Best / easiest class for smooth duncraig runs?

Discuss Median XL!
daresso
Sasquatch
65 | 2
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
I second the melee barb for smooth Duncraig runs. My strategy is as follows: I blink into a room with my 1H and shield equipped. Then whirl through the slain souls while they throw barrels at my original location. I whirl to the otherside of the room, then switch to a 2H Labrys and start hitting the pack with deathgaze. I can clear Duncraig with zero deaths consistently.

romanN1 wrote:
HechtHeftig wrote:If It's about tanking the barrels: If a minion is right between you and the barrel as it explodes, your minion will die instead of you. So having lots of summons can help you a lot in this place. Saved my ass many times with my summoner nec.

I was actually reffering to punishment turret's OP aura. Check it out ;-)

Ah the aura...is that when Ureh boss Juris Khan can be so tanky while there is a turret up nearby ?
romanN1
Core Lord
397 | 34
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Yes. That aura gives you 100% dr% and magic res% or something like that.
Goodkidscc
Core Lord
369 | 0
romanN1 wrote:Yes. That aura gives you 100% dr% and magic res% or something like that.

I believe it only applies to minions.
aerial
Cow Ninja
1282 | 236
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Great Mind Badge
A Median XL guru... a true book of knowledge
I think if you want to really farm this place, it comes down to clear speed and ability to stack decent mf, not so much if you can tank barrels or not.
You want char that can 1 shot physical immune balls too.
While spiral barb can do it on budget, really avoiding those barrels thanks to WW, even if you have sick gear, clear speed isn't that insane, you have to often finish off balls with your attack, hit them couple of times. Having strong poison on hit makes it lot more smooth, so a snake stampede version really in long run is superior here. Few throws, everything is dead, 100% clean. You teleport with spirit walk so it moves you same as pounce. Alternatively you can go offhand sword and runemaster, and gain access to whirlwind.
You for sure don't want to deal with recasting any minions, if you think of efficient farming. They will die to explosions, even if they save you, thats time lost on recasting. If you have high defense character, basically if you can tank non-barrel hits there and you can move around through the enemies (pounce, spirit walk, ww, leap), you shouldn't be dying there, like ever. For that one super tiny room just cast TP off your belt, because once every few runs they will throw barrel there and its gonna explode before 3s void teleport cooldown and you will die. So tp from belt - jump to town, and then going back solves that problem.
Char like spearzon seems really straightforward in duncraig, you have 100% foolproof tool of avoiding that barrel after teleporting to next room, because pounce changes your location without cooldown. Your wdm nova with poison kills everything in few strikes, and you go to next room. Defensive stats are good enough to feel really safe there.
Lon
Vampiress
39 | 4
aerial wrote:I think if you want to really farm this place, it comes down to clear speed and ability to stack decent mf, not so much if you can tank barrels or not.
You want char that can 1 shot physical immune balls too.
While spiral barb can do it on budget, really avoiding those barrels thanks to WW, even if you have sick gear, clear speed isn't that insane, you have to often finish off balls with your attack, hit them couple of times. Having strong poison on hit makes it lot more smooth, so a snake stampede version really in long run is superior here. Few throws, everything is dead, 100% clean. You teleport with spirit walk so it moves you same as pounce. Alternatively you can go offhand sword and runemaster, and gain access to whirlwind.
You for sure don't want to deal with recasting any minions, if you think of efficient farming. They will die to explosions, even if they save you, thats time lost on recasting. If you have high defense character, basically if you can tank non-barrel hits there and you can move around through the enemies (pounce, spirit walk, ww, leap), you shouldn't be dying there, like ever. For that one super tiny room just cast TP off your belt, because once every few runs they will throw barrel there and its gonna explode before 3s void teleport cooldown and you will die. So tp from belt - jump to town, and then going back solves that problem.
Char like spearzon seems really straightforward in duncraig, you have 100% foolproof tool of avoiding that barrel after teleporting to next room, because pounce changes your location without cooldown. Your wdm nova with poison kills everything in few strikes, and you go to next room. Defensive stats are good enough to feel really safe there.

There's a spot in the tiny room that you can avoid barrel explosion, on the east side of it.
aerial
Cow Ninja
1282 | 236
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Great Mind Badge
Lon wrote:There's a spot in the tiny room that you can avoid barrel explosion, on the east side of it.

Are we thinking about same room?

it is just little square spot, can you hide there? Teach me.
Lon
Vampiress
39 | 4
aerial wrote:
Lon wrote:There's a spot in the tiny room that you can avoid barrel explosion, on the east side of it.

Are we thinking about same room?

it is just little square spot, can you hide there? Teach me.

Yes, teleport to room>kill mobs, when there's a barrel go to the corner. Try it!

aerial
Cow Ninja
1282 | 236
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Great Mind Badge
Nice to hear, didn't know you can hide there.
Crash
Madawc
6799 | 327
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
I've done that many times as well. I think there's a tiny spot in the map layout where you basically stand inside the edge of the map vs running into the rock and hitting the edge of the room. That's my guess at least. Sometimes you can block the barrels with torches in the corners of rooms as well, but I never tried to replicate it cause I didn't like being stuck :D

the nice thing about rooms with corner torches at least is that you can tele behind the torch and minimalize the amount of souls trying to slap you at one time, whereas otherwise you might get totally surrounded.
aerial
Cow Ninja
1282 | 236
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Great Mind Badge
I knew about torch, but didn't know that it also works in that corner that it can protect you from barrels every single time.