S16 - MXL HC PVP Ironman Challenge - Week 4 (Rules & skills updated)

Discuss Median XL!
Teemo_Devil
Destroyer
7 | 0
Teemo_Devil/free/US Red
HohoHaha
Pit Knight
106 | 10
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
HohoHaha1817 / 10TG (Fumbles) / VN / Red + Green
Crash
Madawc
6799 | 327
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
NLGElijah wrote:
L H wrote:need more signups for the event.

Also curious for those who aren't signing up.. why? why not? Post your reasons here and perhaps the events can be made more applicable. Do you not care for the 1 hour it takes to lvl to 18 and quick duel for a chance to get 60tg out of a 5tg investment?
Are you not familiar with low-lvl items and affixes to look for?
Are you not familiar with pvp?

There are a lot of ideas that can be implemented into these events, but they need more participation, so either sign up or try to give decent reasonings why you can't or how the events can be improved. Thanks all

Perhaps include a free tournament that happens once a week as well. Winner gets a 15 tg entry for the next normal tournament. Then people can test builds without a risk, and maybe get something out of it. Just my 2 cents.

Can't even get enough people on the weekend to join for one hour. hosting an entirely new one won't help.
NLGElijah
Vampiress
39 | 10
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Guide Badge
L H wrote:
NLGElijah wrote:
L H wrote:need more signups for the event.

Also curious for those who aren't signing up.. why? why not? Post your reasons here and perhaps the events can be made more applicable. Do you not care for the 1 hour it takes to lvl to 18 and quick duel for a chance to get 60tg out of a 5tg investment?

There are a lot of ideas that can be implemented into these events, but they need more participation, so either sign up or try to give decent reasonings why you can't or how the events can be improved. Thanks all

Perhaps include a free tournament that happens once a week as well. Winner gets a 15 tg entry for the next normal tournament. Then people can test builds without a risk, and maybe get something out of it. Just my 2 cents.

Can't even get enough people on the weekend to join for one hour. hosting an entirely new one won't help.

I think a lot of people have an issue with the required TG to enter. Some people haven't quite bought into the TG system yet, so it could be a good way to get them interested. Just my opinion. I know I personally didn't start doing the pvp tourney's until I got a free entry. Maybe that's what most people need.
Solfege
Harpylisk
1461 | 209
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
L H wrote:Also curious for those who aren't signing up.. why? why not? Post your reasons here and perhaps the events can be made more applicable. Do you not care for the 1 hour it takes to lvl to 18 and quick duel for a chance to get 60tg out of a 5tg investment?

Well, since you asked...

- Never done pvp in anything.
- Don't know how it works.
- Don't know how to itemize/optimize for pvp matches.
- Never actually played with others beyond helping occasional noob with a quest here and there.
- Nothing about pvp interests me.
- Filthy casual.

Why aren't others signing up? It's likely the appeal of pvp in Median was severely overestimated from the start.

Pvp is what elite players do when they know so much about a game they're bored with it. And it was the elite players who were really pushing for pvp. The problem is, most of the elite players are gone by the second week of the season. I'd bet most of the people playing this late in the season are still kinda newbish and still learning the game. And the idea of Johnny Newblood being thrown into the same arena as monsters like Seekers, Onions, Fumbles, et al isn't very appealing. And since it's HC, the idea of spending an hour building up your character just to die in the first 3 seconds of the match is even less appealing.

Also, as has been mentioned, the entry fee could be a barrier for new players. I'd guess the chance of a new player being willing to essentially throw away 5-15 TG on a match they have no hope of winning is pretty low.

-----------

Random thoughts on possible ways to improve pvp:

- Pvp in Median doesn't have a very good reputation balance-wise. Post a basic "How to PVP in Median" tutorial explaining how/why pvp is viable. A basic how-to for build optimization could also make the idea of pvp less intimidating for peasant-class players who don't know every little exploitable mechanic about the game.

- Set up a 2-stage League system (an Amateur League and a Pro League) with placement in each league depending on a player's win/loss ratio. Amateur League entry fees are 1-3 TG, Pro League entry fees are 5-15 TG.

- Encourage pro players to sponsor amateur players by offering to cover their entry fees (like Fumbles is doing).

