[MXLS] Charms Overhaul

Threads that no longer serve a purpose. Read-only.
UncleGrimjerk
Monkey King
268 | 31
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Go nuts Marco!!! Do what you gotta do.

Couldn't the whole "but the ubers will be roflstomped by L33T players" thing be offset by bringing back the hardmode charm?
Food
Core Lord
360 | 32
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
I wholly support this decision, because as others have said lowering stats (including damage) all around makes high-hp bosses possible, which reduces dependency on mechanics such as very high avoid and heroic shields, without making the bosses themselves squishy.

As Heathen said, I guess gameplay will be pretty similar, just with lower stats. The biggest difference will be more skill-based (as opposed to luck-based) boss battles imo, which is a great thing. This in turn lessens the importance of the -x% enemy resists affixes which, as stated, will make more diverse itemization more viable than it is now.

What I would also like to see is maybe a bit more emphasis on crafting and / or more charges for every shrine, so the need to farm them is lessened and managing them is less of a pain, but I don't pretend to know enough about the mod to know if such changes would be unbalancing, especially in the new paradigm Marco is envisioning.
void
Shadowgate Totem
1771 | 97
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
It's not like there's much risk involved.
If this turns out to be not that great, the patch after this one Marco can just reuse XVc base for modding. But of course I hope that won't be needed.
MUS01
Cog
201 | 3
I suppose that certain features like Max Block will be adjusted... Cause actually with nearly 18 charms(actually "imbalanced charms") on my javazon, going full dex, t6 equipment and with only p amatistas on my gear, I have only 44% of block. With the overhaul, and in the transition of farming for sus, how much block an average player can get? 30, 40%? Damn... even now get max block is really hard to get....
Somnus
Joyboy
1336 | 126
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Great Showcase Badge
Bored at work? Come watch my stream!
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
MUS01 wrote:I suppose that certain features like Max Block will be adjusted... Cause actually with nearly 18 charms(actually "imbalanced charms") on my javazon, going full dex, t6 equipment and with only p amatistas on my gear, I have only 44% of block. With the overhaul, and in the transition of farming for sus, how much block an average player can get? 30, 40%? Damn... even now get max block is really hard to get....

Hard to get? Does your shield have 4% or 5% block? It makes a huge difference. 15-20% block diff iirc
MUS01
Cog
201 | 3
4%, setzchield. Like I say, I'm talking like an average player.... (I don't get that damned Dmnaku)... Other no class specific shields only get 3%, giving even less block.
Somnus
Joyboy
1336 | 126
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Great Showcase Badge
Bored at work? Come watch my stream!
Great Guide Badge
MUS01 wrote:4%, setzchield. Like I say, I'm talking like an average player.... (I don't get that damned Dmnaku)... Other no class specific shields only get 3%, giving even less block.

At lvl 120, destruction, with basic charms and a basic crafted shield you should be able to get 75% block with a 5% block shield (+1% to block) and thats basic in this game, being able to use the cube recipes is the core >A<!
Marco
Team Member
1952 | 1347
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Multiplayer Badge
Has won a multiplayer contest
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Somnus wrote:
MUS01 wrote:4%, setzchield. Like I say, I'm talking like an average player.... (I don't get that damned Dmnaku)... Other no class specific shields only get 3%, giving even less block.

At lvl 120, destruction, with basic charms and a basic crafted shield you should be able to get 75% block with a 5% block shield (+1% to block) and thats basic in this game, being able to use the cube recipes is the core >A<!

not really, it requires a lot more than that to hit maxblock
Wulf
Onyx Knight
648 | 120
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Marco wrote:as it totally kills quest re-running

I would say thats an actual problem right now. Like its been said, perf charm = pce out uber lvl
archon256
Cog
227 | 10
Legendary Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Not entirely sure how to feel about this. On the one hand charms have mostly been about a reward for completion for me, and I would carry them around even if they had no stats. But at the same time it's a really nice feeling to do Uberquest X, get its charm, and then go and complete Uberquest Y that you weren't able to do before. It feels way better to me than grinding some uber for hours and having a rare item drop, because that just feels tedious and random.

Heathen wrote:Just seems the biggest current problem is stat inflation. The old engine doesn't like big numbers, so monster healthpools get supplemented with shields to compensate. And what I think Marco is suggesting is a total reduction in stats, so those shields aren't needed anymore. But the game will ultimately be pretty similar. E.g.

-Player dps gets nerfed from 1k to 100.
-Monster Healthpool nerfed from 10k to 1k.

It's the same damn thing, except then Marco can get rid of those stupid invulnerable shields.

I have no problem with that, but based on the opening post it looks like the ratio of how effective charms are to how effective items are is going to change. Maybe that does need to change for the betterment of the game, IDK.