Suggestions for upcoming patch

Threads that no longer serve a purpose. Read-only.
NurseJared
Invader
9 | 0
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
tranvanhieu wrote:This is gonna be a huge buff to any melee character:

-MAKE ALL MELEE SKILLS IN A WAY SO THAT WHEN YOU HOOVER THE MOUSE OVER A MONSTER, YOUR CHARACTER WILL MOVE IN AND ATTACK THAT MONSTER - WITHOUT CLICKING.

Now I explain why:
-Range character: hold right mouse until everything dies
-Summonner: teleport/moving around until everything dies
-Spell caster: hold rightmouse until everything dies/switch to a different element spell to kill everything left

-Melee character: has to click the mouse like mad until everything dies, if you missclick, you can die in any hard ubers. If this thing implemented, melee characters players can hoover the mouse around without worrying that the characters will miss the attack.

Yes, I know there is a shift attack command, but it is not effective and more often the character just tries to slash in the air while monsters laugh because they has longer attack range.

This change won't change anything, but the effectiveness in fight of melee characters.

To expand on this - how about removing the lock on some skills to only be left/right click. I remember WAY, WAAAY back in early Median 08 that d2lite enhancer tools removed the right hand only lock on things like auras and all cast spells. This way you could have an aura set as your left click and still be able to have a spell or even your main melee attack on the right. Likewise, you were able to have two spells one left/one right and use shift to alternate between the both without having to use hotkeys. Having something like a aura on left click also allowed for easy moving around mobs without accidentally initiating an attack by inadvertently left clicking on a mob and needlessly engaging in a brawl. Obviously there would have to be a lockout so that this couldn't be used to activate double auras (both right and left), but I'd imagine that may already be the case now.
Solfege
Harpylisk
1461 | 209
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
tranvanhieu wrote:-MAKE ALL MELEE SKILLS IN A WAY SO THAT WHEN YOU HOOVER THE MOUSE OVER A MONSTER, YOUR CHARACTER WILL MOVE IN AND ATTACK THAT MONSTER - WITHOUT CLICKING.

Curious how this would work. Would you have to continuously keep your cursor hovered over your target to keep attacking? How would you deal with really fast monsters or monsters with really small hit-boxes? What happens when all you want to do is check a monster's status from a distance (Life, immunities, random attributes)?

What you're really asking for is Stances on LMB.

Most melee builds have it pretty easy with RMB auto target-lock. The only ones that suffer are Thundercrack Amazons and melee builds that use Stances. Nearly every other melee build can just hold RMB -> profit. If you need to switch targets or disengage the current target, just change skills real quick via hotkey/mouse wheel while holding RMB to release target-lock. You can clear whole maps with only a single click-and-hold.

NurseJared wrote:how about removing the lock on some skills to only be left/right click.

LMB Miasma ftw.
ddraabe
Prowler
17 | 1
Can the Elemental Essence and Runestone be balanced so that there dont drop 10 times as many essence ?
tranvanhieu
Grubber
310 | 2
Solfege wrote:
tranvanhieu wrote:-MAKE ALL MELEE SKILLS IN A WAY SO THAT WHEN YOU HOOVER THE MOUSE OVER A MONSTER, YOUR CHARACTER WILL MOVE IN AND ATTACK THAT MONSTER - WITHOUT CLICKING.

Curious how this would work. Would you have to continuously keep your cursor hovered over your target to keep attacking? How would you deal with really fast monsters or monsters with really small hit-boxes? What happens when all you want to do is check a monster's status from a distance (Life, immunities, random attributes)?

What you're really asking for is Stances on LMB.

Most melee builds have it pretty easy with RMB auto target-lock. The only ones that suffer are Thundercrack Amazons and melee builds that use Stances. Nearly every other melee build can just hold RMB -> profit. If you need to switch targets or disengage the current target, just change skills real quick via hotkey/mouse wheel while holding RMB to release target-lock. You can clear whole maps with only a single click-and-hold.

NurseJared wrote:how about removing the lock on some skills to only be left/right click.

