Trap Rat - Single target help? Possibly craft blade?

Discuss Median XL!
Legendaire
Dark Huntress
11 | 0
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Hey, so as Trap Rat I'm pretty strong, have about 70% of charms, but I can't even kill baal... well I can but it takes ridiculously long.

Currently using
Drow Valor
, clearly designed for mass clears

What's the best way to kill people like azmo or baal as trap rat?

Is there a specific weapon I can switch to for single target? Is there a craft I could make:? (please be very specific on what it needs since I'm guessing it's a CTC)

Thanks!!
Goodkidscc
Core Lord
369 | 0
You can craft daggers with ctc flameront on striking
Stereox
Cog
247 | 4
CTC spells are useless if you got no ele pierce to be honest. Get Arrow/Knife/Javelin CTC if possible with Creepy crafts
Crash
Madawc
6799 | 327
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Legendaire wrote:Hey, so as Trap Rat I'm pretty strong, have about 70% of charms, but I can't even kill baal... well I can but it takes ridiculously long.

Currently using
Drow Valor
, clearly designed for mass clears

What's the best way to kill people like azmo or baal as trap rat?

Is there a specific weapon I can switch to for single target? Is there a craft I could make:? (please be very specific on what it needs since I'm guessing it's a CTC)

Thanks!!

If you're struggling with elemental pierce to get full output from your ele damage, then just make a pure physical setup and focus on crushing blow, deadly strike, and high physical damage.

Baal is not meant to be easy anymore, so a lot of people struggle with him the first few times around before you get familiar with how it works. Crafting a blade is a nice option. You can use Weird Shrines (more ed/flat damage), or Creepy shrines (crushing blow) or just go full abandoned shrines (%dex/flat dex/attack rating) since you get more damage and block from dexterity.

Quill Storm will not be so great against Baal simply because he teleports when he takes damage so often. Have you tried Thorn Wall? It has a better WDM percent and doesn't hit for a fraction of a sliver per quill (i.e. less teleporting, more damage hopefully).

Crafting a blade can also give you up to 30% slow target, so definitely look for that. I wouldn't bother with looking for a proc on striking, since the only ones on striking on blades will be Flamefront (really great if you have a lot of fire pierce and some fire spell damage) and Time Strike (delayed WDM attack, not terribly strong or reliable with how much he moves).

There isn't a whole lot you can do otherwise with SU's or RW's. SSU Dirk has some good defensive stats (lots of slow target) or Lo RW blade can give you 33% slow, but otherwise don't help your damage too much. Maybe look into making an Ix RW Blade
Rattus
. Life on Striking and 13% Crushing Blow is huge along with some flat damage.

On switch, you can add
Instinct

Instinct
One-Handed Axes

'IgnGurTyrZod'
Runeword Level: 115
+6 to Druid Skill Levels
+(48 to 60)% Bonus Damage to Mark of the Wild
+(18 to 20)% Bonus Elemental Damage to Mark of the Wild
110% Attack Speed
(150 to 250)% Bonus to Attack Rating
+(45 to 55)% to Fire Spell Damage
-50% to Enemy Fire Resistance
Physical Resist (10 to 15)%
+(215 to 265) Life after each Kill
for a huge physical damage boost to mark of the wild.
Goodkidscc
Core Lord
369 | 0
Stereox wrote:CTC spells are useless if you got no ele pierce to be honest. Get Arrow/Knife/Javelin CTC if possible with Creepy crafts

It makes a bi difference when you can fire off flamefront at machine gun speed.
Legendaire
Dark Huntress
11 | 0
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
TY for the help.

Is the problem that I'm not reaching high enough -res with my cold damage? I use both Frost Hunter (Ice lance on strike) and Flying Saucer (Cyrobeam on strike), but it doesn't seem to be doing much.

Maybe I could use some additional -enemy res (I have black dwarf for instance) what am I trying to hit to pierce into Baal (checked the wiki, it doesn't say?)

Or I could use a specific craft blade with flamestrike and some -fire res

Or crushing blow could just work, I have near 100% chance but it seems to do nothing (maybe my AR is too low/???)

(PS, I could figure out how to kill Baal over time it's not that hard at all, this is more just to learn the mechanics I'm missing nowadays, I haven't played since -enemy res MO's were in the game and I knew the break points then)
Johnny Impak
Daystar
658 | 23
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Drow Valor is a TU, which at Destruction Baal is pretty outdated.

Tried Gehenna ? (Xar in any weapon) Put that on a sacred blade for a nice cold damage and pierce bonus. Definitely better than Drow Valor until you can make a triune blade and shield, which will raise your elem flat damage by a lot.

If you have 6x fire runes, use them in an armor to boost your flat fire damage by a lot. Admitting you smaxed force of nature, you should tear appart any enemy. At least it was true before MXL2017.

PS: Procs like those you mentioned need high spell damage and -res to be effective, hence why you don't see much difference. Sure you shoot lots of them, but they deal tiny damage each
krex87
Cog
205 | 9
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
a call out on the ctc flame front proc - you don't need to have crazy ele pierce and spell damage for it to clear super fast.
I did all easy and most mid charms and can easily farm TA, dcows, jungles, most areas of duncraig etc etc with this craft dagger.

I have lo rune helm, tu6 splint mail, tu6 heavy belt, rare blucker (+2sk, 10% dr) average fascinating crafted glove/boot and average rare rings/ammy. Roughly 130% fire spell damage with buffs (remember you get extra from acid fiends and motw) and around -40% pierce.

you can just point and click with trap rat, but you can be even faster if you are good at positioning your quill "traps" to maximize target density and proc chance. When you target a large group of enemies it's like a power washer of fire that erupts and wipes them all out.

But to be fair i couldn't do azmodan or baal effectively with this. But i doubt if any budget trap rat could.