[MXLS] Charms Overhaul

Threads that no longer serve a purpose. Read-only.
Marco
Team Member
1952 | 1347
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Multiplayer Badge
Has won a multiplayer contest
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
archon256 wrote:But at the same time it's a really nice feeling to do Uberquest X, get its charm, and then go and complete Uberquest Y that you weren't able to do before.

Except that's not actually how it plays out in most cases. Let's give an example many can relate to - builds that are not so good in judgement day. We all know the medallion is totally broken and you need it as soon as possible. Now, builds that don't have summons + fast casting rate cannot beat it (talking about the average median player here). And lolsummons will only be helpful if you have a build with good defense / regen.

Now we all know how this goes, you try 30 times to beat it until you get frustrated and respec to a build that meets the conditions or just call a friend if you fail or you're assassin. This doesn't really feel like accomplishment if you ask me. And don't focus on this example too much as the list is infinite. Try to get your summons not to target the immune mobs while trying to do Azmodan (another must charm) if you're playing a summoner. The idea of lowering charm stats is to add some flexibility in the progression of uberquests. I don't know why most people assume "charms will be too weak to make a difference", that's wrong. Charms will still do what they do and some charms will still be really powerful.

As for gearing, that's a pretty complex topic. But I can assure SU/SSU/SSSU dominance will get weakened by charms nerf. We all know dex-builds have an edge in median. Lower +stat boost will require investment in strength. But stat requirements will apply to all builds and it will lead to people think of more creative gear setups rather than "oh I have enough strength to just go straight to the strongest items". On the other hand, since a lot of stats will no longer be fulfilled thanks to charms, people will start using gear that offers plain stats instead of procs. And here is where crafted items will start to shine more, as there will be also a buff to them (shrine-specific stats will always appear in order to reduce rerolling. And much more changes to everything that I cannot list yet.
Somnus
Joyboy
1336 | 126
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Great Showcase Badge
Bored at work? Come watch my stream!
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Sugoi, Marco-kun! Cant wait for it.

#Ganbare!
suchbalance
Team Member
1756 | 513
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Skill Badge
Experienced Player
Median XL Team Member
Great Mind Badge
A Median XL guru... a true book of knowledge
Marco wrote:shrine-specific stats will always appear in order to reduce rerolling.

I wonder if the "decrease maximum mana" will also always appear on the spell caster shrines, to enforce the new skill mana costs :twisted:
MUS01
Cog
201 | 3
So, with the new changes in the stats, max block will be tweaked? If already is really hard to get, with the stats in charms being nerfed, then will become nearly impossible to get it... giving a great advantage to defense builds,like Treewarden.

Lastly, the example is good and bad at the same time. Why? Cause many ubers are imposible for certain builds for the MECHANICS, not the gear(including charms). (Bowazon in Ureh comes to my mind). or Brother laz for ranged builds. Any tweak in the uber, without none change in the mechanic, will be no relevant...(A summoner able to defeat laz? No in this world) and the even, the "balanced" uber will be more frustrating for the average player...
Monkey King
264 | 20
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Contest Badge
Has won a forum contest
Some ubers like ureh or laz are mostly gear checks. Builds are usually dedicated just for 1 uber in that case. I dont see how is this important for relevant to the convo
Somnus
Joyboy
1336 | 126
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Great Showcase Badge
Great Guide Badge
01001010 wrote:Some ubers like ureh or laz are mostly gear checks. Builds are usually dedicated just for 1 uber in that case. I dont see how is this important for relevant to the convo

Laz is gear check? I see it more mechanics/skills than gear. #StillNuubfor2016
Monkey King
264 | 20
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Contest Badge
Has won a forum contest
You still need some kind of dedicated gear/build. Thats what i meant. Gear check isnt the proper term yeh. #hashtagswheretheydontbelong1337
MUS01
Cog
201 | 3
Somnus wrote:
01001010 wrote:Some ubers like ureh or laz are mostly gear checks. Builds are usually dedicated just for 1 uber in that case. I dont see how is this important for relevant to the convo

Laz is gear check? I see it more mechanics/skills than gear. #StillNuubfor2016

Ohh you have never see the "tutorials" for killing laz? (1 made from Marco) Yeah, Laz IS skill more gearcheck (no reanimates, 100% OW, etc ). Same thing for Ureh, and others.

I understand the Marco's words like an advice for giving more chance of some builds, nerfing the charms in the process, of completing the major amount of possible ubers using the skil and strategy. My opinion in the topic was: nerfing charms will not solve the situation. I still keep my words until I can play the new version. In fact, I think this change will go in the opposite direction: more specialized builds for getting some charms... cause with the charms nerf you will not cover some weakness inherent to the build.

Still, the game need some major tweaks in the damage output: more purify bosses with instakill spells are not fun.
Marco
Team Member
1952 | 1347
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Multiplayer Badge
Has won a multiplayer contest
Median XL Team Member
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
suchbalance wrote:I wonder if the "decrease maximum mana" will also always appear on the spell caster shrines, to enforce the new skill mana costs :twisted:

It will probably get removed since I don't really see the point.

MUS01 wrote:So, with the new changes in the stats, max block will be tweaked? If already is really hard to get, with the stats in charms being nerfed, then will become nearly impossible to get it...

What an interesting point of view!! Apparently "Max block" is a stat on it's own and having 50% or 74% block is useless.

MUS01 wrote:Ohh you have never see the "tutorials" for killing laz? (1 made from Marco) Yeah, Laz IS skill more gearcheck (no reanimates, 100% OW, etc ). Same thing for Ureh, and others.

Gear check means that given certain gear, you are granted to beat a boss with low effort. Saying laz is gear check is dumb because there's no gear that will guarantee you a win (unlike ubers like QT where you become immune with absorb). In fact, there are no mandatory stats besides purify oskill to beat laz, you are free to focus your survability on def/block/movility/regen/etc.

MUS01 wrote:My opinion in the topic was: nerfing charms will not solve the situation. I still keep my words until I can play the new version. In fact, I think this change will go in the opposite direction: more specialized builds for getting some charms... cause with the charms nerf you will not cover some weakness inherent to the build.

Question is - have you even read the topic? The last sentence makes me want to facepalm really bad.
Somnus
Joyboy
1336 | 126
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Great Showcase Badge
Great Guide Badge
Marco wrote:Gear check means that given certain gear, you are granted to beat a boss with low effort. Saying laz is gear check is dumb because there's no gear that will guarantee you a win (unlike ubers like QT where you become immune with absorb). In fact, there are no mandatory stats besides purify oskill to beat laz, you are free to focus your survability on def/block/movility/regen/etc.

This is what I was talking about Laz = mechanics and skills. There's no way you can do Laz with gear check like, for example, quov tsin (450% res and -200dr).