New Engine , is it possible to show damage numbers !? and unique infinite health and mana potions!?

Threads that no longer serve a purpose. Read-only.
ebdekamberg
Invader
8 | 0
Hey guys :)

Iam very excited to get into the new Median XL Sigma update and i have only one question:

Is it possible to get damage numbers above enemy´s heads? Maybe only a option to show them!? This would be a dream since modding to d2, something like diablo 3.. :)

I think its possible because the system knows what damage you are doing but is it even possible to show it on screen?
For those who dont like that, it should be a option to enable or disable ;)

please god let it be my christmas present :mrgreen:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: 12.09.2019

The 2nd most anticipated thing is, the removing of old potions and replace them with infinite potions instead. Its so annoying to buy and put them all the time into the belt i really hope for a system like d3 is doing atm. Belts should have five slots or less and then we should get new infinite normal potions for health and mana. Maybe some unique ones like in poe or d3 which totally change the gameplay.. This would be sooo nice !

What do you think?
Edited by ebdekamberg 5 years.
plts88
Acid Prince
49 | 2
I have seen that done in Diablo 1, and you are right that it's possible. I'm also waiting for Sigma, and I guess there will be a lot of polishing later on. A bunch of options like the damage numbers would be nice.
Marco
Team Member
1952 | 1347
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Multiplayer Badge
Has won a multiplayer contest
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Yeah I really like this idea. It won't happen on first sigma release, but there are hopes that it could get included in the future.
ebdekamberg
Invader
8 | 0
oh my god :bounce: :flip:

please diablo-god let it be an easy implementation, and maybe a fast one :P
plts88
Acid Prince
49 | 2
I don't know the ways how the development team is working on Median XL, so I can't really tell. Generally speaking, retrieving values from the memory is quite simple. Displaying the floating numbers (in a nice way) is a different thing. Also, the big amount of monsters displayed on the screen can possibly lead to some issues.

Edit: If the purpose of the damage numbers is only to give an idea how much you are dealing damage, then one really simple solution would be to display only the amount which was substracted from the current target's health. The number could be at a static location under the health bar, and only shows how much the current target lost hp.
ebdekamberg
Invader
8 | 0
updated the topic because this would be my 2nd most anticipated feature

*The 2nd most anticipated thing is, the removing of old potions and replace them with infinite potions instead. Its so annoying to buy and put them all the time into the belt i really hope for a system like d3 is doing atm. Belts should have five slots or less and then we should get new infinite normal potions for health and mana. Maybe some unique ones like in poe or d3 which totally change the gameplay.. This would be sooo nice !

What do you think?
Unda
Onyx Knight
621 | 23
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
ebdekamberg wrote:updated the topic because this would be my 2nd most anticipated feature

*The 2nd most anticipated thing is, the removing of old potions and replace them with infinite potions instead. Its so annoying to buy and put them all the time into the belt i really hope for a system like d3 is doing atm. Belts should have five slots or less and then we should get new infinite normal potions for health and mana. Maybe some unique ones like in poe or d3 which totally change the gameplay.. This would be sooo nice !

What do you think?

Before even thinking about potions rework you must first be sure which gameplay mechanics changes will find its way to Sigma 1st release, for example if some uber levels will get one time use Portal entrance and many more.

Imo potions are in good spot right now for MXL2017 and there is still many ways of improvements (right affixes, crafts, mystic orbs, regeneration/replenish) for builds with mana/health in mind but players often choosing other affixes on their gear.

I dont know what is so annoying with buying potions, maybe SHIFT on your keyboard is broken? SHIFT+RMB on potion in shop will fill all empty slots in your belt, SHIFT+LMB on potion in your inventory will move it to your belt.

Cheers.
ebdekamberg
Invader
8 | 0
In a programmer language its redundant to do always the same (like buying potions all the time and spend time for it) its simple a bad game design to do something like that. Noone should do it 1000 times because a stupid programmer did that mistake of creating such a system.
Why are we here and not on the vanilla diablo 2 ? Because we have the year of 2018 and with that, new , better examples of how such a system should work.
that would be a overall improvement and that is what the median team always did to the existing diablo 2 game

its alot better if potions have a cooldown or something else instead of having billions of potions in the inventory and putting them always in the same spot again and again

1 infinite potion of health and 1 infinite potion for mana would do the work alot better ;) but now with different mechanics like cooldows or replenish them.(poe styl)

another example of a unfinished project is the endurance bar :D its useless. why have they done this system? think about that
Unda
Onyx Knight
621 | 23
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
All I said was that atm that system is well balanced (many affixes for melee and casters to handle health/mana pools) and with available affixes and stuff I mentioned you can use less pots.

There is always space for improvements with any mechanics, I tried different ones in few games and each had its pros and cons. I know its now all hype and everyone want Sigma to be perfect and include best things from all games in genre but look back and see how much work was needed to push Sigma to where it is now. Judging by time which passed, complex potion rework would be one of the biggest areas touched so dont expect it in less than two years from Sigma release, even if they will decide its needed.

Who knows what they had in mind with stamina, Dark Souls system with endurance/stamina was alright.
ebdekamberg
Invader
8 | 0
indeed . i hope we´ll see some faster improvements :P maybe we all should donate alot more for those ancient/holy crew members