LMB Miasma ftw.

My suggestion is:
-Left click a monster with a Melee Attack skill = Name lock that monster to dead (first priority)
-Hoover mouse over a monster with a Melee attack skill = Attack that monster to dead
-Do any actions will cancel the attack
-You can change left skill to any skills other than melee attack skill if you just want to check a monster's stats

Problem with Melee characters is that the moment you stop hitting monster (missclick/monster you attacking die...), you might die because you stop leeching, proccing, debuffing... with your attack. My suggestion can solve it.
Stereox
Cog
247 | 4
I'd rather get better leech and damage update rate as sometimes i won't leech when attacking there's 99999 arrows to my face
ChuckNoRis
Flying Polar Buffalo
3006 | 81
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
tranvanhieu wrote:Problem with Melee characters is that the moment you stop hitting monster (missclick/monster you attacking die...), you might die because you stop leeching, proccing, debuffing... with your attack. My suggestion can solve it.
unless you are a squishy geared (melee) assassin the above statement does not apply (once you got access to Vampiric Icon you can solve most of the leech issue for it too ) . let's not put all melee in the same pot

since when did the melee (generaly zomfg tanks) become dead meat when they stop attacking ? that's the best joke i heard lately .

the "problem" is actualy making general assumptions for things you don't know/didn't play , then make some suggestions based on your assumptions

put a barb (30k hp , 500k+ defence, maxed eagle stance/good %dr and resistances/eat an apple) in most farming spots , go outside the balcony and smoke a cigarette , come back , his hp is still full .

tranvanhieu wrote:Problem with Melee characters...
be serious , rly . there's no general problem about them

my suggestion to you is "l.t.p." . after you do that (play all 7 classes at least once ), look back at your suggestion post (from the previous page) again and i bet you will feel like "now why did i say that ?? :facepalm: "
tranvanhieu
Grubber
310 | 2
ChuckNoRis wrote:
tranvanhieu wrote:Problem with Melee characters is that the moment you stop hitting monster (missclick/monster you attacking die...), you might die because you stop leeching, proccing, debuffing... with your attack. My suggestion can solve it.
unless you are a squishy geared (melee) assassin the above statement does not apply (once you got access to Vampiric Icon you can solve most of the leech issue for it too ) . let's not put all melee in the same pot

since when did the melee (generaly zomfg tanks) become dead meat when they stop attacking ? that's the best joke i heard lately .

the "problem" is actualy making general assumptions for things you don't know/didn't play , then make some suggestions based on your assumptions

put a barb (30k hp , 500k+ defence, maxed eagle stance/good %dr and resistances/eat an apple) in most farming spots , go outside the balcony and smoke a cigarette , come back , his hp is still full .

tranvanhieu wrote:Problem with Melee characters...
be serious , rly . there's no general problem about them

my suggestion to you is "l.t.p." . after you do that (play all 7 classes at least once ), look back at your suggestion post (from the previous page) again and i bet you will feel like "now why did i say that ?? :facepalm: "

I have played most melee character for all 7 classses, all starts from scratch, and all up to hard ubers.

You are talking about the end game character, what about the journey before acquiring all that?

For all characters I have played, melee ones always die the most, and many times that is because my character didn't hit monster. Let's say 1000 Cogs is running toward you, you hit 1 of them, it dies fast- may be along with several others , now you have to click another, and another...if I wrongly click a Cogs that is too far, I will be surrounded by 5 cogs while the character will try to move out to hit the far target. Result may be dead, unless I have to click like mad to make sure that I always hit the closest monster. And it still still not very effective.

Do you have to do this with Range, Spell or Teleport-based melee character? Absolutely no.

Now if the suggestion happen, I will only have to hoover mouse close enough near my character, and he will do his job for sure.

You won't notice this with godly gear, but for character that start from scratch, collecting charms and gears, the change will improve their life a lot.

