[MXLS] Unique Item Rework

Threads that no longer serve a purpose. Read-only.
Seekers
Ice Clan
597 | 99
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Fallenruin wrote:
aivwaras wrote:Some enjoy that some don't :) I like doing the run through difficulties for the first time on a new ladder, but the main selling point of this mod to me is the endgame content (which it has tons of), min-maxing, and farming to enable various non-cookie cutter builds. Tedious leveling experience would take a nice portion of appeal from me.

I agree, everyone has a certain thing they prefer to do, but I think Sigma is great because I never really enjoyed or understood heroic shields, and now that I'm actually doing ubers, I've come to hate heroic shields even more. Sounds like bounties will be right up my alley too! I think Sigma is definitely going to adhere to everybody's play-style and improve greatly upon it.

But to try to stay on topic, I think the OP is fantastic. I whole-heartedly agree with this change and support it 100%.
Thank you for all the hard work you've all put into this project Marco & Friend's. :D

It'll look great on the resume's ;)

Heroic shields were a bandaid fix because there's no way to increase HP to values that wont make the bosses get instagibbed by endgame chars. They ''simulate huge pools of HP''. It was either this, or making every boss except for early game ones purify bosses.

And tyty SB, pls buff sssu short bow needs 100% ctc hellgate on striking.
But seriously, good job.

EDIT: A serious question: will there, in general, be MORE or LESS damage in Sigma? Because as I saw, several items received numerics buffs, that translates into more damage, but I think that Marco said somewhere that all numbers will be toned down?
Segolia
Djinn
541 | 38
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
The damage cap was greatly increased (billions I think?) by whist, so I don't know if his statement still stands.
archon256
Cog
227 | 10
Legendary Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
On top of that Sigma now has a way to even further increase boss EHP (by reducing all damage they take by X) so I don't think the numbers need to be toned down.
Strigvir
Vampiress
38 | 1
Seekers wrote:EDIT: A serious question: will there, in general, be MORE or LESS damage in Sigma? Because as I saw, several items received numerics buffs, that translates into more damage, but I think that Marco said somewhere that all numbers will be toned down?

They will only be toned down for early game, to make it painfully slow and promote twink... realm trading.
AzureGladiator
Heretic
429 | 94
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Contest Badge
Has won a forum contest
Will there be new weapon appearances for the reworked uniques? I always thought it would be cool if the rarest weapon of each category had their own unique look :).
Deleb
Fallen
1 | 0
Something that would enable more different character builds (and looks) would be to have well-balanced 2 handed weapons. The only time I can remember wielding a 2-hander weapon that actually kicked ass, was back in regular d2 after making a BOTD in the biggest etheral maul the game had to offer to balance the life loss from not blocking with a shield...

Most 2-handers don't seem to get enough good stats to balance this and so we end up with everyone using the same old sword and shield combination...

Would it be possible to add a small weapon parry % to some weapons? Or maybe a speed bonus to character for not using any shield with a one handed weapon? How about giving 2 handed weapons armor damaging properties or partial damage dealt even when blocked? Because I don't care how big your shield is, if you get hit full force by an epic level character wielding the biggest maul out there, you should feel it...

Anyway , just throwing some ideas out there :)
suchbalance
Team Member
1756 | 513
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Common Skill Badge
Experienced Player
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Great Mind Badge
A Median XL guru... a true book of knowledge
That's not really an accurate statement. If you actually take a look at the melee builds across classes the 1h-2h divide is fine.

Amazon & Assassin melee builds use almost exclusively 2h weapons (spear, naginata).
Barbarian melee builds in order of popularity are something like 2h>DW>2h sword + shield>1h + shield.
Druids mostly use 1h + shield, so do paladins and the sorceress of course.
Necromancers virtually all use 2h (scythe).
robinro
Azure Drake
162 | 4
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Deleb wrote:Something that would enable more different character builds (and looks) would be to have well-balanced 2 handed weapons. The only time I can remember wielding a 2-hander weapon that actually kicked ass, was back in regular d2 after making a BOTD in the biggest etheral maul the game had to offer to balance the life loss from not blocking with a shield...

Most 2-handers don't seem to get enough good stats to balance this and so we end up with everyone using the same old sword and shield combination...

Would it be possible to add a small weapon parry % to some weapons? Or maybe a speed bonus to character for not using any shield with a one handed weapon? How about giving 2 handed weapons armor damaging properties or partial damage dealt even when blocked? Because I don't care how big your shield is, if you get hit full force by an epic level character wielding the biggest maul out there, you should feel it...

Anyway , just throwing some ideas out there :)

im not sure, but maybe you havent realized that blocking works differently in median xl than in vanilla.
if you play a str build without full commitment to dex you wont have any effective shieldblock.
also the phys dmg you deal with 2h is a lot more than with a 1h weapon since you have more basedmg and (on most 2h weapons) a higher strdmg modifier.
there are still some full str builds which prefer 1h nonetheless like ww druid for max attackspeed reasons, or simply because the better stat combos you can have with 2 items and/or more socketspace.
if you aim for high physdmg though 2h should be superior (also most 2h su's have superior stats compared to 1h)
void
Shadowgate Totem
1771 | 97
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Would be cool to see a new reworked unique every once in a while to keep the hype going. :thumb:
RequiemLux
Sand Maggot
1125 | 288
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
This was so badly needed, thank you very much