[MXLS] Charms Overhaul

Threads that no longer serve a purpose. Read-only.
Fenris
Stygian Watcher
43 | 1
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
I haven't read through the whole thread, so if I'm just reiterating something, I apologize.

One of the aspects of D2 that I always enjoyed was the variety of characters that were possible to make, and a large portion of them were quite viable throughout the game.

There is far more variety in median. The fact you can make a melee, ranged, summoner, or caster with each class is amazing. That's something that was NOT viable in classic/lod.

I will say that having reached the mid/end game with a melee necromancer has been a blast, but I am starting to see the charm dependency kick in. After leveling a character to 120, there's naught but finding charms and gear, some very specific, to be able to continue through the rest of the game.
Segolia
Djinn
541 | 38
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
There is far more variety in median. The fact you can make a melee, ranged, summoner, or caster with each class is amazing. That's something that was NOT viable in classic/lod.

Viable? No, any class can defeat hell. Optimal is more the correct term. /players 8 hc sp is a demanding adventure when you make unorthodox builds that aren't the meta builds you see grinding for lvl 99 on ladder.

But yes generally there are many builds that can be viable. Hell, I tried a psi-sin recently and it turned out a bit better than expected, compared how awful it was the past few years.
PodolskyV
Gravedigger
184 | 6
Marco, maybe you can make build diversity boost charms instead of stat boost charms. I mean +%damage to bloodlust, +max totems, +max banshes, +max elementals, increase effect of acid beast aura etc, some charms can transmutate some skills to new form. So if you use bloodlust, you keep charm in inventory, otherwise don't. If you need skill transmute for your build, you keep that charm, otherwise not. It could solve problem with inventory space since not every charm would be mandatory for each character.

It just a concept, I can't even imagine how difficult it would be to implement and balance all this stuff.
Marksman
Skeleton
3 | 0
Yes I agree all those bonuses is a bit much, but that's also considering we all have perfect stat charms with every trophy too... IMO if someone farms them to get that perfect... Well they deserve the power. Maybe just widen the scope of the bonus. Like instead of scroll of kings currents maybe (1-20)/(1-20). This would add more grind but whether you grind items or charms. You'll be grinding nonetheless if you want perfection. May as well make all charms need to be ran more and thus no one will have those epic stats. Just a thought.
Abats
Stone Warrior
30 | 2
Idk, i am new player.
Just done terror and pass to destruction with lvl 120

The uberlevels in early game is not really 'noob' friendly..
Like, in hatred no one noob can do any ubers for some rewards and begginer knowledge for later difficulty same uberlevels.
Noobs just enter any uberzone and die fast in there, and realizing that the game is not intended for them.
Nitz
Harpylisk
1476 | 57
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Abats wrote:Idk, i am new player.
Just done terror and pass to destruction with lvl 120

The uberlevels in early game is not really 'noob' friendly..
Like, in hatred no one noob can do any ubers for some rewards and begginer knowledge for later difficulty same uberlevels.
Noobs just enter any uberzone and die fast in there, and realizing that the game is not intended for them.

You don't have to do them. There isn't even a reward. In every normal RPG except for elder scrolls bullshit you die when you go where you shouldn't go. Good games have no lvl scaling. Imagine you play dark souls and you can do everything with lvl 1 (Ok bad example, I killed Magnus with lvl 1).
Fenris
Stygian Watcher
43 | 1
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Segolia wrote:Viable? No, any class can defeat hell.

I didn't say that every CLASS couldn't beat the game. In D2C/LoD, it wasn't viable to build every character class into every build, nor was it even possible. Summoner sorc? Didn't exist. Caster zon? Didn't exist.
Icegod101
Djinn
534 | 17
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
We can always summon 10 Volrath on HC for a more challenging game.

Just summon 2 for a bootleg death projector (-:
Orthrus
Prowler
19 | 0
I think that's a great idea. I never realized how much they did for you.

Quick question, do you plan to keep level challenges?
SnakekillerX
Cultist
20 | 3
Lower numbers all around is something I've always thought MXL needed. Its totally brutal as is and I don't know why so many extra 0's need to be on the end of everything.

Glad this is being changed for sigma, look forward to playing it one day.