Try to understand other players's perspective before bashing them, bro.
Solfege
Harpylisk
1461 | 209
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
tranvanhieu wrote:Let's say 1000 Cogs is running toward you, you hit 1 of them, it dies fast- may be along with several others , now you have to click another, and another...if I wrongly click a Cogs that is too far, I will be surrounded by 5 cogs while the character will try to move out to hit the far target. Result may be dead, unless I have to click like mad to make sure that I always hit the closest monster. And it still still not very effective.

To be fair, I agree this scenario is incredibly frustrating. It happens a lot in Dunc after you teleport. You get swarmed and accidentally click a monster outside your melee range, and all your character does is stand there b/c they can't reach the target. It also sometimes happens when trying to get through narrow corridors, but a group of monsters is blocking the way.
tranvanhieu
Grubber
310 | 2
Solfege wrote:
tranvanhieu wrote:Let's say 1000 Cogs is running toward you, you hit 1 of them, it dies fast- may be along with several others , now you have to click another, and another...if I wrongly click a Cogs that is too far, I will be surrounded by 5 cogs while the character will try to move out to hit the far target. Result may be dead, unless I have to click like mad to make sure that I always hit the closest monster. And it still still not very effective.

To be fair, I agree this scenario is incredibly frustrating. It happens a lot in Dunc after you teleport. You get swarmed and accidentally click a monster outside your melee range, and all your character does is stand there b/c they can't reach the target. It also sometimes happens when trying to get through narrow corridors, but a group of monsters is blocking the way.

And add to that, there are many monsters in Median that are invisible (ghost phoenix, dark templar to name some). You click a monster and wonder why your character won't move at all and realize you get killed because they block your way to the monster you click attack.

I don't know how hard it is to implement this, but if this happen, a lot of people will enjoy their melee builds more.
ChuckNoRis
Flying Polar Buffalo
3006 | 81
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
tranvanhieu wrote:
You are talking about the end game character, what about the journey before acquiring all that?

For all characters I have played, melee ones always die the most, and many times that is because my character didn't hit monster.....

Do you have to do this with Range, Spell or Teleport-based melee character? Absolutely no....

Now if the suggestion happen, I will only have to hoover mouse close enough near my character, and he will do his job for sure.

Try to understand other players's perspective before bashing them, bro.
every character has access to at least 1 support/aoe crowd control skill which it can/should use in the situations where it gets swarmed (be it stun/blink/freeze/make opponents flee/other stuff). Getting swarmed and raped by cogs "unless you hit them to leech" sounds like an undergeared build which got to act 1 terror Outer Cloister with t2/t3 gear . And i don't think Duncraig counts here since any build , be it ranged or melee, can get raped as soon as it jumps over the wall in the middle of a slain souls pack .

the way i see it , it's you who is missclicking and instead to try and improve your skills you blame the character for something you did not do well . the character can't missclick , you're the one doing that .

any melee character can farm in any regular farming uber with just crafts and rw-s up to level 100 . some can do it faster than others , but neither need high end game SU's or rw's to do that + if you miss the first hit (either by missclick or simply because that your attack did not hit due to che chance to hit ) you arn't dead , as at that point you're supposed to be having decent enough defensive stats to either survive a few hits or a chance to be hit low enough not to care if you miss 1 or 2 strikes in a row . if you get killed at the moment you stop clicking , you must have did something bad . if you rely just on life leech to stay alive , you must have missed boosting the defensive stats [(high defence for low chance to be hit/chance to block/avoid/physical damage reduction+maxed resistances for less pain/meatshield (be it summons or reanimates)] or you're not making use of the crow control available options

looking at your complains , it seams to me like the melee builds do not suit you in general , as you feel more comfortable playing something that delivers damage from a higher range .

i'm not intending to bash you or something , i'm not intending anything close to that , i'm just trying to point you out that your "issue" is not actualy a general problem that needs fixing in a future upcoming patch , it's more like a personal/isolated case of not suiting the playstyle of melee builds .

i don't think we need more "quilstorm 1-button auto attack" melee builds , if you know what i mean . because that's what it sounds you are asking for .

► Show Spoiler