- If the leagues grow and the pots get big enough, allow pro players to become managers. They'll cover entry fees, set up matches, etc. In exchange, they get a certain percentage of the pot if the player they're sponsoring wins. This will incetivize managers to seek out and train amateurs.

- Marketing. Get the word out there beyond this thread and Discord. At the very least, post notices in TSW lobby.

This would be a lot of work for whoever wants to run this pvp thing, but it shouldn't be a problem for someone passionate enough about making it work.

*Post edited for clarity.
Edited by Solfege 6 years.
Fumbles
Tantrum changes fan
1412 | 183
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Guide Badge
Not sure why Wildfire was removed. Its not that good of a skill (dmg is low early) and the only guy that died to it was already on low life. Thornstrike isn't an option because every class can out run tree due to its walk-only feature. Even if a tree does catch up, an enemy can run quicker than the skill can follow. With WIldfire's attack animation being faster, tree can reach better attack speed and have a slight chance.

I think something could change in the future to benefit melee. Like having melee only game and caster only game. I know there isn't enough players for it to be possible yet but in the current game melee will never have a chance at this low level. Most melee builds don't have access to the speed necessary to keep up with casters that can spam shit and kite everywhere.

Miasma - how is this still allowed?

Slayers - Also gay. Spam them and you can prevent anyone from coming near you. Again this is more of a problem for melee players, the knockback can't be overcome and the only option is to run away. Maybe they aren't summons that act on their own but they are still a summon.
NLGElijah
Vampiress
39 | 10
Great Popularity Badge
Common Guide Badge
Fumbles wrote: Slayers - Also gay. Spam them and you can prevent anyone from coming near you. Again this is more of a problem for melee players, the knockback can't be overcome and the only option is to run away. Maybe they aren't summons that act on their own but they are still a summon.

I am TOTALLY not biased in any way, but slayers should stay. They dont do that insane of damage, and people tend to arc them in a half circle which gives other player time to run to the other side of UHC pally. You can have run on against them due to the fact that they are casters so speed is the key. Melee wont stand a chance but casters can beat UHC no problem. If we have to get rid of Slayers for the above reasons, you'd have to ban totems too as they are essentially the same just targetable.
shnurr214
Ice Clan
597 | 47
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
i think what you guys are doing is great! However i just think most people not signing up "me included" have 0 interest in pvp in an arpg. It's not anything you guys are doing wrong promoting the events or anything really its just a factor of how small of a group would be interested when you take a small crossection of an already small gaming community.

like i said the events are cool and im glad you guys are organizing it, stuff like this excites different kinds of players which is good ! :D It should be exciting to see this at the beginning of next ladder as you guys will be pros at it running all these events now it will be a pretty smooth experience i imagine!

edit: clarity
Helzopro
Ice Clan
577 | 48
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Yeah I agree with Fumbles about Wildfire, the only reason I died to wildfire is because I'd already 'given up' at the start when I was dsyncd and couldn't hit anyone, so I thought i'd just get into a fire fight with Fumbles and not move. Wildfire should stay, it's not like treewarden can use any other ability.

Regarding why noone signs up, I guess it's because most people, including myself don't have the TG to sign up, I personally don't care if I win TG or not either, even if it was me buying in instead of Mahitovec buying me in when I play, TG isn't an incentive for me as I don't trade while playing ladder anyway.

E: Just wanted to clarify that even if I had TG I WOULD still play, because I think it's a pretty fun experience to be had, was just saying that to me, I don't care if I win or lose, it's all part of the experience.
willyboy
Abomination
151 | 18
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Some years ago I played PvP in a german d2LoD-board, it was SC and lvl9,18 and 27 leagues. Your mission was to find gear (jewels, charms, etc.) and play against others on fixed matchdays. That was really funny and a high motivation to farm things, that makes you better. there was also a good working trading-market for these items, espacially jewels and charms, bit also rares.

This way here in HC didnt motivate me to play this, thats the reason. Maybe for others its the TG, but Fumbles pays the last weeks for free entrys (thats amazing :yay: ). If needed, I can donate 100TG for 5TG entrys, thats 20 slots for interested people to test this and/or have fun. The mods can reach me here or in discord...