Multiplayer Badge
Has won a multiplayer contest
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Simple and straight: remove corpse feature from the game. Basically, when you die, your items do not get un-equipped. This feature would be softcore only.

Cons

- Getting corpses can be fun and is an added difficulty factor to the game.

Pros

- Multiplayer no longer has the "re-join game" advantage over single player users.
- There would be no longer ways for people to lose all their equipment due to mistakes.
- Having to re-run to the place you died seems like enough punishment.

This feature would greatly balance the game difficulty between multiplayer and single player. A lot of uberquests have become harder with time, and the issue with corpses is that they have made these quests super easy in multiplayer and complete bullshit on single player. Additionally a lot of poeple have lost their bodies in multiplayer due to human mistakes (and odd game code behavior). It kind of feels bad to lose your hard work due to lagging or accidentally picking up items while going to get the body.

But of course, getting corpses was a -somewhat- fun thing to do and required somewhat of skill in certain cases. We don't want to dumb down the game, and people might be thinking - oh, this just makes a lot of ubers so much easier. Don't worry my veteran friend, we have a little thing in mind that will completely revolutionize dungeon uberquests. And will certainly push the multiplayer scene to a whole different level. Stay tuned...
Anonymous:
Memelistas
2975 | 437
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
But you can still recover body in HC right ?
Segolia
Djinn
541 | 38
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Theorycraft time (may or may not come true ofc but I like thinking outloud):

When X monster kills you, you gain a curse and said monster grows stronger, and you can only remove the curse until you killed the buffed enemy that killed you. Could also be tied to a specific uber, or set of ubers.

A souls system, obviously coming from The Souls series. Gold, Souls, or X currency is globally used to level up and buy items, and death puts this currency at the location you died. You must pick it back up to gain them back, or if you die while that currency still remains in the wilderness they are gone forever. Items and levels you gained from the souls are permanent, so if you spend them quickly you're safe from death's punishment. If you hold onto to them through a whole act, you can wind up with being able to buy a lot of otherwise expensive items as a reward for your risks.

I know D2 already has /some/ of that implemented with gold and xp, but it doesn't take away all of it. While the corpses are fun, the issues, I do agree, are left to be desired from a tech standpoint.
Edited by Segolia 8 years.
Gekko64
Shadowgate Totem
1728 | 102
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
this is awesome news
xzmnick
Abomination
153 | 0
+
AzureGladiator
Heretic
429 | 94
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Contest Badge
Has won a forum contest
I don't know if it's possible but it might be cool to have corpses only for partial gold and experience recovery...
Marco
Team Member
1952 | 1347
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Multiplayer Badge
Median XL Team Member
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
AzureGladiator wrote:I don't know if it's possible but it might be cool to have corpses only for partial gold and experience recovery...

Except the experience loss doesn't really work out as you'd expect.

XVr patch was enlightening here. No one "naturally" reaches level 121. Players need to commit to cow runs dying as less as possible and get that 120 -> 121 leveling process out of the way. With experience loss gone, people could simply play the game and farm the places they like to farm and eventually reach 121 (or do cow runs if they want to speed up the process, but it would be optional).

I'm not saying experience loss penalty should be removed, but as it is now its rather broken.
suchbalance
Team Member
1756 | 513
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Common Skill Badge
Experienced Player
Median XL Team Member
Great Mind Badge
A Median XL guru... a true book of knowledge
Simply a win-win change in my opinion.

Mainly removes server/TCP rejoin cheese from the platter, which is always good. Newbies won't lose items due to unfamiliarity with d2 quirks. Also if you are on single player or actually bothered to pick up your corpse the normal way this saves you time, since recovery is 99% of the time repeating the same process.

One concern - the penalty for dying to bosses is now lower / almost non-existent. This would be fine if bosses could be designed to be beaten in one go. On the other hand it's hard to think of a penalty that is fair, does not require the skills/stats of every uber to be reworked and is feasible to implement in d2.

As far as multiplayer balance goes, if possible, it would be great if (harder) bosses could have skills that scale with the amount of nearby player targets. I.e. function like tempest or fire cascade. This would make it way more of a fair and interesting fight for a party.
Nitz
Harpylisk
1476 | 57
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Marco wrote: With experience loss gone, people could simply play the game and farm the places they like to farm and eventually reach 121

Farming Vizijun or Duncraig for Xp would be awesome.
Marco
Team Member
1952 | 1347
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Multiplayer Badge
Median XL Team Member
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
@sb: indeed I do have that in my mind, I really do. That's where I was going at in my last paragraph. But there's simply so much going on right now in the development that I don't want to just dump it all on the forums in one day. But you'll have news soon :mrgreen: