[MXLS] Charms Overhaul

Threads that no longer serve a purpose. Read-only.
Alkaiser
Balrog
122 | 4
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Do want. I never feel excited to play Median anymore because of those blasted charms. An overhaul may bring me back :twisted:
shnurr214
Ice Clan
597 | 47
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
sounds amazing!
Mountaincreature
Sasquatch
60 | 1
Love this idea so much, can't wait to play the new patch!
kiki22vu
KOSOVAR
573 | 45
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
There is only one negative thing this prolly wont be out until december 2016 with all that new stuff being added :)
villur
Rust Claw
86 | 4
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
While it seems long overdue, im glad this is finally being done :)
Taem
Necrobot
2474 | 151
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Marco wrote:[b]I just wanted to illustrate how broken the combined amount of stats from all items is.

To be fair, the bosses/ubers were in fact balanced around just this, so to say it's "broken" is not really true in that regard. However, I get the point you're trying to make about how half the ubers can't even be completed without the rest of the charms, but tbh, I always thought that's how mxl was meant to be played. Are you suggesting all ubers to be dumbed down to the point anyone can do them once they hit 120? Doesn't that defeat the point of "hard" ubers? I think having tiers of Uber difficulty should stay personally or there's nothing to stop a player from just roflstomping the entire game at clvl120. But in that regard, I do like the idea of lowering the bonuses output by charms, and thus lowering the difficulty of each uber and in turn getting rid of the purify or other one-trick pony methods used to make ubers harder. I think this would also allow for more variety in charms, and for more charms themselves, to the point where a player must chose to keep charms, or inventory space. In any regard, good luck! Seems like a massive undertaking.
Taem
Necrobot
2474 | 151
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
If Purify is removed, then perhaps in Sigma, I'd like to see some ubers that are only hittable when a specific shrine is touched, and the shrine timer counts down to like 2 minutes before vanishing. In my mind, I feel that'd be a fun uber, to have to be able to reach the area in time and defeat the boss, rather a summon in a specific spot, or an actual uber level with a boss at the end. With Purify, you get to try again and again, but this would make a sense of urgency unless you could find 2+ per game. I know this iisn't a suggestion thread, but felt the concept fit in well here.
void
Shadowgate Totem
1771 | 97
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
The thing about Purify is that it's got fixed damage, fixed missile count and fixed spell timer. Basically it doesn't change at all no matter what you do. IMO this is what makes Purify ubers special vs other ubers where you, for the most part, just need to oneshot bosses. I can't imagine an uber that works "like" Purify ubers when there are no skill restrictions.

BTW that's not to say that I enjoy any of the Purify ubers, but I just can't imagine doing BLaz with Thunderstone sorc. :P
Daimoth
Stone Warrior
34 | 4
Regardless how you handle charms, some way to condense them into meta charms would be a nice little reward for completing a bunch of ubers rather than just the ones you need. Even if there were no additional bonuses other than the freed up inventory space, it's an idea I'm surprised isn't already implemented in one fashion or another.
suchbalance
Team Member
1757 | 513
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Skill Badge
Experienced Player
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Great Mind Badge
A Median XL guru... a true book of knowledge
Meta charms will never be a thing - otherwise Truine cycles become too overpowered. This would completely negate the effects of the charms downscaling.

Also I'm not sure that most people understood Marco's intention (or maybe it was I who misunderstood).

Marco wrote:1) Many builds have become non viable simply because they lack uberpower. The goal here is to simply make builds that are not that straight forward not get so punished when they first hit the end phase of the game.

2) Median XL isn't all about: What build can beat all ubers?

How I understand those lines: 1) Difficulty would be such that a larger variety of builds will be able to progress through destruction and complete a number X of ubers by playing correctly / having correct itemisation INSTEAD of needing the support of charms. AKA more emphasis on smooth progression and gameplay (if you got the skill) rather than gearing/grinding/trading for charms.

2) The hardest of ubers will still remain difficult. I would expect the monsters in the toughest ones to be nerfed lightly or even perhaps none at all. If the design is that no one should expect to clear all ubers with the same build, this increases the design space to make the top 1-X of ubers that Marco likes the most a true challenge.